Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
GUIZMOW
Enthusiast
GUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just my personnal view but for me the legacy should remain to those that have reeeeaaaaalllyyyy open the market as the first Cybook from Cytale or the Librié from Sony.
héhé, those are really legacy item (like the one you take in a video game and then the music come tadadada tataiiinnn (or TaaaaaDaaa depending on wich game))!
PRS 500/505/700 are just old model, no disrespect to them, but there influence was more commercial than tech, as said before just my point of view.
Those who have enlighted the way for ereaders should stay legacy, the others are their son, or so....
Am i clear? (not even sure myself but that's my point, héhéhé)
tchuss

Guiz
GUIZMOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post

I think I like it. Actually I'd like to see all the reader models in one forum, with the exception of the 500 which is "legacy".

My only suggestion, FWIW, would be to move the Content, Troubleshooting, Accessories and Book Uploads under the new section, since I'm guessing the new forum is where most of the action will be.
I agree 100% 95%. Make just one Sony forum with prefixes for device and move Content, Troubleshooting, Accessories and Book Uploads under the single Sony section.

Thanks Alex and Mods for the great work you do!

Edit: dropped support to 95% because I don't see the need for a "legacy" forum for the 500
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I like the idea of the touch/non-touch approach. Any dev type work would likely need to stay in the touch/non-touch sections due to the probability of device specific issues.

Bottom line is that any approach can be made to work. I'm just thankful for the forum and all the work the mods do in making this a great forum to participate in.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
Labib Rahman
Enthusiast
Labib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PSP and an age old Dell Inspiron 1150
I agree with the idea of having one forum for Sony Devices. But we can't just let it go free for all from there. We should have sub-forums for similar devices. I guess it could look like this:

1. Non touch 5-inch devices - 300/500/505
2. Touch screen devices without wireless connectivity - 600/700
3. Reader Daily Edition - it's simply a different kind of reader

Overlapping issues simply get published in the main forum, and model specific issues in the sub-forums. Certain topics like accessories really don't cater to all models. A review for a PRS 505 cover makes no sense to a 600 or 700 owner, neither does device specific trouble shooting.

And also let's face it, how many of us click past the first page of a forum? Having all those devices together without sub-forums would mean that because there are so many threads opening because of all these readers, unanswered threads may, just may, get pushed out of the first page. There will simply be too many threads being created out there.

I also think it's a good idea to do this for all manufacturers, so we could have super-forum for all Kindles, another for all I-Rex devices and so on.
Labib Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
*Edit: Uhm, nevermind... Can't erase post anymore...

Last edited by ProDigit; 09-02-2009 at 02:36 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree that touch and non-touch would do well as seperate forums.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Call them "discontinued" instead of "legacy".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #23
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree that touch and non-touch would do well as seperate forums.
Ditto.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Since there is a great deal of overlap between all Sony models -- both current production and past production -- I would favor one forum with prefixes for specific posts that relate to one model alone. Remove the three (3) subforums and incorporate them into the main forum with prefixes while moving the development to a forum by itself. I find little difference between the touch/no touch devices other than the ability to swipe the finger to advance the page.

The e-books upload links should be expanded. Traditionally this linkage has been to LRF format books that are readable on all current and past devices. Other than the 500 (and the long out of production, Japan distribution only Libre), all Sony devices can read ePub so I think it would be good to include another e-book link to this download forum.

I do agree that it is wise to wait a while before blending in the 500/505 forum. As to the activity level, when I checked a few moments ago it was about 3:2 in favor of the 500/505 forum so there is still a lot of action at MobileRead for these "legacy" devices.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #25
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If prefixes were to be used, I'm just curious as to how those prefixes would work if a topic started off for a particular reader but then ends up covering another? For example, lets say a thread was titled PRS-600 Dictionary support, and a few posts down someone mentions they would love to see the dictionary on the 700. Then someone replies that you can add dictionary look up to the 700 by so and so hack and it starts becoming more of a 700/600 thread. Would the forum admins go back and change the prefix to reflect that? Sounds like a lot of micro management.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #26
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I agree 100% 95%. Make just one Sony forum with prefixes for device and move Content, Troubleshooting, Accessories and Book Uploads under the single Sony section.

Thanks Alex and Mods for the great work you do!

Edit: dropped support to 95% because I don't see the need for a "legacy" forum for the 500
I like that too!

However, now's the time for my Dec. 2008 suggestion to come into play; just update the Sony reader names to current...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
perhaps you have taken the lazy way out in your thinking and not considered all the possibilities.
BOb
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm highly analytical, and I prefer a well organized set of forums.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-03-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #28
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Nice job! I always thought that having one forum for all Sony devices should be more appropriated.

There are several posts in one (700) that could be useful for 50x owners and vice-versa.

Regards

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #29
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Seems like you basically took the lazy way out. Why not do it right and give each device its own subforum. Anything else is just darn confusing and makes us read through a large list of threads for which we have no interest. If I want to locate pertinent threads on my PRS-600, I don't want to read a huge list containing thread topics for several devices, especially since a lot of folks won't mention the device name in the tread title. I see lots of wasted time and frustration on my part.
Hear, hear!
dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #30
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
Who is lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Seems like you basically took the lazy way out. Why not do it right and give each device its own subforum. Anything else is just darn confusing and makes us read through a large list of threads for which we have no interest. If I want to locate pertinent threads on my PRS-600, I don't want to read a huge list containing thread topics for several devices, especially since a lot of folks won't mention the device name in the tread title. I see lots of wasted time and frustration on my part.
Granted comments were solicited, but calling the gent lazy is uncalled for. Just running a site like this takes a lot of time and effort.

I for one figure that it will work out no matter which way it is organized. Lets try it his way and smooth it out as we gain experience with the new organization.

Ralph
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote