Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
ebooks in PDF format

I'm not happy with ebooks in PDF format. Why do writers have ebooks in ePub and some in PDF format? Even with reflow ability, you get paragraphs that run together. You get lines with only one word. You get 1/4 page of print that makes it look like the end of a chapter but actually continues onto another page.

I have a friend that reads a lot of novels the old way..i.e. the printed type. If I showed him a PDF formated book he would never buy a eReader. PDF formated books will slow down the advancement of eReaders.

I refuse to buy another ebook in PDF format. I purchased a eSlick reader. If I can't get the ebook in ePub format, I'll purchase the book in eReader format. I sure hope that Astak get the rights to DRM eReader format, but I doubt it very much since Barnes and Noble have Foxit's eSlick devise to handle that format.

Last edited by alroy; 04-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Part of it may be what size screen the PDF is made for.

I took a text document and pasted the full text into Word. I changed the page size to 3"x4" (instead of letter or A4) so as to personalize it to my 5" PEz. I then reduced the font accordingly, went through, and made sure all of the Chapter headings were line up correctly. Once the whole document was the way I wanted (which didn't take long), I saved the document as a PDF.

It turned out very well, since it was formatted specifically for the device.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I don't like PDF's either. I wish it publishers, etc would stop using it and just use proper ebook formats like epub, fb2, and mobi. Hell I'd rather html!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Part of it may be what size screen the PDF is made for.
Yep, and as a publisher targetting unknown size devices - this is why it's not a good choice. Of course, reflowing might help, if it worked well, but doesn't seem to.

The other thing I don't like is being stuck with they font they chose. (or can someone tell me how to change it for a DRM'd PDF?)
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
alroy
Enthusiast

I understand that ePub format is also an adobe copyright. If this is the case why are ebooks being put out in PDF format when Adobe is getting fees for the use of ePub format, as they do for using PDF formats.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
I understand that ePub format is also an adobe copyright. If this is the case why are ebooks being put out in PDF format when Adobe is getting fees for the use of ePub format, as they do for using PDF formats.
While ADE supports ePUB the ePUB format is NOT Adobe at all. It is an industry standard idpf and was never own or operated by Adobe. Read the ePUB entry in the wiki for detail. Adobe has also released PDF into the standards committee and does not get fees for its use. However, if ADE is used and DRM is used then Adobe get a fee for the DRM server. Authors and Publishers use PDF because it is easy and readily supported on computers. It is the format often used for printing the books in the first place.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Authors and Publishers use PDF because it is easy and readily supported on computers. It is the format often used for printing the books in the first place.

Dale
I look forward to the day that changes.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
alroy
Enthusiast

That's why publishers put out the books in PDF format. They don't have to do anything to release the book for an eReader.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
I converted .pdf to .rtf and then .rtf to .fb2 which is my favorite format. It increased the size of the file though... And it seems that my reader does not like big books, it can not handle files more then 2 MB. I think i will break large files into 2 parts before converting them intp tht final reading file.
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
EPUB is actually IDPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
Dear alroy:

IDPF stands for International Digital Publishing Forum. For about five years this body has worked tirelessly to solve problems. THEY have called for EPUB to be the international standard. In five years they have made a huge degree of progress. They hold yearly meetings in New York every year to stress EPUB; but Kindle and Apple never attend. Thanks to them, we now HAVE a standard and most eBook Readers and Publishers respect it. Kindle, being Kindle, has been the problem. They own Mobipocket and that is not at all EPUB. Maybe Apple will attend the IDPF conference this year. We can only hope.

It is very hard to have a STANDARD when the largest seller of eBooks refuses to accept it or even participate in discussions.

Yes, PDF is a part of Adobe Digital Editions. Supposedly this is because PDF IS, in effect, a photograph. This allows photocopying of printed books to make eBooks. That is less expensive but not nearly optimal. You are very limited as to what you can do with a photographed document.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

Yes, PDF is a part of Adobe Digital Editions. Supposedly this is because PDF IS, in effect, a photograph. This allows photocopying of printed books to make eBooks. That is less expensive but not nearly optimal. You are very limited as to what you can do with a photographed document.

Sorry, but I don't think that's quite right Robert. Yes, you can make a pdf out of scanned images, but the more usual re-flowable pdf has it's origins in the postscript language as I understand it.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Although PDF was started by Adobe, it has been a open standard for a few years now, so technically, Adobe owns neither ePUB nor PDF now.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote