Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Smoutie
Smoutie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
How do I ...... ?

Hi everyone - I got my new Reader for my birthday yesterday and am pretty thrilled with it - though not with the cost and choice offered by Waterstone's, it has to be said.

Anyhoo - what I would like to do is remove all those "excerpts", pictures and other sample rubbish that came with the Reader - that is, remove it from the device itself, but keep it safely stored in the eBook Library software in case I'd like to look at it one day. Can anyone help me do this? I've tried messing around with the synchronisation but am stuck because I can't drag and drop files around in the eBook software in the way that I would have expected.

Thanks in advance!
S
Smoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoutie View Post
Can anyone help me do this? I've tried messing around with the synchronisation but am stuck because I can't drag and drop files around in the eBook software in the way that I would have expected.
You should be able to do this.

When you have the Book Library software open and your sony connected, on the left you will see the Sony listed. Select that with your mouse. Now, on the right you will see the list of files/books on the reader. You should be able to drag from that list to the "library" on the left pane. This will copy the book from the reader to the PC. It is the same way you can drag books from the library to the reader. Once you have dragged/coppied the ebook select library to ensure it is there... it should be.

After you have coppied the book you can delete it from the reader and it will remain on the PC.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Smoutie

Great - it worked, thank you Bob, that's what I call good service!

Turns out I was trying to drag directly into the Library subfolders rather than "Library" itself!

Thanks,
S
Old 10-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoutie View Post
Great - it worked, thank you Bob, that's what I call good service!
No problem. Thanks for your patronage, please come again.

BOb
Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
That quirk of the software annoys me greatly. You cannot drag a book onto the books folder, you have to drag it onto the Reader or Library folder and let the software determine that it is a book.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No problem. Thanks for your patronage, please come again.
My sarcasm detector is blinking wildly.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
My sarcasm detector is blinking wildly.
Actually, I was being genuine.

BOb
Old 10-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, I was being genuine.
Ah... the written form is ill-suited for nuance, sometimes one sees it where there is none (and vice-versa).

My bad.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Smoutie, let me add my welcome. As you've already discovered, it's a helpful group of folks who hang out here at MobileRead.

So introduce yourself ... where do you live? What kind of books do you read? What do you like about your Sony Reader? What are you thinking you'd like in the next generation?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
My bad.
No worries. I enjoy helping people here on the forum. I have received a bunch of help too. I just consider it a "pay it forward" type of thing too.

BOb
Old 10-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Smoutie and welcome to the Forum.

I gather you live in the UK since you bought your Sony at Waterstone's. I lived in Beds back in the mid-70's; LONG before eBooks were dreamed of.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
Valloric

Quote:
I just consider it a "pay it forward" type of thing too.
Nicely put. And I couldn't agree more.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Smoutie

Thanks for the welcomes, which I firmly believe are genuine, and here are the answers to your questions.

I do indeed live in the UK, in Edinburgh, and generally read what I would rather pompously call "quality fiction" (Booker nominees and all that) plus English-language classics - my European languages aren't up to much, unfortunately, so a lot of translations too. Plus most of the British broadsheet national papers - still on paper or on the web.

In the next generation, I'd like
- some sort of easy system to note interesting paragraphs, phrases and quotations, words I want to look up, etc.
- a real focus on integration - currently I'm carting around the Reader, my Ipod, my Blackberry, my laptop, plus lots of other junk. We must be getting nearer the stage of a truly integrated device that does everything without compromise.
- direct downloadability could be useful
- convergence of power sources! All the above, plus my camera, have to be charged up regularly, and each has its own power source. This is a major pain when travelling as if it's a longer trip, I need to pack FIVE chargers (if you include my laptop). This is silly, and the downside of competition.

What do I like about my new Sony Reader? Well right now I love it to bits as I can always have a book with me, regardless of handbag size. I guess in the end though it's just a channel and the content will be what makes it special. So far, I'm disconcerted by the rather trashy selection of books available via Waterstone's and the pricing is just silly - it'll drive everyone into low grade piracy. However, I've managed to buy a book from an American retailer called Books on Board, so will keep scouting round the web for other such alternatives.

So where are all you guys ?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Hello Smoutie, I live in the UK too (Cheltenham).

I used Calibre (http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ see also the support forum on this site) to copy the books excerpts from my new reader to my PC. This is a great piece of software which is a good replacement for the ebook library stuff that comes with the reader. I believe you only need the latter really if you are buying books from Waterstones, which are all copy protected.

I kept the excerpts on my reader to fill in, in between reading some of the free books you can get. I read the first two chapters of "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and as intended I was hooked, so I had to buy the complete book. Waterstones sell it for over £5, whereas it is only about £3 at Fictionwise. This is an American site where you can get books in "Multiformat", which includes the Sony format (lrf). I am reluctant to buy from Waterstones because they use copy protection on their lrf files. If, years in the future, Sony no longer support lrf (some thing better comes along), it is possible that all the copy protected lrf files will no longer be usable - there might not be any devices that can read them.

So, I suggest you check out Fictionwise too.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Smoutie, I live in Texas, about an hour north of the DFW airport. I bought a Kindle in February and I'm totally enamoured with the device. I had the opportunity to pick up a Sony second-hand and I'm enjoying having it. My justification for getting the Sony was because of the large number of books which have been uploaded to this site solely in the LRF format. I've learned how to make MobiPocket books from the original source/text, but I'm too lazy to chase down all the different books that I want to read, so I bought a Sony. It's a fine device, but I really like the ability to highlight and take notes that the Kindle gives me. And, while I could live without the WhisperNet feature, it really comes in handy those times that I just don't want to fire up the laptop to download a new book.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote