Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
intunachintu
Banned
intunachintu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Won't it fall ?

Won't it fall: A Case of a DIY Hardback Kindle Case ?
The popular hardback kindle case made from hardback book by making hollow, won't it fall when the kindle is turned upside down, rotated, hit from back of book ?
If you are still confused what is Hardback book Kindle Case see:
intunachintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I can remember doing that to books when I was a kid and hiding secret things in them. Why would anyone want to put a Kindle in one of those? Makes no sense.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I was going to say it must be glued down somehow - as well as all those pages. But you'd have to be able to remove it to charge it. Maybe they're using velcro?

How "popular" is it? It'd be too heavy for me.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I was going to say it must be glued down somehow - as well as all those pages. But you'd have to be able to remove it to charge it. Maybe they're using velcro?
Maybe you can leaf through some pages to get to the charging socket.

Quote:
How "popular" is it? It'd be too heavy for me.
Yeah, it looks way too cumbersome for my tastes. Then again, I just use my bare Kindle, and put it in a sleeve when not in use.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
fettpett
Enthusiast
fettpett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
my guess is something is holding it in behind it. Hell I find the leather case I got for mine to add too much weight sometimes let alone something this big and heavy
fettpett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sacrilege to destroy a decent book like that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
my guess is something is holding it in behind it. Hell I find the leather case I got for mine to add too much weight sometimes let alone something this big and heavy
If you glued the pages together and cut the hole just right it wouldn't need anything to hold it down. Still a daft idea though. It's like using a vinyl LP sleeve to keep your mp3 player in.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

maybe you could put some velcro behind the kindle (and on the book) so it won't fall. It'll stick.
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I can remember doing that to books when I was a kid and hiding secret things in them. Why would anyone want to put a Kindle in one of those? Makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
If you glued the pages together and cut the hole just right it wouldn't need anything to hold it down. Still a daft idea though. It's like using a vinyl LP sleeve to keep your mp3 player in.
Actually, I've seen statements from several people around the web that do so because where they live, books are not likely to be stolen or even noticed but gadgets are very tempting to thieves, especially on public transportation. Having a book as a cover allows them to read on their commute instead of keeping the Kindle hidden away.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Actually, I've seen statements from several people around the web that do so because where they live, books are not likely to be stolen or even noticed but gadgets are very tempting to thieves, especially on public transportation. Having a book as a cover allows them to read on their commute instead of keeping the Kindle hidden away.
That would make sense. My laptop goes in a Netto carrier bag on the rare occasions I need to take it out somewhere. But a disguise like that would only really work while you were holding it in front of your face and the more observant thief would notice that you were pressing a button instead of turning the pages while you read. I also think the average thief would be more interested in a mobile phone than a Kindle. People on trains are always fiddling with those.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by intunachintu View Post
Won't it fall: A Case of a DIY Hardback Kindle Case ?
I suggest that perhaps your confusion comes from your misunderstanding of English words "case" and "cover".

There is no need for a "case" to bind the device. You open a case and remove the device for use. The illustrated object would be a good case by this definition, though I would hope that the book sacrificed was either a blank notebook or some tome the world is better off without.

A cover, on the other hand, attaches to the device so that it can be left on while the device is in use.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
My Kindle DX cover is the Amazon black leather one that is supposed to look like a moleskine notebook cover (I have no idea why those things are so popular) and weighs as much as the Kindle, making the whole thing a little too heavy for extended reading sessions and carrying around all day. It has hooks near the hinge that hold the Kindle in but most of the holding seems to be done by magnets embedded in the back cover. Maybe the maker of the cover in the picture put magnets in the back cover, or as someone else suggested, velcro.

Those who are concerned about the destruction of a perfectly good dead-tree book should consider that it may be printed in a language that the cover maker does not savvy anyway, making it a little less of a waste.

I'm going to put some non-slip tape on the back of my Kindle and use it without the cover. I carry it around in a padded bag intended for a laptop computer anyway so the cover just adds weight and bulk. I have no concerns about someone snatching it out of my hands and running so I don't need to hide it. I have also found that it is a great conversation starter with strangers, unlike a Kindle hidden in a cover.

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 03-26-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Spoudason
Spoudason began at the beginning.

It is for the 'I love the smell and feeeeel of a real book' crowd.
Spoudason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
The title of the thread made me think of the Youtube series, "will it blend?"
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
The title of the thread made me think of the Youtube series, "will it blend?"
haha! yes it does.
A little run in a blender might not hurt that cover..it needs a few inches removed.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, cover, kindle