Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
jwalck
jwalck began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Orizon
ePub DRM on Linux

I just got my first e-reader and I'm very happy with it (cybook orizon), but this lead me into the hell that publishers seem to have created for themselves and their customers. I've searched around these forums and the rest of the internet a bit but not found the answers to all my questions, and still remain without the book that I payed for.

To start with, no Wintendo, no OSuX. I know these are stated as requirements, but there's almost always some way around that. I could run over to a friend with Windows later but that's the current state of affairs. I got ADE running along just fine in wine, I bought the book from http://foyles.co.uk/ (came up when I searched for the book, seemed as good as any other retailer).

My problem now is that besides requiring ADE, foyles requires some flash app to connect to it. Something that fails when ADE is in wine. This means I can't even get the xml download file that I've heard I'm supposed to get, to run in ADE.

I haven't authorized my e-reader with my adobe id yet but I seem to be able to do that directly from it when I need to, just want to see ADE hold my book first. Any tips? Was I just unlucky in my pick of retailer that required flash alongside ADE?

On a related but more personal note, I'm a strong advocate against the use of DRM anywhere, and I'll do everything I can to get rid of it, if I'm lucky even disable the support in my e-reader. Now I wanted to try it, and could not find this book without DRM. In general, this is not an experience I'll pay for.

EDIT: fixed url

Last edited by jwalck; 11-11-2010 at 08:43 AM.
jwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Short answer: You're out of luck. DRM means that you can't use an open system to do anything - since an open system would let out the secret that the pubilsher and your eBook keep from you (in order to "secure" the eBook they are leasing to you).

Longer answer: There's probably a way to do this, but you won't find it discussed here since it would mean subverting DRM and discussing the tools and methods for doing so.

I am a Linux user (and have been for a long time). I won't use DRM contaminated products. I certainly won't pay money for a DRM contaminated eBook (since any eBook that is contaminated with DRM is a RENTAL, not a PURCHASE). I can rent books from the public library for free.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
The above poster is not completely correct. I use a NOOK and happily manage my books and connect to my linux box. I don't have a windows computer at all and have never connected my nook to one.

I am able to get DRM content onto my NOOK but I don't use the SONY DRM ePUB books. If I had to I would use a windows box in a VM but the sony product requires either Windows or a Mac.

Some DRM is nearly trivial to break and I have been guilty of breaking DRM more than once.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalck View Post
My problem now is that besides requiring ADE, foyles requires some flash app to connect to it. Something that fails when ADE is in wine. This means I can't even get the xml download file that I've heard I'm supposed to get, to run in ADE.

Was I just unlucky in my pick of retailer that required flash alongside ADE?
In the UK, I usually use WHSmith but Foyles is sometimes the only source for an ebook and I found their in-line ADE frustrating to use even from Windows XP. So far as I know they are the only ebook store to use it, so yes you did get unlucky. WHSmith has many more ebooks than Foyles by the way.

Did you try accessing your eBookshelf at Foyles from Linux (e.g. using FireFox)? With most stores this will download an .ascm file which you can import into ADE off-line. I don't know if this will work at Foyles though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
here are my probably naive questions:

1) have you tried installing flash under wine?

2) If that doesn't work, if by hook or crook (cf. wallcraft above) under Linux you can download the .acsm file, and put it where wine can find it (such as ~/.wine/drive_c or whatever it may be on your system) then, under wine/ADE, load it, it might work.

Once you get the actual epub downloaded, there are ways to remove the DRM. (hint: google something like, oh, I don't know, say "cabbages adept drm" and go from there)

And FWIW I agree with you about DRM. My boss ( a small-press print and ebook publisher) doesn't allow DRM whenever possible. Which is most of the time. Buy your books from such publishers, and --hey, presto-- no problems!

st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's uglier than sin and offends my delicate Linux sensibilities, but I've installed FireFox under Wine with it's corresponding Flash plugin. It allows me to download epubs for ADE (also running under wine).

I feel tainted, but it works.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
jwalck
jwalck began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Orizon
Thanks for all the answers all, these is a very nice forum community. :)

First of all, by going over to a friends computer I could download the epub with firefox/flash/ADE and move it to my device. Even though I authored my device through ADE too it got some error. But I got the file, so I took the easy step of removing the Digital Restrictions Management. I can now read the book I payed for (I was starting to expect the publisher wouldn't let me, which is still somewhat true)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Short answer: You're out of luck. DRM means that you can't use an open system to do anything - since an open system would let out the secret that the pubilsher and your eBook keep from you (in order to "secure" the eBook they are leasing to you).

Longer answer: There's probably a way to do this, but you won't find it discussed here since it would mean subverting DRM and discussing the tools and methods for doing so.

I am a Linux user (and have been for a long time). I won't use DRM contaminated products. I certainly won't pay money for a DRM contaminated eBook (since any eBook that is contaminated with DRM is a RENTAL, not a PURCHASE). I can rent books from the public library for free.
I would probably be in the same situation as you, but I wanted it digital and this was the only source I could find. Why no discussions about breaking DRM here? It's artificial limitations to make ereaders and ebooks fairly pointless as an alternative to paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
The above poster is not completely correct. I use a NOOK and happily manage my books and connect to my linux box. I don't have a windows computer at all and have never connected my nook to one.

I am able to get DRM content onto my NOOK but I don't use the SONY DRM ePUB books. If I had to I would use a windows box in a VM but the sony product requires either Windows or a Mac.

Some DRM is nearly trivial to break and I have been guilty of breaking DRM more than once.
Yeah I guess nook and kinde would be the notable exceptions by being more stand alone products with more control over the delivery. And indeed, the only real truth of DRM. As long as we can read it we can extract it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In the UK, I usually use WHSmith but Foyles is sometimes the only source for an ebook and I found their in-line ADE frustrating to use even from Windows XP. So far as I know they are the only ebook store to use it, so yes you did get unlucky. WHSmith has many more ebooks than Foyles by the way.

Did you try accessing your eBookshelf at Foyles from Linux (e.g. using FireFox)? With most stores this will download an .ascm file which you can import into ADE off-line. I don't know if this will work at Foyles though.
wallcraft: Being in the UK or not doesn't really matter for me, most shops seem to have no geographical limitations. Foyles ebookshelf needed flash to hook with ADE, this didnt work from linux. Bad luck this time then. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
here are my probably naive questions:

1) have you tried installing flash under wine?

2) If that doesn't work, if by hook or crook (cf. wallcraft above) under Linux you can download the .acsm file, and put it where wine can find it (such as ~/.wine/drive_c or whatever it may be on your system) then, under wine/ADE, load it, it might work.

Once you get the actual epub downloaded, there are ways to remove the DRM. (hint: google something like, oh, I don't know, say "cabbages adept drm" and go from there)

And FWIW I agree with you about DRM. My boss ( a small-press print and ebook publisher) doesn't allow DRM whenever possible. Which is most of the time. Buy your books from such publishers, and --hey, presto-- no problems!
st_albert: Tried it, didn't get it to launch the flash application through wine either with iexplore or firefox. If only this book had been available without DRM to begin with I could've been without this nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's uglier than sin and offends my delicate Linux sensibilities, but I've installed FireFox under Wine with it's corresponding Flash plugin. It allows me to download epubs for ADE (also running under wine).

I feel tainted, but it works. ;)
DiapDealer: Haha I know what you mean, I usually don't even have flash installed. Installing multiplie instances of flash as well as ADE... Tainted, to say the least. :) I don't think I'll do this ever again, but for others references, what did you use to get flash running under wine? I didn't succeed with winetricks.
jwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalck View Post
I would probably be in the same situation as you, but I wanted it digital and this was the only source I could find. Why no discussions about breaking DRM here? It's artificial limitations to make ereaders and ebooks fairly pointless as an alternative to paper.
You'll have to ask the powers here about that. I assume that they simply want to avoid the potential legal issues that such discussion might attract.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
For the Orizon you DONT need a PC*to download DRMed books, just activate your device using the internal internet connection, (maybe labeled as "Book Store") then use the webbrowser to go the the webstore you want to by book, then bought them, or only go the the link to download them, and it will work. It's that simple.

You don't need ADE nor a PC to download your books.

By the way activating your device through ADE on a computer, and OTA from the Orizon is not the same thing. Authorizing it by a computer will not allow him to download OTA (that's in the specs of the Adobe SDK)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't think I'll do this ever again, but for others references, what did you use to get flash running under wine? I didn't succeed with winetricks.
Winetricks didn't cut it for me either.
I started with Wine 1.3.6 on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid.
I installed FF 3.5.15 (3.6 just hangs on pages needing Flash) with the normal Windows download.
I then used the newly installed FF to download and install Flash 10.1.102.64.
From there, I was able to go to Adobe's website and install ADE 1.7.2 with the normal Flash installer.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, drm, linux, publisherhell