Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
quintanion
quintanion began at the beginning.

Device: none
Decisions, decisions

Yep, it's another newbie asking for help. I'm looking at getting an ereader for Christmas this year, and could use some input on which one would be best for my situation. I live in the US and am looking for one that sells for $300 or less. I'll use it primarily for reading novels, with the occasional scientific journal article. PDF support is a must, and I'd really prefer one that supports epub and library books. Based on that, I'm currently leaning towards the Sony 300. However, I do have a few questions:

First of all, I know that the Sony 300 has less memory than some of the others. Is it easy to remove/switch books, or are you stuck with the first 350 that are loaded onto the reader? If I have it for several years and amass a large library (especially with those free classics!), is it possible to maintain a larger collection on a computer and swap out books on the device as needed?

I also read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy - is there a good selection on the Sony store or other supported bookstores? I suspect this is one area where the Kindle has an edge.

Can anyone with a newer Kindle 2 tell me about the native PDF support? Does it completely bypass the $0.10 fee and conversion to DRM format? How does it handle PDFs in general?

Lastly, I haven't done as much research on the Nook or any of the other ereaders out there - are there any others that you would suggest based on my specifications?

Thanks for the input!
quintanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
Ideally, for PDF's you would want a reader with an 8"+ screen; however, since you will be primarily reading novels this may not be as necessary. (Especially if the scientific journals are primarilly text with few images. Although depending how they have been formatted, your milage on a smaller device may vary.) I personally like the looks of the nook and would recommend checking one out in the store (once the stores have demo units in) before buying something else (this is what I am doing).

That being said, there are allot of books available in epub from a wide variety of sources, most using Adobe's DRM. (The exception being Barnes and Noble but thier DRM is getting added to the Adobe software so as long as device manufactures include the newer version of Adobe's software in a later firmware update the Barnes and Noble ebook store will be another resource for all readers using Adobe's software). Because of this, any reader that supports Adobe DRM'ed epub books (which Sony does) will have a substantial selection to choose from (you may have to look around for the book you want a little more than the Kindle with Amazon though).

Last edited by rwizard; 11-29-2009 at 03:57 PM.
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
it's very easy with any ebook reader to move the ebooks from your reader to your computer and back again.

the 6" astak ez reader and 5" ez reader pocket pro both support DRM'ed pdfs, so they should work with library books, but check your library to see what formats they offer. both ez readers also read epub, mobi, txt and other formats. both astak units are under $300 and they have a rep - RobertB - who is active on mobileread. there's also an astak forum here, so you can see what the advantages and problems are with their readers.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have the Sony 600 and have no problems so far reading pdf. I bought it because it has the ability to use extra memory cards. Having said that - you can easily remove / add new books / files to the readers.

Regarding the purchasing of books - you didn't say where you are . Geographical restrictions on purchasing eBooks might make it just a little bit more difficult for you to buy the books you want.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
so the sony reads drm'ed pdf's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
I have the Sony 600 and have no problems so far reading pdf. I bought it because it has the ability to use extra memory cards. Having said that - you can easily remove / add new books / files to the readers.

Regarding the purchasing of books - you didn't say where you are . Geographical restrictions on purchasing eBooks might make it just a little bit more difficult for you to buy the books you want.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
so the sony reads drm'ed pdf's?
Uh - got me there. I wouldn't have the foggiest tbh.

So far I have only downloaded a few free pdfs to test them as well as loaded my own pdf files (manuals) on the reader.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
If you're into Sci-fi/fantasy, you might like to know that Baen (www.baen.com) via Webscription (www.webscription.net) have a very good selection of free ebooks, as well as well-price pay-to-buy books.

I find the selection on offer at the mainstream online sellers to be very patchy, but it's still early days.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote