Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab 3 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Changing Font Size Changes Paragraph Format

I have a Sony PRS 350. I usually read Epub books downloaded from libraries.

When reading dialog, the proper paragraph format is to begin a new line with each change of person in the dialog. This displays correctly as long as the downloaded book is read (displayed) in the "S" (small) size.

But that is too small for my eyes, so I usually read with the size set to "M" or "L". But when I do this the paragraph dialog format is destroyed and mulitple dialog statements are listed in the same line. This make for difficult reading to track who is speaking and responding.

How can I avoid or correct this problem?

Thanks
Tom
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
I don't know how either and it drives me crazy but I can live with it ... I tend to have to read with a M too.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Are you certain they are EPUB not PDF?

It's probably fair to say that there are many badly created EPUBs around. I don't believe a well-formed EPUB would behave in this way. It's hard to say more without seeing one.

Have you tried opening the EPUB up and looking at the HTML code for some of this badly-behaving dialogue.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have been changing font sizes on epubs I purchased from SONY's store regularly and this has never happened to me - although at times it would do weird things at the 'next page' line - like adding extra empty lines. But it has generally to do with poor epub formatting.

But I have never seen anything like what you describe.

I would assume it has something to do with poor formatting of the epub.

A PDF would indeed behave that way.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Tom SKP
Connoisseur
Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom SKP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab 3 & Nook Simple Touch with Glow light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Are you certain they are EPUB not PDF?

It's probably fair to say that there are many badly created EPUBs around. I don't believe a well-formed EPUB would behave in this way. It's hard to say more without seeing one.

Have you tried opening the EPUB up and looking at the HTML code for some of this badly-behaving dialogue.
Hi Jackie,
This one I have now is definitely an Epub, and downloaded from Phila Free Library via Overdrive. And this is not the first time I have had this problem from library epubs.
Yeah, I thought that epub was supposed to take care of this problem, but you may be right that it is poorly formatted. I have also seen numerous example of two words run together and missing the separator space. Certainly no proof reading!

So how does a bad epub come into being? Can I fix it up via Calibre? Probably not due to the DRM...
Any ideas as to how to repair a poor DRM protected epub?

Tom
Tom SKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm afraid there's not much you can do unless the DRM is removed.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom SKP View Post
...Any ideas as to how to repair a poor DRM protected epub?

Tom
Remove the DRM.

Google for Apprentice Alf.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote