Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What I read was in first person, PRESENT tense. I just can't read that for any length of time, drives me nuts.
Then you definitely shouldn't read it, cause it's the same all the way through.
I myself, find it a refreshing change from the monopoly that Third Person Omniscient seems to have on the genre.

There's no chapter breaks either.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #62
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'd thought I'd chime in, I got the whole first season of the TV show on my Tivo through netflix, and I'm watching it right now. Why did they cancel this?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #63
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Because the same brain surgeons that decided Jay Leno is a better draw than Conan O'Brien also thought that reruns and B-Movies are better draws than the SciFi (I'm sorry SyFy) original series...

BTW: It's also the same geniuses that changed the Sci-Fi to SyFy
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #64
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks for the mention of the Fictionwise discount today. Got five books for about $13 - can't beat that.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #65
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Because the same brain surgeons that decided Jay Leno is a better draw than Conan O'Brien also thought that reruns and B-Movies are better draws than the SciFi (I'm sorry SyFy) original series...

BTW: It's also the same geniuses that changed the Sci-Fi to SyFy
I won't lie, but sometimes I love those B movies. The show I think would have done a lot better on USA (which is actually where I first saw it, they were playing a marathon).

Syfy though...that was really really stupid.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #66
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'd thought I'd chime in, I got the whole first season of the TV show on my Tivo through netflix, and I'm watching it right now. Why did they cancel this?
I re-watched them all this weekend on Netflix myself. From what I've been reading on Jim Butcher's forums, the TV rights will be up for grabs in a couple of years. I hope someone will come along and give it the HBO "True Blood" treatment. One book per season with more depth than the SyFy version.

I also found the 2 hour pilot as a torrent which aired in Canada but not in the U.S. (Storm Front or Episode 8 which was cut down to 45 mins). The quality was really bad. It had a couple of original touches. Bob only lived in the skull and had orange flickering eye lights. Harry had a basement lab.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #67
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've not read the Dresden books, but based on "modern day, snappy snarky dialog" with a supernatural twist... I'd recommend Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim. There's a second book out now called Kill the Dead

From what I hear, they may be a little darker than Harry Dresden's world, but the first one is certainly Snarky and fun -- told in a fast-paced, hard-boiled, noir style. James Stark may not be the most "cuddly" hero, but he's certainly bad-ass and snarky.
Based on the chatter here I picked the Sandman Slim book up at the used bookstore. Very funny and totally irreverent, an r-rated version of the Dresden books…. I loved it and kind of wish I could go to Hell on vacation, probably not with my toddler, though.
C.I.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #68
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I re-watched them all this weekend on Netflix myself. From what I've been reading on Jim Butcher's forums, the TV rights will be up for grabs in a couple of years. I hope someone will come along and give it the HBO "True Blood" treatment. One book per season with more depth than the SyFy version.

I also found the 2 hour pilot as a torrent which aired in Canada but not in the U.S. (Storm Front or Episode 8 which was cut down to 45 mins). The quality was really bad. It had a couple of original touches. Bob only lived in the skull and had orange flickering eye lights. Harry had a basement lab.
I think it'll be tough to restart the show with one only a few years old, but I'll keep hoping. I have to say that I actually really liked Dresden rocking a drumstick and hockey stick as magical weapons.

I've really got to watch True Blood. But I didn't like the first book all that much so I haven't given it much thought. First on my list is Boardwalk Empire
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #69
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
I'll also chime in for The Hallows books by Kim Harrison, and the Nightside books by Simon R. Green.

Give Glen Cook's Garrett, P.I. books a look too. Although the protagonist himself is a little more normal then Dresden, I think you'll find the feel is similar.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #70
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I have to recommend Kate Griffin's "Matthew Swift" urban fantasy books, A Madness of Angels and The Midnight Mayor, in addition to most of the other series that have been mentioned here already.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #71
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you liked Dresden, you will like the Glenn Cook novels starting with Sweet Silver Blues.

Below is someone else's review of the series.

http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/b...garrettpi.html
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #72
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Y'all are killing me!! I'm reading all these and adding and adding to my page in OneNote for "authors/series/books to look for". At this rate, I will be bankrupt FOREVER, cause every extra penny I get goes to buy more books!!

Thank goodness for ebooks. Buying at the rate I have been over the past year and a half, there wouldn't be room for US in this house if it was physical books!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #73
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Indie author Richard Jackson's The Gift Of Fury was free at Amazon at the beginning of November and is still just 99 cents. It has a kind of Jim Butcher feel to it.

Synopsis:
Quote:
Enter the world of Count Albritton. It is a world where magic and the supernatural are very real. Creatures of legend, sorcerers and other powers walk among us. As a paranormal investigator, Count helps people with supernatural problems the authorities are either unwilling or unable to deal with. It's dangerous work. Luckily he has Kara, a beautiful guardian angel to help him.

Over the years, magic has grown weaker as mankind has made more and more technological advances. Many things that were possible in the past are no longer possible or easier to accomplish using technology. One man seeks to change all of that. He plans to bring back the golden age of magic. To do so, means sacrificing the technology that mankind depends upon and unleashing horrors best left forgotten.

Count isn't about to let that happen. Even with the help of his friends, it’s a fight he isn’t sure he can win.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 12-04-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added synopsis
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #74
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Y'all are killing me!! I'm reading all these and adding and adding to my page in OneNote for "authors/series/books to look for". At this rate, I will be bankrupt FOREVER, cause every extra penny I get goes to buy more books!!
Mwahahahaha! Resistance is futile.

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #75
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just started reading the Sandman Slim book. I'm only a few pages in and already love it! Just the snarky ticket I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion!

And thanks to all who continue to add suggestions to this thread. I will have much fun reading over the holidays.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote