Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
TeknoKid
TeknoKid began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800SG
RC2 broke my DR800SG

Hey.. sorry this is kind of long but I wanted to demonstrate that I had sufficiently troubleshot the issue..

My DR800SG has been working fine for months. I have upgraded the firmware a couple of times and was running 2.0 RC2 for several days with no issues and several hours / day of use.

Last night after ejecting my DR800SG from my Windows 7 computer the device display continued to say "Connected".. turning the device off and on again did not resolve the problem even though it was no longer connected to the computer. I reset the device and it displays "No Memory Card Found". I was able to remove the memory card (8GB) and insert it in my computer and it worked fine. I made a backup of the card and copied it to a different 1GB card. Same issue. Next, I loaded the 1GB card with a backup I made when I first received the device. Same issue.

Ok.. so today.. I tried the original 2GB card with the original data.. Same "No Memory Card Found" message I had with the other 2 memory cards.. When I would reset the device it did take quite a while before the message would appear.. I started wondering if it wasn’t a software issue rather than a hardware issue so I copied the system folder from the 0603 firmware (2.0 RC1) onto the original 2GB card.. inserted it in the reader and reset.. it did the standard reset then went through the installing firmware cycle.. Aah Ha! So it can read the card after all.. when the cycle finished now I can use the device again.. I copied the 0603 firmware back on to my 8GB card (the one with all my books on it) and did the whole reset cycle again.. it all worked fine and now the reader is working again..

Last edited by TeknoKid; 06-17-2010 at 10:16 PM.
TeknoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Glad to hear you were able to restore function, TeknoKid.

I think if iRex isn't able to come through with the 2.0 final, with the issues fixed, I'll be reverting too. I have other options for PDFs, annotation, and such. For me the DR800SG has always been first and foremost the best ePub long-form fiction e-reader there is. I want my old quick page turns back.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
TeknoKid

Which version do you feel gave you the fastest page turns? I had been having the feeling that the battery life was reduced with these RC versions but I don't have that good a feel for page turn rates
Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoKid View Post
Which version do you feel gave you the fastest page turns? I had been having the feeling that the battery life was reduced with these RC versions but I don't have that good a feel for page turn rates
I went ahead and reverted to 1.01, the last stable version. There's no scribbles or PDF selection zooming and it can't "go to page", but it's trouble-free and fast for ePub reading. Just reading. That's all I want to use it for right now until and unless the final 2.0 appears.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoKid View Post
Ok.. so today.. I tried the original 2GB card with the original data.. Same "No Memory Card Found" message I had with the other 2 memory cards.. When I would reset the device it did take quite a while before the message would appear.. I started wondering if it wasn’t a software issue rather than a hardware issue so I copied the system folder from the 0603 firmware (2.0 RC1) onto the original 2GB card.. inserted it in the reader and reset.. it did the standard reset then went through the installing firmware cycle.. Aah Ha! So it can read the card after all.. when the cycle finished now I can use the device again.. I copied the 0603 firmware back on to my 8GB card (the one with all my books on it) and did the whole reset cycle again.. it all worked fine and now the reader is working again..
I replied to this on the iRex forum, but just wanted to echo it on here for those that don't follow both.

I had the exact same thing happen with the 0408 firmware. I wasn't smart enough to think of re-installing the firmware, I was assuming it was a hardware problem with the card slot. After contacting tech support, that's the first thing they suggested, IE reinstall the firmware, which solved the problem for me too.

I suspect what happened is that there was some condition/error while the PC was disconnecting from the DR800 that caused corruption of a file/setting/etc. I know that the DR800 has some code in it to prevent the PC and the DR800 from both accessing the filesystem on the card at the same time. Maybe it flags the card as unavailable while it's connected to the PC, and something happens that it doesn't set it as available again... etc. Just a guess.

I don't know if this is something new in the beta firmware, or if the problem has been there all along and it's just rare enough that not many people have run across it. iRex has said on here before that there is a difference between "Eject" and "Safely Remove" and that they recommend one of them and not the other. I can't remember exactly which is which, but it's in an older thread on here. Maybe using the wrong one has a small chance of getting the DR800 "stuck" in the mode where it doesn't think it's allowed to access the filesystem on the card anymore.

Just so you know, I'm still running the beta firmware (RC2 now) and have not had any more instances of this happening. I wouldn't let it stop you from running RC2. Now we know how to resolve it, if it happens again. But it seems pretty rare.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

iRex has said on here before that there is a difference between "Eject" and "Safely Remove" and that they recommend one of them and not the other. I can't remember exactly which is which, but it's in an older thread on here. Maybe using the wrong one has a small chance of getting the DR800 "stuck" in the mode where it doesn't think it's allowed to access the filesystem on the card anymore.
Yes you have to "Eject" rather than "Safely Remove", though when I did "Safely Remove" and it got stuck, rebooting unstuck it.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
jm35
jm35 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Quote:
... iRex has said on here before that there is a difference between "Eject" and "Safely Remove" and that they recommend one of them and not the other. I can't remember exactly which is which, but it's in an older thread on here. ...
Maybe you're referring to this post from Gertjan, which also says to use Eject... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=797193
jm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm35 View Post
Maybe you're referring to this post from Gertjan, which also says to use Eject... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=797193
Yep, that's the one.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoKid
Last night after ejecting my DR800SG from my Windows 7 computer
Quote:
I had the exact same thing happen with the 0408 firmware.
BTW, I also have Windows 7 (64-bit). Coincidence?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
TeknoKid

Quote:
BTW, I also have Windows 7 (64-bit). Coincidence?
Mine is Win 7 64-bit also.. so with our sample size of 2 we are running 100%.. it took months for this to happen though so it must be a very small chance.. I never did install the beta.. I started with RC1 and then went to RC2 when it was first released..
Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
TeknoKid

IREX still in business..

I just got a reply from IREX support.. I had opened a service ticket when I first encountered the issue and updated it with my next day resolution.. I was worried with all these bankruptcy stories that they had simply discontinued support.. It appears that they are still operating.