Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I just blew through the whole Dresden Files series on audiobook in about 2 weeks (about to start "Side Jobs"). Loved them all!

I'm looking for a similar read (audio or ebook). Modern day, snappy snarky dialog and a fun ride. Any suggestions?
The Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison is good fun. I've read the first three.

A series not yet mentioned here is the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. Here is the description for the first book in the series...

Quote:
VAMPIRES. WEREWOLVES. TALK RADIO. Kitty Norville is a midnight-shift DJ for a Denver radio station—and a werewolf in the closet. Sick of lame song requests, she accidentally starts "The Midnight Hour," a late-night advice show for the supernaturally disadvantaged. After desperate vampires, werewolves, and witches across the country begin calling in to share their woes, her new show is a raging success. But it's Kitty who can use some help. With one sexy werewolf-hunter and a few homicidal undead on her tail, Kitty may have bitten off more than she can chew…
I've read some of it as well and enjoyed it. Have to get back to it if I have the books are get a hold of them if not.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-20-2010 at 09:44 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I recommend Tanya Huff's "Blood" quintet and "Smoke" trilogy. I think "Smoke" is more on the snappy/snarky side. I'm not sure if that's because of the evolution of Huff's writing style or if it's just because Tony Foster is a snarkier character than Victory Nelson.
Crew of a Vampire Detective TV show... I like it already. First 2 books in the Smoke series are not in the Kindle store. If I can find them in ePub, I'll dust off the 505. Thanks for the suggestion!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Crew of a Vampire Detective TV show... I like it already. First 2 books in the Smoke series are not in the Kindle store. If I can find them in ePub, I'll dust off the 505. Thanks for the suggestion!
The first 2 books in the Smoke series do not seem to be eBooks. Yet another series in eBook form ruined. Well done publishers.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Mike Carey's "The Devil You Know"
From Amazon: "Fix Castor's wisecracking cleverness in the face of weird nemeses makes him the perfect hardboiled hero for a new supernatural noir series."

SOLD!

Quote:
Simon R. Green's "Tales from the Nightside" series
Green popped up as a suggestion on the "What Should I Read Next" site. Will investigate further.

Quote:
John Meaney's "Black Blood" and its sequel would all probably give you a Dresden fix.

Although, I think Black Blood delves more into the new weird genre, it's close enough to an urban fantasy/mystery.... ... even if you're in a weird post apocalyptic bleak world that gets its electrical power from creamatoriums
This sounds like a Dr. Drib series (zombies and all) . This one had a great description of the world created for the series. I will check this one out.

Thanks for the leads!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A series not yet mentioned here is the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. Here is the description for the first book in the series...

I've read some of it as well and enjoyed it. Have to get back to it if I have the books are get a hold of them if not.
I have 2 of the Kitty books in my library but haven't read them. Forgot I had them. I just keep acquiring books and forgetting them. Maybe I should use an eBook management program to keep track of them. Hmmm, I wonder if such a program exists and if so, how much it costs. (yes, I have Calibre but don't use it to it's full capacity).

I'll hit these and the Slim book since I already own them.

Thanks for the suggestion/reminder.
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
The first 2 books in the Smoke series do not seem to be eBooks. Yet another series in eBook form ruined. Well done publishers.
Bummer. This one will move way down the list for now. Thanks for checking for me.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There is a thread on Dark Urban Fantasy that has lots of recommendations.

The Anita Blake stuff is detective style until Laurell K. Hamilton hits the smut wall, stop after Obsidian Butterfly unless your idea of fun is to see how many straight guys are willing to get into bed with a single girl at the same time.

I really liked the Skin Walker series by Faith Hunter – yes, a vamp soap opera but the vamps are interesting, dark, forsaken and it is well done. I like vamp soap operas provided they don’t sparkle or tell me that a woman’s role is to have babies.

I also liked the Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane – The main character has a serious drug problem and the world is very creepy. Like when a person dies the soul that’s left is a raging psychotic that attempts to kill everyone around. Good fun!

You could read mine… once if finally gets edited but who knows how long that will take.
C.I.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.I.Bond View Post
There is a thread on Dark Urban Fantasy that has lots of recommendations.
Thanks, I'll go look for it.

Quote:
The Anita Blake stuff is detective style until Laurell K. Hamilton hits the smut wall, stop after Obsidian Butterfly unless your idea of fun is to see how many straight guys are willing to get into bed with a single girl at the same time.
Yeah, I'm pretty much over Anita. Started out so great but all she does now is live underground and have group sex. She doesn't even have friends anymore. Blech.

Quote:
I really liked the Skin Walker series by Faith Hunter – yes, a vamp soap opera but the vamps are interesting, dark, forsaken and it is well done. I like vamp soap operas provided they don’t sparkle or tell me that a woman’s role is to have babies.
Sparkle?

Quote:
I also liked the Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane – The main character has a serious drug problem and the world is very creepy. Like when a person dies the soul that’s left is a raging psychotic that attempts to kill everyone around. Good fun!

You could read mine… once if finally gets edited but who knows how long that will take.
If it's snarky, let me know and I'll read it. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have 2 of the Kitty books in my library but haven't read them. Forgot I had them. I just keep acquiring books and forgetting them. Maybe I should use an eBook management program to keep track of them. Hmmm, I wonder if such a program exists and if so, how much it costs. (yes, I have Calibre but don't use it to it's full capacity).

I'll hit these and the Slim book since I already own them.

Thanks for the suggestion/reminder.
I suggest a Goodreads account http://www.goodreads.com

You can keep track of what you have read, what you are reading, and what you have to read quite easily.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I suggest a Goodreads account http://www.goodreads.com

You can keep track of what you have read, what you are reading, and what you have to read quite easily.
I was just joking. I have a LibraryTThing account but don't use it. Too much work to maintain (another reason I don't use Calibre to it's full extent). I'm not a big re-reader (though I will re-listen to audiobooks), so I need to keep better track of what I own and haven't read.

There were some posts recommending FictFact recently. I like it a lot as I don't have to manually add books, just the select the series. It also emails me when the next book is available.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I'd highly recommend giving the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire a go.

The books are about a half-blood Fae, and make a nice change from Vampires and Demons and the like...
I don't know how I skipped over this post. Sorry.

The first books I read involving Faerie were Laurell K Hamilton's Mary Gentry series (which I am also over just like Anita). I didn't realize there was a standard lore similar to vampires and werewolves. The Dresden files had some similar Faerie characters and now you're introducing me to more. It's interesting to see the various flavors of the lore.

I will check this series out. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #27
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If you liked Kim Harrison's books you might also like Kelley Armstrong's, at least she worked for me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
If you liked Kim Harrison's books you might also like Kelley Armstrong's, at least she worked for me.
Wikipedia shows she has 3 different series. Is there one you specifically recommend or one you think I should start with?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
I just blew through the whole Dresden Files series on audiobook in about 2 weeks (about to start "Side Jobs"). Loved them all!
I listened to the first two, and read the third one as an ebook (so far). I enjoyed them but I do have minor issues with James Marsters as a reader. Somebody needs to tell him now to pronounce "chitinous."
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
I listened to the first two, and read the third one as an ebook (so far). I enjoyed them but I do have minor issues with James Marsters as a reader. Somebody needs to tell him now to pronounce "chitinous."
He drove me NUTS on the first book. I could hear every swallow and he had major dry mouth. He has gotten better with each book. I did lean how to pronounce "sigil". I'd only seen it written and never pronounced.

I found most of the audiobooks were available through the library but I bought all but the last two since I know I'll listen to the series again in about 5 years or so.