Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Steampunk?

Any recommendations?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Not a lot of good steampunk I've found.... with one, massive exception: Perdido Street Station by China Mieville... The next couple of books are quite good, too. But Perdido is the best fantasy I've read in years.

Don't know if it's available in ebook.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I suppose it depends on what you consider to be steampunk. I am enjoying the His Dark Materials books. There's a nice list of Steampunk Novels at wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Steampunk_novels
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what is steampunk?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what is steampunk?
Well, it's generally a type of fantasy in which it is imagined that certain scientific and engineering breakthroughs occurred my earlier in history than they actually did.

So, steampunk is usually set in the Victorian Era, and for the most part has Victorian mores and sensibilities, but with steam powered flying machines and automobiles.

I suppose that one of the earliest bits of steampunk machinery I can think of would be in HG Wells "The Time Machine." The time machine itself, with all of it's intricate scroll work and beautiful detailing would be a piece of steampunk.

There was a movie a few years ago called "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" .... that's steampunk.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I'm still trying to get fictionwise to update the LIT version of perdido street station for my sony...their LIT format is missing a whole 50 some pages.

As for the rest of the books on the wiki page, hardly any are available in ebook :-(

Steampunk is one of my new fascinations lately. I've been trying to look into the whole subgenre for the better half of three months now. I don't want to kill anymore trees though =(
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It's not exactly steampunk, but in spirit it might be: The Diamond Age, by Neil Stephenson. The reason it's "not exactly" is that it's more set in a potential future than past, with nanotech. It kind of is because of the dominant presence of the "Neo-Victorian" culture, and because the nanotech operates via tiny gears and so forth, which really lends that cogwheel tech flavor.

There was a fun looking tabletop RPG out many years ago called Space 1899 that used a steampunk setting. Victorian ornithopters on Percival Lowell's Mars! I never did get a chance to play it, sadly. Too many games, too little time.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling is probably the only steampunk novel I've read. But there's a lot of steampunk anime series/movies if you'd like to try that. My favorite is probably Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water series, which is loosely based on Jule Verne's 20000 Leagues Under Water and directed by Anno Hideaki of Evangelion's fame. Other examples for movies are Hayao Miyazaki's Castle In the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle, Katsuhiro Otomo's Steamboy, Vampire Hunter D. The series: Fullmetal Alchemist, Last Exile, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Secret of Cerulean Sand, Trigun, The Vision of Escaflowne, Samurai 7, Sakura Wars, Steam Detectives.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I rather liked A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! by Harry Harrison.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I rather liked A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! by Harry Harrison.
As did I, but I wouldn't call it Steampunk. I see it as firmly alternate history, in a world where America lost the Revolutionary War.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
As did I, but I wouldn't call it Steampunk. I see it as firmly alternate history, in a world where America lost the Revolutionary War.
______
Dennis
I thought the flying boats that used a powdered coal for fuel and other equivalent technologies put it squarely in the steampunk arena even if it did have an alternative history bent to the story setup.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I thought the flying boats that used a powdered coal for fuel and other equivalent technologies put it squarely in the steampunk arena even if it did have an alternative history bent to the story setup.
Yeah, you can view it that way.

I guess my problem is that the whole concept of "steampunk" hadn't been invented when Harrison wrote that book. Nor had cyberpunk, for that matter.

So calling it steampunk is classification after the fact. There were various things called cyberpunk by the early proponents of the sub-genre that bemused the folks who wrote the works. Cyberpunk wasn't what they thought they were writing when they wrote it.

You can always play games with classification, and classify stuff after the fact. Personally, I shy away from that, and reserve the "steampunk" tag for books written by current authors who are actively trying to write that sort of book.
______
Dennis
Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think it can also be worthwhile saying, "If you like steampunk, you might also like..." for some of those works, though, don't you think?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
You can always play games with classification, and classify stuff after the fact. Personally, I shy away from that, and reserve the "steampunk" tag for books written by current authors who are actively trying to write that sort of book.
______
Dennis
Dennis, would you also acknowledge the possibility, though, that sometimes it's worthwhile classifying stuff after the fact, when, let's say, the "steampunk" existed in such form prior to the work of whichever author is labeled as having pioneered it (and, I guess also, it should be noted that the "pioneer" didn't actively try to write steampunk when the term didn't exist - s/he just became the "first" steampunk novelist)?

Incidentally, I've been enjoying your posts, with your detailed opinions on and references to books and authors you like/dislike or that just are related to whatever the current topic of conversation is. You've been giving me googling pleasure and some notations of future additions to the TBR-file/pile. Good show, fellow! (though I also curse you - I really don't need any more TBR additions )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I think it can also be worthwhile saying, "If you like steampunk, you might also like..." for some of those works, though, don't you think?
Sure, but if I don't think they were written to be steampunk, I don't call them that. The most I'll say is that they scratch the same sort of itch.
______
Dennis