Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
How Well Read Mobipocket (PRC) Files

In addition to my six-inch screen BeBook I am contemplating purchase of a five-inch reader. My preferred format is non-DRM Mobipocket (PRC) titles. Has any present owner of the five-inch Pocketbook experience with reading titles in this format? Some reviews of other five-inch readers indicate some dissatisfaction with reading titles in this format on them. Anyone have any problems in this regard with the Pocketbook?
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The generic issues with MOBI in FBReader are:

a) does not show the cover image.
b) ignores page break commands, and does not put a page break before each chapter.
c) does not read "high compression" MOBIs (fixed in the latest version, which isn't on any EInk devices yet).
d) images are always centered on the page and shown full size even if this overflows the screen.
e) no table support.

I regard all these as minor problems, except perhaps (c) although most MOBIs don't use high compression.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The generic issues with MOBI in FBReader are:

a) does not show the cover image.
b) ignores page break commands, and does not put a page break before each chapter.
c) does not read "high compression" MOBIs (fixed in the latest version, which isn't on any EInk devices yet).
d) images are always centered on the page and shown full size even if this overflows the screen.
e) no table support.

I regard all these as minor problems, except perhaps (c) although most MOBIs don't use high compression.
I'm not sure about that a), wallcraft. Cover displays nicely in my books on the PB360! Am I seeing things? c) I actually had one of those on MM. Wouldn't display!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Cover displays nicely in my books on the PB360! Am I seeing things?
Some MOBIs have a cover image embedded in the ebook's main flow as well as the guide-item cover image. It is the latter that FBReader does not display (and many recent MOBIs only have the guide item cover), but perhaps PocketBook has fixed this.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Some MOBIs have a cover image embedded in the ebook's main flow as well as the guide-item cover image. It is the latter that FBReader does not display (and many recent MOBIs only have the guide item cover), but perhaps PocketBook has fixed this.
It displays in Baen books. I have to check on some of my own as they only have the guide item cover. Will be back with an answer soon
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

In my initial query, I hadn't remembered (if I'd noted it at all) that the PocketBook uses FBReader. As I use OpenInkpot on my BeBook (which uses FBReader) and I have no problems reading Mobipocket titles on it, I believe it is therefore safe for me to assume that my experience with the PocketBook will be the same as with OpeniInkpot on my BeBook.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I believe it is therefore safe for me to assume that my experience with the PocketBook will be the same as with OpeniInkpot on my BeBook.
Yes, it is likely to be almost identical.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator

Checked it: cover pages are displayed. The version used by PocketBook is actually a forked version that SciFiFan developped for himself and there are a few ameliorations over the run of the mill versions. I guess this is one of them
Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
In my initial query, I hadn't remembered (if I'd noted it at all) that the PocketBook uses FBReader. As I use OpenInkpot on my BeBook (which uses FBReader) and I have no problems reading Mobipocket titles on it, I believe it is therefore safe for me to assume that my experience with the PocketBook will be the same as with OpeniInkpot on my BeBook.
Main differences between the OpenInkpot and Pocketbook 360 are:

- three margin size choices only; small, medium, and large. They are well-chosen and useful but still its only three
- no control over status bar, but again; the defaults are excellent
- tables of content aren't always recognized and presented, but when they are, they are very very good, listing actual, *accurate* page numbers for each entry

Pocketbook firmware shares many conceptual and code elements with OI so you'll take to it like a fish to water. They even made ADE almost bearable, compared to the hanlin release.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Main differences between the OpenInkpot and Pocketbook 360 are:

- three margin size choices only; small, medium, and large. They are well-chosen and useful but still its only three
- no control over status bar, but again; the defaults are excellent
- tables of content aren't always recognized and presented, but when they are, they are very very good, listing actual, *accurate* page numbers for each entry

Pocketbook firmware shares many conceptual and code elements with OI so you'll take to it like a fish to water. They even made ADE almost bearable, compared to the hanlin release.
Mostly correct, but:

You can remove the status bar on PocketBook. You have no influence on the appearance!

In the new firmware, TOCs are universally recognized. So are covers (99%)
Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which new firmware? Forkosigan's 14.2? The test 14.2?
Mine is only a week old so I'm working off the OEM install (november). I've been waiting for a non-test release since none of the issues I've run into are particularly offensive.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Which new firmware? Forkosigan's 14.2? The test 14.2?
Mine is only a week old so I'm working off the OEM install (november). I've been waiting for a non-test release since none of the issues I've run into are particularly offensive.
Fork's 14.2, yes! That's three days old!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
...Pocketbook firmware shares many conceptual and code elements with OI so you'll take to it like a fish to water. They even made ADE almost bearable, compared to the hanlin release.
In OpenInkpot I've been able to go into /home/user/.FBReader and program a space between paragraphs. Can I do the same with PocketBook?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In OpenInkpot I've been able to go into /home/user/.FBReader and program a space between paragraphs. Can I do the same with PocketBook?
Haven't the faintest...
There is a user-editable style.xml file but all I used it for was to tweak the first line indent.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Haven't the faintest...
There is a user-editable style.xml file but all I used it for was to tweak the first line indent.
That's an encouraging indication that other formatting aspects can be tweaked. Thanks. In which directory does this .xml file reside?