Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #46
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
I think this ereader will appeal to the Sony ereader owners. I mean seriously- why would a Kindle/Nook owner care about a wifi ereader that can access google books? with a physical keyboard to boot ............
As a K2 owner, I'll disagree. That screen is really tempting. Of course, I'll have to actually see it in action before I make any decisions. Of course, crippling firmware bugs would be a deal breaker.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #47
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
Has anyone seen an official label for this screen technology? Should it still be called Pearl? E Ink Pearl XGA? E Ink LG?

I think LG officially calls it the 6" HD EPD display.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #48
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...it's white! What a ghastly looking ereader!
It might make it less susceptible to heat from the sun. My blakc Sony slows down with page turns if I'm outside on a hot day.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #49
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
huh? I don't think most cellphones have handwriting recognition. But yeah, even something akin to swype is better than keyboards, physical or virtual...
kennyc's point (I think at least) was that you can easily type on a cell phone. Why wouldn't you be able to on an eReader. I can easily use the on screen keyboard on my Sony using both thumbs.

I'd prefer a keyboard than handwriting recognition because a) it isn't accurate b) it isn't a fast way for text input and c) because it could damage your screen, especially if using a stylus.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #50
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Who does? Guess they're targeting folks who don't know any better.
I like the idea of google books. My two biggest problems are:

1. I have a library of Kindle books.

2. I can't upload by own ebooks to my Google Books account.

Of course, if item 2 is solved then item 1 would be moot. (I could liberate my Kindle books, convert to ePub and upload to google books).

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-12-2011 at 01:37 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #51
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
With the release of Nook and Kobo's touch models, this eReader seems to be a step backwards. For me, a sharper screen doesn't make up for having to do everything with buttons. After using my Kobo Touch for a while, I can't go back to that.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
How do you turn the page on this thing... I can't seem to see the page turn buttons?

BTW: I don't understand all the hate for a keyboard. I barely use the one on the Kindle and it doesn't get in my way at all. But, when I need to type in stuff I am very glad it is there.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #53
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

I can't upload by own ebooks to my Google Books account.

BOb
Exactly. I'm sure there are people that don't know they can't. Just like folks buy NOOKs and want to read their Kindle books. Folks buy Kindles and want to read their Barnes and Noble books. Many people don't know the limitations prior to purchasing.

Quote:
"The e-reader market will be growing faster than ever for the next three to four years," Kwon said. "We're appealing to people who haven't tried an e-reader before, or who want something different."

Last edited by SCION; 07-12-2011 at 01:44 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #54
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
I think this ereader will appeal to the Sony ereader owners. I mean seriously- why would a Kindle/Nook owner care about a wifi ereader that can access google books? with a physical keyboard to boot ............
Why would any ereader with a keyboard appeal to a Sony user? I seriously can't imagine who this thing is supposed to appeal to.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #55
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Why would any ereader with a keyboard appeal to a Sony user? I seriously can't imagine who this thing is supposed to appeal to.
You're missing it. The Story HD display is 768x1024; that's 786,432 pixels, substantially greater than the 480,000 pixels of the best 6" E Ink Pearl ereaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
With the release of Nook and Kobo's touch models, this eReader seems to be a step backwards. For me, a sharper screen doesn't make up for having to do everything with buttons. After using my Kobo Touch for a while, I can't go back to that.
I disagree. I think display quality is much more important than a touch screen for an ereader. Reading is a visual task, occasionally interrupted by the need to take action to turn a page, and even less occasionally interrupted by other actions (look up a word, search, etc) where buttons vs touch screen matter. (I'd take touch if I could get it with the super high resolution, but if a choice is forced between the added resolution and touch, I want the better display.)

If nothing else, I applaud the decision to go for higher resolution rather than touch as it gives a new option in the market place. Sony Touch, Kobo Touch. and Nook Touch already fill the in the 6" E Ink Pearl touch-screen ereader space well.

Last edited by hughes; 07-12-2011 at 02:06 PM.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #56
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
2Gb Memory but 1.4Gb of that is System ! ... Thankfully it has an SD Slot for external memory. It kind of looks ok, not keen on the colors, Will it be US only or will we in the UK / Europe get it too ?

Either way, I think I'll wait and see how good the screen is and what can be sideloaded, before considering buying one,
Europe already has it. They got it a month before the US.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #57
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How do you turn the page on this thing... I can't seem to see the page turn buttons?
BOb
My theory for the page turning is that it's the middle navigation button that is used for page turning since I don't see any other buttons for it.

thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #58
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
After your post I went ahead and checked and what do you know I can already order it from Norway and it's in stock . I have seen no commercial or advertising for this device whatsoever. Not even a news article on the local tech-pages here in Norway so it certainly has been released very quiet without much fuss.

Here's the link to one of Scandinavia's largest on-line computer stores (Dustin) selling it:
http://www.dustinhome.no/pd_5010597124.aspx (this seems to be the model without the WiFi support)

Last edited by thinkpad; 07-12-2011 at 02:59 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #59
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Yeah, MobileReader perma reviewed the iRiver Story HD a couple weeks ago. Check it out with the subsequent discussion. The Story HD is getting tons of attention today, but it seems the only news is the Google connection.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #60
@.@
@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.@.@ is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
My theory for the page turning is that it's the middle navigation button that is used for page turning since I don't see any other buttons for it.

You turn the pages by flipping the button up or down, much like the thingy on the guitar hero guitars.
@.@ is offline   Reply With Quote