Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab 3 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Overdrive Advanced Search "Added to Site"

I regularly search "my libraries" to look for new additions of interest. I use the Advance Search and, using the 'Added to site' dropdown, select the 7 or 14 day book adds.
Occasionally different libraries change the options available in the Added to site drop down list, but the FLP (Free Library of Philadelphia) now only offers 3 months, 6 months or 1 year in the Added to site drop down list. That is inconvenient when I'm trying to check on weekly or bi-weekly new books.
I emailed the FLP about the change, and the gal who responded said that Overdrive had changed it and they had no control. I pointed out that many other libraries still have the shorter 7/14 day options, but got nowhere.

Can anyone shed any light on this???
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, it's easy and it's not related to overdrive but library purchases. It varies according to the last purchase date (in some cases I've seen only 14 days or 1 month), and FLP has not purchased books in the last months. So, you can't check what they don't have.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Didn't know about this option, I've been using the New Books curated collection. Awkward when audiobooks are mixed in.

I usually remember which books have been added the last time I checked, so comparing them isn't such a problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Yes, it's easy and it's not related to overdrive but library purchases. It varies according to the last purchase date (in some cases I've seen only 14 days or 1 month), and FLP has not purchased books in the last months. So, you can't check what they don't have.
Now I understand! That makes sense.
Thanks

Tom
Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Tom SKP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Didn't know about this option, I've been using the New Books curated collection. Awkward when audiobooks are mixed in.

I usually remember which books have been added the last time I checked, so comparing them isn't such a problem.
There are many useful options in the Advanced search, also including limiting search to just ebooks or what ever you need. I always search that way.

Tom
Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but last time I checked, which was... a while ago there was no Recently Added option.

Aside from that, I mainly search using jhowell's excellent calibre plugin.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eschwartz, calibre overdrive plugin is very useful... if you know whar you're looking for Browsing books is totally different
Old 05-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
Tom SKP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yeah, but last time I checked, which was... a while ago there was no Recently Added option.

Aside from that, I mainly search using jhowell's excellent calibre plugin.
I also use Calibre Overdrive plug and it is fantastic!!!
But it doesn't help finding new books which is why I regularly check my libraries for recently added..

Yom
Old 05-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, generally I know what I am looking for, except when I check for new books.

Which I may now be able to do more easily. For one, it always irritated me that the New Additions curated collection changes its search id, but if I can use a search string instead I can stop updating bookmarks every other week.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Lucky you, I like to explore
Old 05-03-2015, 08:41 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Let me rephrase that: When it comes to looking around on the library website, I already know what I am looking for... except when I am looking for new additions.

On the whole, I can think of much better ways to find new books (e.g. exploring) than simply trying random searches at the library.
There are services and groups that actually specialize in recommending books based on experience. And even Amazon recommendations are backed by more user data than OverDrive.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I know... And I am a perfect example than, in recommendations based on experience, sometimes they are more miss than hit
Old 05-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The NC Digital Library still has the 7 and 14 day search options (I just checked). They usually add some new books every week - sometimes just a few, sometimes a lot.

I usually check new books at least once a week - it's an easy way to discover books I might not have heard of otherwise.

Looking through new books has been much better since Overdrive added age/maturity level options to the Settings page so I can now see just the adult books and not children's books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

FYI: I just used Firebug to log the POST data while searching Advanced Search, and finally derived the following search to bookmark:

http://yourlibrary.com/BANGSearch.dl...ollDate=%3E*30

Change "yourlibrary.com" to the main website of a specific OverDrive library, and it should work.
Searches for everything in the last 30 days (that is the "30" at the end, you can probably change it to whatever), finds all titles even the checked-out ones, sorts by date added, and filters to only ebook formats and the English language.

I bookmarked it and since Firefox allows keywords, I type "${library}-new" to search for new books. (Modification of my previous method using curated collections.)