Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Skitzman69
Skitzman69 began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone
Missing GLIBCXX_3.4.11 on Ubuntu 9.04

I installed the pre-compiled binary and get the following,

Code:
/opt/sigil/sigil: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /opt/sigil/sigil)
I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and have the latest LIBSTDC++6 installed (version 4.3.3.-5ubuntu4 by synaptic). Doing

Code:
$ strings /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBCXX
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.5
GLIBCXX_3.4.6
GLIBCXX_3.4.7
GLIBCXX_3.4.8
GLIBCXX_3.4.9
GLIBCXX_3.4.10
GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW
GLIBCXX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH
So I missing the 3.4.11 library. The Wiki page says to upgrade my distro (ya right, not going to happen), upgrade my libstdc++6 (not sure how to do this) or compile from source.

I tried to compile from source but can't get cmake to work, it keeps telling me I am doing it from the wrong directory... the source is in ~/src/Sigil-0.2.5-Code and I'm running from ~/src/SigilCompile with the command,

Code:
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ~/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code
I found a post where someone used a libstdc++.so.6 that had 3.4.11 in it (and used LD_PRELOAD environment variable to load it) but I don't know where to get that file.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by Jellby; 09-06-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in title
Skitzman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitzman69 View Post
I tried to compile from source but can't get cmake to work, it keeps telling me I am doing it from the wrong directory... the source is in ~/src/Sigil-0.2.5-Code and I'm running from ~/src/SigilCompile with the command,

Code:
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ~/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code
Again read the error message that tells you you're doing it from the wrong directory. It tells you how to do it correctly (I know, because I wrote it).

Here it is again, just in case:

Quote:
You are trying to run CMake from the <top_folder>/src/Sigil directory, instead of just from the <top_folder> directory.

DO NOT DO THIS.

The correct way looks like this:
cmake -G '<generator_name>' /path/to/topmost/folder/in/source/package

You will probably now need to first clean your build directory.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Skitzman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Again read the error message that tells you you're doing it from the wrong directory. It tells you how to do it correctly (I know, because I wrote it).
Ok I deleted the source directory and tried again and (of course) it works For others here is the commands that I used

Code:
~src$ unzip Sigil-0.2.4-Code
~src$ cd Sigil-0.2.4-Code
~/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code$ cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ~/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code
~/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code$ make
But I get an error when building the main.cpp.o, any ideas?

Code:
[ 58%] Building CXX object src/Sigil/CMakeFiles/sigil.dir/main.cpp.o
/home/mwtheobald/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code/src/Sigil/main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
/home/mwtheobald/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code/src/Sigil/main.cpp:144: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
[ 58%] Building CXX object src/Sigil/CMakeFiles/sigil.dir/Tabs/TabManager.cpp.o
/home/mwtheobald/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code/src/Sigil/Tabs/TabManager.cpp: In member function ‘void TabManager::EmitTabChanged()’:
/home/mwtheobald/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code/src/Sigil/Tabs/TabManager.cpp:142: error: ‘class QWeakPointer<ContentTab>’ has no member named ‘data’
/home/mwtheobald/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code/src/Sigil/Tabs/TabManager.cpp:144: error: no matching function for call to ‘QWeakPointer<ContentTab>::QWeakPointer(ContentTab*&)’
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:359: note: candidates are: QWeakPointer<T>::QWeakPointer(const QSharedPointer<X>&) [with T = ContentTab]
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:351: note:                 QWeakPointer<T>::QWeakPointer(const QWeakPointer<T>&) [with T = ContentTab]
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qsharedpointer_impl.h:349: note:                 QWeakPointer<T>::QWeakPointer() [with T = ContentTab]
make[2]: *** [src/Sigil/CMakeFiles/sigil.dir/Tabs/TabManager.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/Sigil/CMakeFiles/sigil.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
I just tried grabbing the latest from the repo and got the same error... And yes I installed the core QT libraries as noted in the instructions.

Last edited by Skitzman69; 09-05-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Repo version didn't work either.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok I deleted the source directory and tried again and (of course) it works For others here is the commands that I used

Code:
~src$ unzip Sigil-0.2.4-Code
~src$ cd Sigil-0.2.4-Code
~/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code$ cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ~/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code
~/src/Sigil-0.2.4-Code$ make
But I get an error when building the main.cpp.o, any ideas?
You are still doing it wrong. This will probably fail on linking.

The BuildingFromSource instructions are quite detailed. Among other things, the say this for Linux:

Quote:
It is assumed you want to generate Makefiles. You can do this by creating a new folder outside of the source distribution.

Now navigate to that folder with a terminal. Then type in and run the following:

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release /path/to/extracted/folder
make
sudo make install
You are not doing that. You are building within the source tree, and that may fail.

Quote:
I just tried grabbing the latest from the repo and got the same error... And yes I installed the core QT libraries as noted in the instructions.
No, the instructions are more specific than that. Here's the relevant part:

Quote:
Qt 4.6.x is also required on all platforms.
Ubuntu 9.04 AFAIK has Qt 4.5 which would give you those errors.

Have you noticed that every single problem you had can be avoided by reading and following the instructions?
And don't build from the repo source, that needs Qt 4.7 which hasn't been released.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Skitzman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
You are still doing it wrong. This will probably fail on linking.

The BuildingFromSource instructions are quite detailed. Among other things, the say this for Linux:

You are not doing that. You are building within the source tree, and that may fail.

No, the instructions are more specific than that. Here's the relevant part:

Ubuntu 9.04 AFAIK has Qt 4.5 which would give you those errors.

Have you noticed that every single problem you had can be avoided by reading and following the instructions?
And don't build from the repo source, that needs Qt 4.7 which hasn't been released.
I apologize for being an idiot... I did try outside the tree but it didn't work for me, again I must have been doing something wrong. This is the hardest program I've had to compile on Linux in the years I've been using it, it's usually just a ./configure, make, sudo make install. Anyway, sorry for wasting your time but I give up, sigil on Ubuntu 9.04 just is not going to work without major effort (I have no clue if updating Qt would mess up something else). Guess I'll try a virtualbox and install windows just for sigil.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Valloric

Quote:
This is the hardest program I've had to compile on Linux in the years I've been using it, it's usually just a ./configure, make, sudo make install.
It's basically the same thing here, it's just the cmake call instead of the configure one.

Quote:
Anyway, sorry for wasting your time but I give up, sigil on Ubuntu 9.04 just is not going to work without major effort (I have no clue if updating Qt would mess up something else). Guess I'll try a virtualbox and install windows just for sigil.
For heaven's sake, don't do that. You can get pre-built Linux binaries (in the SDK) for Qt from Nokia here (choose LGPL). They come in an installer, install them wherever you want and then add the "bin" dir to the beginning of your PATH.

I do it like this:

Code:
export PATH=/home/valloric/qtsdk-2010.02/qt/bin:$PATH
Then run CMake the way we discussed. It will tell you which version of Qt it is using and where it is picking it from, so you'll know if you did something wrong.

Everything will be linked to your system's GLIBC++.

After it builds, prepend that Qt path to your PATH permanently so that you can run Sigil. This will not interfere with other Qt apps on your system, since Qt is binary backwards compatible.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-06-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Skitzman69

Again, thanks for the help. I got it to compile and run! Woo Hoo.

I now have a weird problem with my install, it will run fine from the local directory that I used to compile it (~/sigil/bin/sigil), but the system installed one (in /usr/local/bin) gives me a,

Code:
sigil: symbol lookup error: sigil: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach3Ev
Which I think is related to QT and/or paths... sigh... But not your issue.

I also couldn't figure out how to change the PATH for something run from the Applications menu, so I just created a shell script and ran that. Googleing seems to imply that others have had issue with figuring out which file to change for PATH variables on GUI run files (via terminal is straight forward). Again, not your issue.

Now on to epub editing!!