Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with the Cybook?
Yes, serious problems. Had to return it. 11 19.64%
Yes, but minor problems. I've fixed them myself. 18 32.14%
No, no problems here. Everything fine from the beggining. 27 48.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Have you had any problems with the Cybook?

I'm making this poll to get an idea about customer satisfaction with the product. I want to know if all the problems in the troubleshooting section are just unfortunate few cases, or if there really are too many problems with the Cybook, making it a buggy product.

Edit: I'm talking about bugs and problems, not missing features and such.

Last edited by Over; 06-01-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'm making this poll to get an idea about customer satisfaction with the product. I want to know if all the problems in the troubleshooting section are just unfortunate few cases, or if there is really too many problems with the Cybook.

I answered 'Yes', but you have to understand, my original Cybook was one of the 'engineering samples'. I haven't had any problems with my retail model.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you should have voted only taking in account your retail Cybook (which is the one that is sold to costumers in general). Taking that in consideration, what would have been your vote?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
You are missing a lot of alternatives. Like having problem and not being able to fix it.

Yes, the software is buggy. On the other hand all software in consumer products are buggy nowadays.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then you should have voted only taking in account your retail Cybook (which is the one that is sold to costumers in general). Taking that in consideration, what would have been your vote?
Triple-yes. With special emphasis on NO. (I just love being a contrarian. You see, I bought my engineering sample and except for the firmware, it's almost identical to the original retail unit. (Okay, it had a *shiny* black case. )

If you're asking whether the Cybook is not durable, I'd have to answer it IS durable. The Cybook's hardware is quite good - presuming you're not the kind of person to fling it to the floor or sit on it. (That has happened to some units.) The firmware is also pretty darned good - as long as you're reading Mobipocket ebooks.

But then, PDF ebooks aren't really being sold for the 6" display. And support for other formats is taking a bit longer than I like, but as - for me - the majority of the titles that interest me are in mobi format, none of this is a problem. Your mileage may vary.

Derek
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You are missing a lot of alternatives. Like having problem and not being able to fix it.

Yes, the software is buggy. On the other hand all software in consumer products are buggy nowadays.

The first YES is for those cases (ok, I assume that if you can't do anything about it, you'll return it, but you've got the idea.)

I'll make the first post more clear: I'm talking about bugs and problems, not missing features and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Triple-yes. With special emphasis on NO. (I just love being a contrarian. You see, I bought my engineering sample and except for the firmware, it's almost identical to the original retail unit. (Okay, it had a *shiny* black case. )

If you're asking whether the Cybook is not durable, I'd have to answer it IS durable. The Cybook's hardware is quite good - presuming you're not the kind of person to fling it to the floor or sit on it. (That has happened to some units.) The firmware is also pretty darned good - as long as you're reading Mobipocket ebooks.

But then, PDF ebooks aren't really being sold for the 6" display. And support for other formats is taking a bit longer than I like, but as - for me - the majority of the titles that interest me are in mobi format, none of this is a problem. Your mileage may vary.

Derek
The reason I've made this poll is because I've been cheking out the troubleshooting section and Bookeen's blog, and got really scared, about "bricked" Cybooks, power drain, SD card reading problems, freezes and such. So I wanted to know how common is that, to know how probable is it to happen to me, when (if) I buy it.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
The first YES is for those cases (ok, I assume that if you can't do anything about it, you'll return it, but you've got the idea.)
Some words were impossible to lookup in a specific dictionary but this was not something you return it for and the bug seems to be fixed in newer firmware.

I have been bitten by some other bugs but no serious problems so I could not use the device or had to return it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
The reason I've made this poll is because I've been cheking out the troubleshooting section and Bookeen's blog, and got really scared, about "bricked" Cybooks, power drain, SD card reading problems, freezes and such. So I wanted to know how common is that, to know how probable is it to happen to me, when (if) I buy it.
Okay... To be honest, I don't read PDF. I don't read txt. I don't play music on it. I don't use it to store and view lots of photos. I don't use it as some form of note-taker (can't anyway). I don't do much in the way of bookmarking for later reference.

I READ novels. For enjoyment. I probably go through a novel a day. (And when you think about it, that's a lot of page-flips.) So, yes, I have no real expectation that my battery charge will last for weeks. At an average of 800 page-flips per day, I'm lucky if I get 10 days of use. More like seven. But I tend to use my Cybook from sun-up to sun-down - which is a lot more usage than most readers put on their Cybooks.

As for 'freezing' and 'bricking'... Well, as I have pointed out, I don't have the profile of a typical "bricking" user - no PDFs, no photos, no bookmarking...

If you insist upon doing all the things which bring on these problems - at this point in the firmware development - you've got to expect problems with a Cybook. If you read, Read, READ - as I do - then you'll be fine.

Derek
Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Over
Wizard

I see. Unfortunately I can't edit the poll. Still, I'll let people judge which option is the most representative to their case. In your place, I would choose the second YES. You didn't fix it, but it's not a serious problem (compared to freezes, etc). Of course, this is a little bit subjective, but this isn't a scientific study anyway

Edit: I was replying tompe's post.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Okay... To be honest, I don't read PDF. I don't read txt. I don't play music on it. I don't use it to store and view lots of photos. I don't use it as some form of note-taker (can't anyway). I don't do much in the way of bookmarking for later reference.

I READ novels. For enjoyment. I probably go through a novel a day. (And when you think about it, that's a lot of page-flips.) So, yes, I have no real expectation that my battery charge will last for weeks. At an average of 800 page-flips per day, I'm lucky if I get 10 days of use. More like seven. But I tend to use my Cybook from sun-up to sun-down - which is a lot more usage than most readers put on their Cybooks.

As for 'freezing' and 'bricking'... Well, as I have pointed out, I don't have the profile of a typical "bricking" user - no PDFs, no photos, no bookmarking...

If you insist upon doing all the things which bring on these problems - at this point in the firmware development - you've got to expect problems with a Cybook. If you read, Read, READ - as I do - then you'll be fine.

Derek
I won't even touch in the audio features of the Cybook. All I want is to read mobi and txt files (any other formats I don't mind to convert them to mobi). PDFs, I can convert them. Maybe use them to read manga (japanese comics) and that's it.
Yet, I guess that when reading a book, bookmarking is important (I don't want to stop at page 100 and when returning to the ebook... Have to flip 100 pages to continue reading).

Also, updating the firmware seems to be causing problems to some (lots?) people.

Anyway, I just wanna get a general idea about this from this comunity.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 AM   #11
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Yet, I guess that when reading a book, bookmarking is important (I don't want to stop at page 100 and when returning to the ebook... Have to flip 100 pages to continue reading).
This has rarely been a problem for me, it usually seems to happen after a marathon reading session, and then I end up where I was last able to bookmark or where I last exited the book. I have always known when I was going to go back to where I started in the reading session, the Cybook would just refuse to add the bookmark. I have not had this issue with the newest firmware.

Quote:
Also, updating the firmware seems to be causing problems to some (lots?) people.
I would say this was an issue for some people. I did the upgrade and had no issues. Some PDFs went to blank screens instead of crashing my Cybook, but then I don't usually read PDF files anyway. These were on just to see if Kids books with pictures would translate well to the Cybook.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
My card was erased, but I think it was related to improper removal of usb card reader from machine. other problem was bad names for mobipocket files. i had 75 titles which in Cybook appeared as "The Project Gutenb" . I later learned that you cannot change titles in Mobipocket Reader, only Mobipocket Creator.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
Overall, I am very happy with the cybook though!
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
This has rarely been a problem for me, it usually seems to happen after a marathon reading session, and then I end up where I was last able to bookmark or where I last exited the book. I have always known when I was going to go back to where I started in the reading session, the Cybook would just refuse to add the bookmark. I have not had this issue with the newest firmware.
Yes, I've read about that somewhere. After about 2 hours reading, the Cybook won't bookmark. You should bookmark before that time and restart the Cybook, to avoid that problem.

Weird.

By the way, I though that we didn't have to turn the Cybook on and off all the time, that it only consumes energy when we flip the pages. Sure, there's the CPU that must consume energy, but I guess there's some kind of sleep mode? Or a standby mode?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes, I've read about that somewhere. After about 2 hours reading, the Cybook won't bookmark. You should bookmark before that time and restart the Cybook, to avoid that problem.
That problem appears to have been fixed with the new firmware.

Quote:
By the way, I though that we didn't have to turn the Cybook on and off all the time, that it only consumes energy when we flip the pages. Sure, there's the CPU that must consume energy, but I guess there's some kind of sleep mode? Or a standby mode?
No, you switch it off after a reading session. You can leave it on, but the battery will drain in somewhere between 2 and 5 days (according to peoples' experience) if you do that. It has an "auto power-off" setting whereby it'll turn itself off after a specified period of inactivity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote