Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
wass
wass began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Sony PRS-T1
Setting Margin ?

Hi,

I'm newbie here. Found a lot of informations since browsing it for weeks so i decided to register in order to take part to the discussion. As a Booken orizon user, i just bought a shiny (too much !) Sony PRS-T1 to my girlfriend as she was a bit curious and enthusiast about reading on a device, especially seeing how it was comfy to read and easier to focus on a ebook.

I'm pretty happy with the sony, it's a really great and fast device but my bookeen have a margin on epubs that I miss on the sony reader. In fact, words are way too near of the borders on the sony device and i would like to adjust it like it is on my cybook.

Look on this screen, the sony display words almost full screen and not justified when the orizon looks more like a book... it's easier to read. It's especially disturbing on the sony as the black border is reaaaally shiny

Thanks for your comments !
wass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I sure see what you mean, having both orizon and T1.

Save for un-drming the epub, and editing the margin so they fits what you want...

I do not believe the T1 have setting for margins.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
wass

Thanks for the fast answer. Another problem is the "non-justified text". Don't know if it's because of playing with system fonts but i just remember this while looking at screenshots... just knew something was wrong with the text but couldn't seeing it, focusing on margins, and i was like "Tada ! Text is right align.. damn. Looks like the Orizon and its greyish screen isn't that bad after all..
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wass View Post
Another problem is the "non-justified text".
The PRST1 will honour whatever css is in each particular epub. If the css inside the epub specifies text-align:left you will get a ragged right edge, as in your pic. If it specifies text-align:justify it will be justified right&left. Playing with the fonts shouldn't have any effect on justification.

If your epub is non-DRM you can use Calibre or Sigil or edit manually to change the css to suit.

The margins can be changed similarly.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
jbuk
jbuk doesn't litterjbuk doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wass View Post
Thanks for the fast answer. Another problem is the "non-justified text". Don't know if it's because of playing with system fonts but i just remember this while looking at screenshots... just knew something was wrong with the text but couldn't seeing it, focusing on margins, and i was like "Tada ! Text is right align.. damn. Looks like the Orizon and its greyish screen isn't that bad after all..
Just to add to what Jackie_W said, for some reason the PRS-T1 software just doesn't give the option to override the epub formatting settings, but other software does. I'm hoping the android hack will provide access to an epub reader that can do this. Although I have to say I'm exactly the opposite on margins- I hate any wasted space.

Last edited by jbuk; 10-25-2011 at 04:31 PM.
jbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
wass

Thanks everyone. Thanks for the advice Jackie, i'm so use to the Orizon being able to force justified text on everything i give it to eat ! It works with "css hacked" epub. Thanks ! Jbuk, altough i don't think GF will be that excited about it but i'm really looking forward to pimp her device with some android stuff.. especially instapaper !

Thanks again !
Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
Vitel
Enthusiast
Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3 (broken), Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Fire, Kindle 4 Black
My Sony T1 just ignores the margin-top and margin-bottom settings in epub CSS files. I can set left/right margin, but the text always stays as close to the top edge of the page as possible, unless the "p" element has top/bottom margins, which I do not use. What can I do to set the top and bottom margins for a page?
----
SOLVED: You need to set margins for the @page element, not body element.

Last edited by Vitel; 11-08-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Update
Vitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I have found that setting the "crop" to Auto under the "customize view" option solves most margin issues.. you have to set it for each book as it doesn't "carry"
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
I have found that setting the "crop" to Auto under the "customize view" option solves most margin issues.. you have to set it for each book as it doesn't "carry"
Thanks for the suggestion, now I can have better visible area for my books!

I check the books.db with a sqlite manager (it's a firefox extension, you can use any sqlite editor), under the table "current_position" there is a field "crop_mode", I bet that's related to this, though I'm not sure if changing this only will be enough.
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote