Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Argh! Please help! Books not showing up in the Kindle.

So I tried to make folders and some files weren't showing up. So I started changing them back with a booktype of 2 (book) with mobi2mobi and they STILL don't show... what could make files not show up on the Kindle? Thanks!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Not being in the "documents" folder? Anything under that seems to be seen (even if you put it in sub-folders) but it has to be in that folder to start with.

Or maybe it's "document" singular -- but I don't think so.

P.S. file types .PRC or .MOBI seem to work just fine. People say .HTML does too, though I haven't tried. Oh, and .TXT.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Maybe they have been indexed and the index is on some identifier that is not changed?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
So I tried to make folders and some files weren't showing up. So I started changing them back with a booktype of 2 (book) with mobi2mobi and they STILL don't show... what could make files not show up on the Kindle? Thanks!
You should also save the original file so you have it if there is a bug or misfeature in mobi2mobi...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

The files were physically not moved, and some showed and others didn't. The same files, without moving them, first appeared and then wouldn't appear, even when I changed the booktype back. So it has nothing to do with folders because their names were changed back. And still no files.
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe it's because the Kindle doesn't support folders and you are trying to make it do something it's not meant to do?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe it's because the Kindle doesn't support folders and you are trying to make it do something it's not meant to do?
No, the Kindle generally just ignores folders, and presents all the books as if they were at the top level. Now, if there are multiple files with the same book name --- that might confuse the Kindle.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the Kindle ignores folder, why try to use them?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the Kindle ignores folder, why try to use them?
The Kindle shows all ebook files in the Documents folder or any subfolders thereof. It presents all of these files in a single list. However if the ebook is or a certain type it displays the ebooks with that type with the same "Title" as a folder on the Kindle home screen. This is used for the newpapers and blogs if you subscribe. As others have figured out, if you just change the book type on ebooks you get the same behavior. This happens not matter what file system folder the ebook files are in. They can all be in the documents top level folder and will still display on the home page.

If this can be done, and you prefer it, why not do it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
GatorDeb
Evangelist

I changed the booktype to news so that they appear as folders.

Doing the SAME thing to all files, some showed up as folders (30 or so), some didn't (470+ or so). Of the ones that didn't, there were a variety of them - azw, prc, mobi, DRMd, unDRMd. They were all covered.

The files themselves were never physically moved. They were only manipulated with mobi2mobi.

The files that didn't appear as folders DIDN'T appear at all anymore, as folders or otherwise.

So I changed them back to a booktype of book. The ones that disappeared still refuse to appear. So now they have a booktype of book like they had before, but they do not show up on the Kindle. Nothing to do with folders.

I'm about 83 files down from 500+ left to replace, and I've spent a few hours on it. I should be done in 2 more days. Backup backup backup! Some of the files are now unreplaceable but I can at least read them on Mobipocket. The files themselves are fine, they just don't show in the Kindle.

And now I have almost 600 left to reindex. Sigh. Never again.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-25-2008 at 02:42 AM.