Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
How much do you spend per month?

How much do you spend per month on e-books, newspapers, magazines etc? my number is about $30 or more.. not including what I buy at the store..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 12-12-2012 at 08:43 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
$0.00, zero, zip, nothing, nada, zilch...

I'm a low budget monkey

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I try and not buy more than 1 book a month. I use this site to try and find freebies.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Too much...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
It's gone from $50 or more to nearly nothing the past few months due to spouse's layoff. I ask for the gift cards for Christmas though.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I've spent $143 in 2012 on books, and $12 on magazines. About half of that was children's books, so I'm averaging $6-7 a month for me.

The vast majority of my reading (and my daughter's reading), is library-based.

Since my sole magazine is on its last issue (Everyday Food, RIP), I won't even have that next year.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
$0. Can't remember the last book I bought. (I have library access, that's how I get most books. And I read a lot of classics.)
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I was given an iPod for Christmas last year, so I've been buying audio books from iTunes. I've also been buying them at BooksOnBoard when they have sales. Most of my ebooks I buy at Amazon (I don't have a Kindle, but I like the CS there).

I haven't kept track, though. Over an entire year, probably $30 or less per month. (Actually, I have no idea )
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Interesting responses so far.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I buy maybe one or two books a month. The $23 I spent on "Cold Days" and "Trapped" was the most I've spent in a while.

I've also found that my book buying has slowed down since the early days. At this point I have so many decent books to read I don't have a huge urge to buy anything. I'll still pick up my favorite authors or something that really strikes me, or as with the Humble Bundle, I may take advantage of a sale.

Last edited by carld; 12-12-2012 at 11:10 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I spend about £100 ($160-ish) a month on ebooks. The reason for that is that I have a very large paper book collection which I'm still in the process of replacing with ebooks. Hence I buy between about 4 and 6 ebooks a week.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
$0.00, zero, zip, nothing, nada, zilch...

I'm a low budget monkey

Spoiler:
Me too. Reading through public domain and free books from SmashWords and AmazonKindle give me more to read than I could finish in a lifetime.

For popular stuff, I get it from the library - OverDrive or dead tree - or from PaperBackSwap (dead tree).
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #13
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Some months, nothing. Most months, under $25. I've only gone over $25 a few times, mostly when I got a few bundles at Baen -- I'm looking at you, Fafhrd and Grey Mouser!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
Me too. Reading through public domain and free books from SmashWords and AmazonKindle give me more to read than I could finish in a lifetime.

For popular stuff, I get it from the library - OverDrive or dead tree - or from PaperBackSwap (dead tree).
Yep... public domain, public libraries, and free stuff for me too. Although, I don't do the dead tree stuff anymore; I'm now completely digital.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Far too much this year: currently my book spendings on ebooks in English for this year stand at $1437.25 (for 415 paid books), which makes ~$120 a month.

I really need to curb that next year and stick strictly to books I konw I want to read pretty much immediately (i.e. new books in series I already love and am caught up with) or excellent deals on books I genuinely think I will want to read.

I'm hopeful that it will be doable as my to-be-read list of books I already own is ... well, long. So that should enable me to think twice before grabbing anything that looks remotely interesting, unless it's actually on sale / special offer / daily deal sort of thing.

This year, I've also spent €67.50 on six ebooks in Estonian (all gifts for my mother), €165 or so on 20 paper books in English for myself and probably around €100 on a bunch of paper books in Estonian for my mother.

I'm not really interested in public domain books (I've already read the majority of those I've had interest in) and I cannot borrow books I'm interested in from either local friends or local libraries, so buying is the only legit option.

I have also accumulated a few hundred freebies but trad-pubbed books generally sound more interesting to me and I've been disappointed in quite a few free self-pubbed books I've picked up, so in the interest of saving my time for reading things I enjoy, I'd rather take my chances with trad-pubbed books, even if they cost a bit more.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote