Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
"E-book access not so equal" from the Daily Illini

I found an interesting article today in the Daily Illini, the University of Illinois student newspaper. The topic of the article is how hearing and visually impaired students access textbooks and coursework. Naturally the most important ebook reader for these students is a laptop.

Hah. I bet you thought I was going to say Kindle. Nope. Disabled students have a well developed support system that existed well before the Kindle. Integrating the Kindle is just now beginning to happen (in a piecemeal fashion).

It's an interesting read.

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/camp...s-not-so-equal
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I found an interesting article today in the Daily Illini, the University of Illinois student newspaper. The topic of the article is how hearing and visually impaired students access textbooks and coursework. Naturally the most important ebook reader for these students is a laptop.

Hah. I bet you thought I was going to say Kindle. Nope. Disabled students have a well developed support system that existed well before the Kindle. Integrating the Kindle is just now beginning to happen (in a piecemeal fashion).

It's an interesting read.

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/camp...s-not-so-equal
Yep. But think about it... If you want a textbook ebook, you're probably going to want to take notes in it and there are plenty of add-ons and apps that make it possible to transcribe - and output in Braille, even - that you simply cannot get on the average e-ink reader.

Clearly, for those of us who're not so hearing-or-vision challenged, it doesn't really matter, but I'm glad to see that the deaf/blind communities are keeping the pressure on to take this into account.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert