Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
You mean I'm in a fake group?!?!

Oh, the humanity!!!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
You mean I'm in a fake group?!?!

Oh, the humanity!!!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #33
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I just had a Disney moment. "I'm a real boy group!"
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #34
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Our group at https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/42178 is small but alive and kicking. Sometimes kicking hard, depending on my mood.
Yep.. That's the one I'm a member of.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #35
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
...The Goodreads app makes it simple for me to pop titles into a "might want to check this out someday" shelf when browsing newsfeeds and "what are you reading now?" threads. ....
I have used GR in the past (not as a member) to double check series info or see whatelse an author may have written. I have a special CIO (Check it out) column in my portable calibre for things I want to read, but an app to do this would be much easier for when I am out and about or just surfing...especially if I can later sync that list with my calibre - that would be golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
.... My "reviews" are probably not very useful to anyone else, but GoodReads will also tweet my reviews/ratings/quotes/status updates to my 3 Twitter followers automatically--thus saving me the effort of having to do so manually. It mostly works to amuse me.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And reviews of books I'm considering reading.....I also enjoy participating in the science, short story,

oh and the

ongoing battle over "The Road"

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...ated-this-book

-- love that thread.

In fact I better go prod it along....haven't seen much activity lately.
Not going there again - I agreed with everything that Kenny said. Clearly a strange and evil place.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #37
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
I've signed up for a GoodReads account, but I'm extremely confused about exactly what I'm supposed to do - do I log all the books I've ever read? (I could never remember!), or do I log all the books I read from my registration date onwards? How do some people thousands of books logged without remembering everything they've ever read?! Nobody can do that. What do I do if a book I'm reading isn't listed in their catalogue? Will I be kicked off if I don't read "fast enough"? Is it a reading website or a popularity contest?

It's definitely the strangest website I've ever signed up for. Are there any alternatives? What exactly IS its purpose?
You use it however YOU want.

Here are the things you can do, if you want:

Log the books you read--whichever you want to log. Rate them, review them if you want. You can join a group of people who enjoy the same authors/genres/whatever you like and do group reads if you like. Friend people. Those people will read, rate, and review books and you can decide whether you want to read the books they've enjoyed. Get automated or personal recommendations. Recommend books to friends if you think they'll enjoy them. Find out about new releases from authors you enjoy. Enter contests to win free copies of books that sound interesting. Use the cataloging data to find out what books are in what series in what order, including short stories/novellas. Develop a "to-read" list and refer to that when you are considering buying a new book, browsing OverDrive, or going to the library.

One of the things I enjoy is that if you have an upcoming release on your "to-read" shelf, Goodreads will email me when it comes out so I don't forget about it!

For a while I had my Goodreads reviews automatically ported to my romance review blog, but that project has been dormant for a while. But you can totally do things like that if you want.

There are so many ways to use Goodreads--you can really use it exactly the way you like and ignore the others.

Incidentally I have "thousands" of books logged because I read a lot, I read fast, and have been logging for a few years. I went back and logged some of my old comfort reads when I had some spare time. Also I tend to log short stories and novellas as well as novels. I think these "thousands" of books includes the ones I want to read but haven't yet.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #38
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I found Goodreads pretty confusing and not user friendly, but that was me. I gave it a go for a week and gave up on it. (shrugs)
GRs user interface is horrible. It is even worse on an iPad..

That being said, I added my favorites on GR when i joined, and know i use it to keep track of what i want to read, and what i have read, along with ratings.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #39
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
GRs user interface is horrible. It is even worse on an iPad..

That being said, I added my favorites on GR when i joined, and know i use it to keep track of what i want to read, and what i have read, along with ratings.
Doesn't the ipad have to use the app version? I know on my tablet I have used the android app, and you're right, it is not cool at all.

But the full site I find pretty easy to use. Might be because I'm familiar with it though...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Goodreads and Mobileread are the two most invaluable sites for my ereading pleasure.

I mainly use Goodreads to keep track of books that I've received recommendations for, heard are good, am curious about, etc. Then I can order that list into a queue and read them. It helps me know which books to send to my ereader, which ones to buy when I have a coupon, and which ones are available at my library. I sync my Goodreads wishlist with my luzme account, which emails me when an ebook on my to-read list drops in price. I use Listopia to help populate my to-read list.

ETA: I also use it to check reading order in a series and to find other books by an author that I like.
Ditto!
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #41
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Doesn't the ipad have to use the app version? I know on my tablet I have used the android app, and you're right, it is not cool at all.

But the full site I find pretty easy to use. Might be because I'm familiar with it though...
The app on my phone is not very good in terms of UI. I generally end up going to the full site instead, unless I'm afraid I will miss logging a book while on the go.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #42
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post

I use an iPad and I just use the website. I don't like the app at all.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #43
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I tried the app, maybe I should look at the website. The app was awful
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #44
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
The app (at least in Android) is much less robust and harder to maneuver than the full site. Though it does make it easier to add books by scanning the bar code.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #45
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
The app is crap. (Said the Brat in the hat...)

Seriously, though, it really is. I tried it once, uninstalled. They said the made major updates, tried it again, uninstalled. I also tried the iOS version on the work iPhone and it suffered from similar suckage.

I will say that the app can be good for adding / accessing books on the go, and it has improved in some areas, but it's still not very good for most of the other site functions.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote