Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 02:38 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pretty much anything by James P. Hogan would fit the bill nicely. One of my favourite "hard SF" authors. A large number of his books are available at very reasonable cost and DRM-free from Baen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 AM   #17
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Pretty much anything by James P. Hogan would fit the bill nicely. One of my favourite "hard SF" authors. A large number of his books are available at very reasonable cost and DRM-free from Baen.
Hogan is a great recommendation. His "Inherit The Stars" is FREE from Baen. Great novel, and the one that first introduced me to Hogan's work.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hogan wrote so many good books that I'd struggle to make a specific recommendation, but among my favourites are:

Code of the Lifemaker
Endgame Enigma
The "Giant" series (5 books)
Realtime Interrupt
The Genesis Machine
The Proteus Operation
Thrice Upon a Time
Voyage from Yesteryear

All available from Baen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 AM   #19
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
How about the 'Rosinante' series by Alexis A. Gilliland:

The Revolution from Rosinante
Long Shot for Rosinante
The Pirates of Rosinante

All available as ebooks.
Unfortunately his (non sf) Wizenbeak books are still only pb.

snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suggest Hal Clement's Heavy Planet if you can find anywhere still selling it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I suggest Hal Clement's Heavy Planet if you can find anywhere still selling it.
Apparently the Sony ebook store still has it.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Second the Hal Clement (his short story collection _Small Changes_ / _Space Lash_ was a book which I read over-and-over as a youth).

Mike Brotherton's _Star Dragon_ is interesting (though it has some gratuitous sex) and there's a .pdf of it which I made a while back:

http://www.mikebrotherton.com/novels/stardragon.pdf

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #23
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Cool

A second for Watt's BLINDSIGHT and Gilliland's 'Rosinante' series.
Hogan's INHERIT THE STARS and THE TWO FACES OF TOMORROW

yet to be mentioned:
Michael McCollum's PROCYON'S PROMISE (the second in the series, but I didn't like the first one that much. His Antares series is great hard SF, but mostly about space combat)

Charles Sheffield's Between the Strokes of Night and The Web Between the Worlds
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I love Charlie Stross but I always warn new readers that his books feel like he engages a higher gear in my mental automobile. Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill! lol Some of his stuff is mindblowing, even considering I was raised on cyberpunk.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #25
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
I can't remember that definition very well, but I do remember that it fit Star Wars (and not Star Trek) to a T.

Oh well, you learn something new every day.
I agree, Star Wars has always been the preeminent example of Space Opera. I wasn't aware that that had changed.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Hogan is a great recommendation. His "Inherit The Stars" is FREE from Baen. Great novel, and the one that first introduced me to Hogan's work.
Thanks for the Hogan recommendation. I read Inherit the Stars years ago, but it's definitely worth a reread. Baen also has The Two Faces of Tomorrow and The Multiplex Man in their free library.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #27
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Here's an interesting article:

http://io9.com/5243415/whats-the-dif...nd-military-sf
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #28
Loss Stop
Enthusiast
Loss Stop is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo 1, prs 350
Eon by Greg Bear, can get it drm free from fictionwise. Good read. Lots of cool ideas. Haven't read anything else by him.

LINK: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b7...reg-Bear/?si=0
Loss Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #29
bauerhjb
Connoisseur
bauerhjb began at the beginning.

Device: laptop, netbook, LG & Nextus tablets - Window 10, 8.1, 7,
You might want to post your request for hard science recommendations reads on PBS, Goodread, and Amazon communities which all have very active Sci/Fi discussion groups and threads. Just a thought.
bauerhjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #30
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loss Stop View Post
Eon by Greg Bear, can get it drm free from fictionwise. Good read. Lots of cool ideas. Haven't read anything else by him.

LINK: http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b7...reg-Bear/?si=0
His book Blood Music is biological Sci-FI I guess. I don't know if it qualifies as Hard SF or not, but it presages a lot of what's been written about nano-tech.