Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Read ePub on PPC

Hello:

I am trying to find some decent software for a windopws pcoket PC to read ePub files on.
I have tried Adobe LE on my PPC, but you can only transfer files from DE if you have an Adobe registration, which does not seem to work (I cannot find anywhere on DE how to send the books to my mobile device)

I have tried Zulu reader which is OK but has a couple of issue I am unhappy with.

Can anyone suggest any other software for the PPC?
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i don't know much (anything...) about pocket pcs, but i know that stanza now has a desktop application. if pocket pcs are using windows os, perhaps that could work ? you can try it here : http://www.lexcycle.com/stanza if not, just ignore this post. i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i don't know much (anything...) about pocket pcs, but i know that stanza now has a desktop application. if pocket pcs are using windows os, perhaps that could work ? you can try it here : http://www.lexcycle.com/stanza if not, just ignore this post. i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
Had a look - it only seems to run in Windows or iPhone...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh well, worth a try though. hopefully someone else knows of a good app for you. just for my own culture, what system does pocket pc use ?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Icarusbop
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh well, worth a try though. hopefully someone else knows of a good app for you. just for my own culture, what system does pocket pc use ?
PPC uses windows mobile - sometimes called a smartphone.

The software you suggested have indicated they may make a PPC version in the future, but not yet.
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

ha okay ! thanks for the info. the only other suggestion i'd have is zulu reader, but i see you've tried that. just so you know, the developpeur of zulu reader is a member of this board, so you might want to get in touch with him and see whether he's open to enhancement requests, and how complicated your feature requests would be. take a look at this thread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45859 (that's an old thread so it doesn't mention epub, but the developper's email is in it. for more you can do a search for "zulureader" (no space)).
Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

actually this thread is more pertinent : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46341 and it's also got his email.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wasn't there a guy here on Mobileread pushing a "zulu reader" or something like that, that would read ePub? The interface was (IMHO) glaringly bright and obnoxious (I hate black backgrounds, for one huge thing), so I never installed it. But I had looked at it for this functionality...

Last edited by FizzyWater; 08-12-2009 at 01:08 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Zulu Reader is here, but I haven't tried it either (not having a PocketPC).
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
If you can get past his 1990s era web site, ZuluReader is decent book reading software, and the only one I know of for epub files. It currently has problems reading calibre 6.x files, but the author said he's working on that.

I use ubook for html and other formats (http://gowerpoint.com/uBook_main.html). It's an extremely powerful reader, with annotations, skinning, etc, but it does not support epub properly yet, and the author's been a little quiet for several months.

Cheers, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
TheStorm
TheStorm began at the beginning.

Device: MSReader Mobile
There is also MS Reader Mobile, though it only appears to work with .lit files. I was planing on using that on my SmartPhone until I find a better app.
TheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Icarusbop
Groupie

I sent a message to the author of µBook, asking if development had stopped on the software, I got the following response from him....

Quote:
No, I've been busy (and lazy?) working on the 2010 release (major update, so major most user will hate it :-)
I guess I'll log into the forum soon,
Regards,
David
Looks like there should be a major new version coming out soon, hopefully it will include good support for ePub!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
mobipocket should work http://www.mobipocket.com
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
octavian
octavian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Yes, Mobipocket works well on my HTC WinMobile phone.
octavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
am65
am65 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mobipocket is now a neglected software and almost dead since it was bought by Amazon. I have several books in protected mobipocket format and feel completely deceived by them.

And it doesn't even open EPUB files.
am65 is offline   Reply With Quote