Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
505 stability

It seems as though my 505 has become less stable. I'm getting quite a few crashes.

I've had my 505 for about 9 months, and it has crashed maybe three times prior to last week. Starting last week, since I started using the new library software, I've had maybe ten crashes.

I only use internal memory. I have 101 books on the reader. I'm mainly using LRF/LRX. The charge indicator has shown 2 to 4 bars.

It seems to happen most often when I open a book (for the "first" time). It will show the busy graphic, and then the reader resets. When I open up the same book again, it shows the busy graphic, and then the book opens successfully. After the crash, I loose my most recent bookmarks and book locations.

It doesn't seem to happen during normal reading.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Would doing a "full" reset help (deleting all books, bookmarks, ...)? Is there a way to do a full reset?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Hi John,

Did you load your LRF books with Calibre? Doing so sometimes causes the reset problem. You may want to try loading your LRF books with Sony's software.

Doug
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use Calibre to do some formatting, but always use the Sony library for transferring books. I did run Calibre accidently once while the reader was plugged in, but didn't use it to transfer any books.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
There's a Setttings/Advanced Settings/Format Internal Memory that might be worth trying after making sure you've got a copy of all content on the Reader on your PC.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I reformatted the internal memory and downloaded 62 books. The crash occured again.
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm - another option is some problem with a particular book, or possibly some issues with a particular type of book - they're not created from web-feeds or anything 'different' are they?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Hmm - another option is some problem with a particular book, or possibly some issues with a particular type of book - they're not created from web-feeds or anything 'different' are they?
I'm reading the same types of books I normally do. I'll either get a book from Fictionwise or Manybooks.net or Mobileread and run it through Calibre to get the formating I want.

I think the only difference is that the 505 is now doing the pagination. Maybe the problem was always there, but since the older Sony Library did the pagination, the problem was masked.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard

If you're running through Calibre, one option might be to try using ePub rather than LRF and seeing if that makes any difference - it's a bit of a long shot, though.