Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Angry Book covers suddenly disappeared - argh!

I thought this problem was previously posted but a search resulted in no threads.

I have about 30 side-loaded .mobi books that have resided and displayed perfectly on the bookshelf since day one of receiving my Fire (15Nov). This afternoon, I navigated to the bookshelf and found that all but five of my books are now blank and white -- the cover art is suddenly gone. The carousel still displays the cover art of the books but not the bookshelf.

I have tried syncing, rebooting (three times) deleting and re-loading, and they still appear without cover art when originally they displayed normally. There are numerous threads about this problem, without solutions, on some Amazon forums.

Now when I side-load a new, previously not loaded book, it appears normally with cover art.

Any ideas why, all of a sudden, nearly all my loaded books have lost the cover art and I am unable to restore it? This is extremely annoying, to say the least.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As you say, this is annoying and mysterious. My experience has been that the covers come back eventually.

Have you tried clearing the Kindle Reader's data? This can be done at Settings -> Applications -> All apps -> Amazon Kindle. Clearing the Cache does not help, but perhaps clearing all Data will fix the problem.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I thought this problem was previously posted but a search resulted in no threads.

I have about 30 side-loaded .mobi books that have resided and displayed perfectly on the bookshelf since day one of receiving my Fire (15Nov). This afternoon, I navigated to the bookshelf and found that all but five of my books are now blank and white -- the cover art is suddenly gone. The carousel still displays the cover art of the books but not the bookshelf.

I have tried syncing, rebooting (three times) deleting and re-loading, and they still appear without cover art when originally they displayed normally. There are numerous threads about this problem, without solutions, on some Amazon forums.

Now when I side-load a new, previously not loaded book, it appears normally with cover art.

Any ideas why, all of a sudden, nearly all my loaded books have lost the cover art and I am unable to restore it? This is extremely annoying, to say the least.
A few have had this problem. They wound up doing a factory reset to fix it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As you say, this is annoying and mysterious. My experience has been that the covers come back eventually.

Have you tried clearing the Kindle Reader's data? This can be done at Settings -> Applications -> All apps -> Amazon Kindle. Clearing the Cache does not help, but perhaps clearing all Data will fix the problem.
Wallcraft,

I could kiss you. Clearing the data solved the problem and resulted in a complete refresh of the bookshelf. I had tried clearing the cache but, as you pointed out, it did not help. I also saved a copy of my Documents folder beforehand so I have all my original .mpb files.

There must have been a file corruption somewhere but I'm just happy to have my covers back!

Thank you again and Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
A few have had this problem. They wound up doing a factory reset to fix it.

Hi Blossom,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was contemplating a factory resort as a very last resort. But as I'm not yet rooted I could not backup my high scores on favorite games. No need to reset -- see my post above to wallcraft. Clearing the app data does the trick!

Last edited by Skydog; 01-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Hi Blossom,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was contemplating a factory resort as a very last resort. But as I'm not yet rooted I could not backup my high scores on favorite games. No need to reset -- see my post above to wallcraft. Clearing the app data does the trick!
Awesome! I'm so happy we now have a less drastic solution.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
ratkity
Enthusiast
ratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five wordsratkity can name that ebook in five words

Device: Old Sony, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Quote:

Glad you posted this and got a solution! Something similar happened to me and for the life me couldn't figure out what I did to get the covers from my 750+ books back (not all were gone, but still!). I do remember staying up for hours and hours doing stuff.

Hugs,
Ratkity
ratkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratkity View Post
Glad you posted this and got a solution! Something similar happened to me and for the life me couldn't figure out what I did to get the covers from my 750+ books back (not all were gone, but still!). I do remember staying up for hours and hours doing stuff.

Hugs,
Ratkity
You're not the only one who was up for hours...