Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
SEI Publications
SEI Publications began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
one format for major readers?

My organization is investigating making our technical reports/materials available for various ereaders.

I know that there are several devices and am wondering if there is one format that works well on each of these major devices. For the kindle, I've found that converting from PDF doesn't yield the best results. It seems best to convert from Word to HTML and then use Mobipocket Creator to convert the HTML to something for the kindle.

In order to make these reports available to people who use other devices (not the kindle), would I then have to do this for the other readers such as the nook, ipad? Or do these formats work on the other devices?
SEI Publications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
With the ePub format you cover pretty everything that's out there (except the Kindle).
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
With the ePub format you cover pretty everything that's out there (except the Kindle).
And ePub to Mobi (for Kindle) generally works very well in Calibre usually taking only seconds.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
konrad
konrad began at the beginning.

Device: none
ePub CSS versus "Regular" CSS

Hello Everyone,
I have a question (maybe a stupid one), but what actually is permissible as far as CSS and markup is concerned for ePubs? What are the major differences in what will work and what passes validation ? (I use Flightcrew to check validation). I have read the ePub specs ,but I`m afraid it is a little too technical for me. Is there a publication or website where this is all spelled out in detail (something you don`t have to be an expert to understand ...a do this , dont do that , sort of thing ).I have tried to adapt what little I know about web page type HTML and CSS to ePubs with limited success.If anyone responds to this , please be constructive and not insulting. I am ignorant about some of these things and want input from people who are more knowledgable about these things. Thanks.
konrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What pablo said.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
If you don't DRM the material, than it's open for any format. IMO PDF doesn't convert well to anything, but you can convert most everything else to Mobi for Kindle and Epub for Nook and Sony.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad View Post
Is there a publication or website where this is all spelled out in detail (something you don`t have to be an expert to understand ...a do this , dont do that , sort of thing ).

Hi Konrad, did anyone point you to Liz Castro?
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/
Her book "ePubs Straight to the point" is probably the standard everyone points to at present. She focuses a lot on ePubs for iBooks in the blogs but the book has everything you'll need.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote