Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #226
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom11k View Post
I am also looking for this unlocker and have had no luck finding it yet. Does anyone have this available for download or know where it can be downloaded?

Thanks in advance.
I have uploaded it to mediafire
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kc...g57/update.zip
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #227
freedom11k
freedom11k began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Excel (Onyx Boox M92)
Awesome! I was looking all over, even running Russian pages through Google translate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
freedom11k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #228
endless_reading
endless_reading began at the beginning.

Device: box M92, DXG
hop to delet this post

Last edited by endless_reading; 08-14-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: wrong posting
endless_reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #229
Delta25
Delta25 began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Here's something slightly different :

M92 Unlocker. Fixed update kernel, which bypasses password restrictions.
It allows one to install updates from any vendor.

Please keep in mind that installation of ArtaTech FW is illegal on generic M92 devices (i.e. not "Black Pearl") due to additional features such as IVONA TTS and Cloud Manager.

Installation :

1. Grab this zip : https://www.dropbox.com/s/11smdrxknpoxhdc/update.zip
2. Unpack it to root of your internal storage memory
3. Run flash.oar from your M92

Now you can install any update.

Hello Seaniko7

Is it possible to have again the update files? Thanks
Delta25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:24 AM   #230
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta25 View Post
Hello Seaniko7

Is it possible to have again the update files? Thanks
Try the MediaFire link generously posted at the top of this very page by Feher.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #231
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-23-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #232
docidocus
Enthusiast
docidocus began at the beginning.

A revival of the developer community

Hi all!

I did not want to start a new thread with the same topic, but rather come back to the initial topic of this thread. Although this thread is already stuffed with off-topic discussions...

Few years ago there were major activities around the Onyx Boox M92 on this forum. The user Seaniko7 was porting Ubuntu, others were trying to convince Onyx to publish all GPL sources and so on.

In the meantime, the released kernel source have vanished from the official repository by Onyx. The files for Obuntu are gone and with them the only person who had the sources and knowledge for this project. (I already tried to contact him but to no avail.) Also the other developers who had built and ported applications for the device seem to be gone or to be inactive for long. Booxtor with his shop do not seem to be interested in this device any more. The last firmware update from 2013 (!) still lacks release notes which "will be added later" (as stated in the update thread).

My question is simple: is there still anyone left who is interested in this device? And to be exact, in a developer community?

If so, may we join forces to build a community with one simple goal: using the basics built by Onyx for a free GNU/Linux OS for e-readers. Packages may follow of course.

As we see in the current discussion in another thread on this forum, Onyx is not willing to release its sources for the Android system of the M96. So to get the full sources for the older M92, there has to be a public interest to it. Older stories show us that Onyx is not cooperative. They published the kernel sources twice and deleted them shortly after again. If the custom patches were ever made public still unclear. The public SDK is out of date and vital sources are missing. This is the point to make our goal clear: we want Onyx to hand over the development of any software for the M92 to the community. This includes the never published sources of their own applications. This includes custom kernel patches. This may even include collected bug reports, so the community has a base to start on. Of course their very own programs may not be under the GPL, but our the goal of the community is no longer just porting applications to a restricted environment. What we really want to do is, continuing development where Onyx left off.

We should also work closely together with the people trying to get Onyx release the sources for the M96. Maybe even letting these projects merge in the future?

I do know this device is already some years old. I do also know there is the successor device M96 with an Android system. And last but not least I do know portable devices are today considered as consumable goods - but still I believe there can be freedom even with these more embedded systems. Why I drivel so much about this instead going off, working on Open Boox? Well, there are actually a couple of reasons. First of all, I do not want to build an alternative firmware. What I want to do is continue developing the official firmware with a free and open community. As a second reason, I do not own the Boox60 device. And lastly, the development stopped three years ago. What about PocketBook free? Just the same. They are even longer inactive.

I hope I could make my points clear in this rather long post. If there is anyone interested, please raise hands! I am looking forward to your replies.
docidocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #233
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
I have to admit I'm a bit more interested in the newer devices (and I don't have an M92 nor the necessary skills, for the time being).
But I definitely support the idea and initiative and would be happy to see something come out of this!
I think the android approach taken by onyx is nice, but I'd fell much more inclined to drop the not insignificant amounts of money needed on their hardware of I knew there was a chance for doing with the device what I want (or at least what others can), be that native Linux or cyanogenmod or whatnot. Not to mention a chance for further development when they inevitability lose interest.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:41 AM   #234
docidocus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
... if I knew there was a chance for doing with the device what I want (or at least what others can), be that native Linux or cyanogenmod or whatnot. Not to mention a chance for further development when they inevitability lose interest.
Exactly!

Cyanogenmod, their custom Android, and a open GNU/Linux distribution tailored for Onyx' e-reading devices... If they will contribute to openness in a way that makes this possible, it should at least strengthen their position on the market. Shouldn't that be in their own interest?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #235
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I have a M92. And I find this idea very interesting even I doubt to have the skill level to port the code.

I doubt that Onyx evolve favourably. Open firmware ? this implies that a part of the hardware will be discovered. Maybe some other Chinese companies shall try to copy their devices. This idea can block Onyx.

But if Netronix achieve their devices, the things could evolve. In the past, when Netronix release the first version of the EB6000, the software wasn't enough good, so an other company make a new version for Netronix. Now, I suppose that the software will be a good software with a good hardware, better than Onyx ? A such situation can push Onyx to give some informations to not loose the hardware investment if they loose the competition on the software.

I'll be happy to work to improve my M92.

Just a interrogation, I don't want to create a polemic. I have on my bureau/desk a Raspberry PI III, the Raspberry Zero exist and there is many other low cost embedded open hardware platforms. The problem is the screen. A thin and light device is a pleasure, but if the device is open I'm ready to make some concessions. Do you think that there is no way to create something with the current hardware available ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #236
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I have M 92 and I use it, but I don't have the skills to be involved in developing software for it.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #237
docidocus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
... even I doubt to have the skill level to port the code.
@franzli, Randy11, and slex: That's no problem at all. The point is, that you are still interested in something like this, and I am really glad to hear (read) that!

Quote:
I doubt that Onyx evolve favourably. Open firmware ? this implies that a part of the hardware will be discovered. Maybe some other Chinese companies shall try to copy their devices. This idea can block Onyx.
Well, they use software under the GPL. Strictly speaking, this means they just have to open their code. But you are right, these concerns may weigh more for them in China than some "license of freedom"...

Quote:
But if Netronix achieve their devices, the things could evolve. In the past, when Netronix release the first version of the EB6000, the software wasn't enough good, so an other company make a new version for Netronix. Now, I suppose that the software will be a good software with a good hardware, better than Onyx ? A such situation can push Onyx to give some informations to not loose the hardware investment if they loose the competition on the software.
Again you're right. I didn't know of Netronix before, but their devices look interesting. First of all, because they also use a Freescale IMX processor. I'm no Linux kernel expert, but maybe the Onyx firmware could be ported to them. Again, that would be a reason for Onyx not to release the code.

Quote:
Just a interrogation, I don't want to create a polemic. I have on my bureau/desk a Raspberry PI III, the Raspberry Zero exist and there is many other low cost embedded open hardware platforms. The problem is the screen. A thin and light device is a pleasure, but if the device is open I'm ready to make some concessions. Do you think that there is no way to create something with the current hardware available ?
There are people who managed to use the M92 as a remote monitor using VNC. I didn't try it so far, but here is the forum link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...43#post2205243 I am sure I read someone managed to do it also on GNU/Linux.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #238
lepau
Connoisseur
lepau doesn't litterlepau doesn't litter

Device: M92
I had not found time to deal with M92 development lately, but I would be very interested in that topic continuing...
lepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:04 AM   #239
docidocus
Enthusiast

As I see, there are at least a few people left who are interested in this!

I requested the source code from Onyx Intl. as well as from ereader-store.de but neither answered me yet. Let's see what can be done .
Old 08-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #240
painkiller
Enthusiast
painkiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Boox C67ML
If you are saying that they *have* to publish the code because it is under the GPL license, but they are avoiding it, we could report this to the EFF or FSF and see if they can do something about it, no?
painkiller is offline   Reply With Quote