Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
So there's actually publisher producing ebooks in ePub? I didn't know that. So ePubl is not only for free ebooks.
Of course publishers are producing ePubs. That's what B&N, Sony, Kobo, etc... sells. Only one (major) retailer is selling MOBI ... a hell of a lot of them ... but still.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
So there's actually publisher producing ebooks in ePub? I didn't know that. So ePubl is not only for free ebooks.
Hugh Howey is the publisher. It was converted using Calibre. But I've since cleaned that up and am currently reading it. It was not hard or a long process to clean things up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
A shame that the epubs have bad formatting. You could contact Hugh and I am sure he would do something about it. I have the Mobi versions and they have no issues at all.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
A shame that the epubs have bad formatting. You could contact Hugh and I am sure he would do something about it. I have the Mobi versions and they have no issues at all.
After I finish reading this and correct any errors either he or I have made, I'll contact him about my copy and see if he wants it. I would not mind if he replaced the existing ePub with it.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hugh posted on his blog that Kobo is now selling a DRM-free ePub version of Wool.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I had a look at the sample from Amazon and it's just as poorly formatted as the ePub. There are no indents and line spaces between the paragraphs. Not well formatted at all. Very poor. I bet you'd complain if you ever bought a pBook formatted that way. I know I'd be returning it. But because I was able to easily fix it to remove the paragraph spaces and put in indents. It now looks good. But it didn't look good originally. Neither the ePub and the Kindle versions are well formatted.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had a look at the sample from Amazon and it's just as poorly formatted as the ePub. There are no indents and line spaces between the paragraphs. Not well formatted at all. Very poor. I bet you'd complain if you ever bought a pBook formatted that way. I know I'd be returning it. But because I was able to easily fix it to remove the paragraph spaces and put in indents. It now looks good. But it didn't look good originally. Neither the ePub and the Kindle versions are well formatted.
In your humble opinion...

I have *no* problems with no indent and line spaces between paragraphs.

Don't assume because you don't like the formatting that the rest of the world agrees with you.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I agree fully. I, my wife, daughter and son-in-law have all read the Mobi versions and have no complaints at all.
Maybe it is your reader Jon.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I agree fully. I, my wife, daughter and son-in-law have all read the Mobi versions and have no complaints at all.
Maybe it is your reader Jon.
It's not my reader. It's the way its formatted (poorly). It looks like it's an eReader file. Most eReader files have no indents and a space between paragraphs. This was done for the small screens of a cell phone back then. But now with a 5/6" screen, that sort of formatted, just not longer is viable.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jon.. Could you point me at the standard that says you have to have indents and no spaces between paragraphs, because I've really searched and I can't find anything like that.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Jon.. Could you point me at the standard that says you have to have indents and no spaces between paragraphs, because I've really searched and I can't find anything like that.
You don't. There not standard that even says you cannot even make it say one paragraph per page. But making an eBook look good should be top priority after the story is done.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Indentation vs block paragraphs is a stylistic choice based on publishing form. With ebooks, one is just as valid as the other, IMO.

Indents are nothing more than a leftover from the days when pilcrows were used to mark a new paragraph.

Might as well complain about not having two spaces after a period.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
jgaiser
Omnivorous

And once again - In your humble opinion.

In my opinion, the Wools books have good formatting. I can tell where each and every paragraph begins and ends. Whether you like indents and spaces between paragraphs or not is a matter of *opinion*.

Saying the books have bad formatting is just not true and is really unfair to the author.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And once again - In your humble opinion.

In my opinion, the Wools books have good formatting. I can tell where each and every paragraph begins and ends. Whether you like indents and spaces between paragraphs or not is a matter of *opinion*.

Saying the books have bad formatting is just not true and is really unfair to the author.
But one thing you cannot disagree with is that the formatting is not optimizing the about of words on the screen.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I have seen much worse. And given how easy it was to modify, it's not really that bad (under the hood).
Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There are, at times, formatting things that bug me as a reader. But I'd never dream of calling formatting that doesn't jive with my personal preferences "wrong." If the formatting bugs me too much... I may reformat to my own personal tastes before reading, but then I move on. I don't presume the rest of the world needs to adopt my personal preferences. Having said all that: I don't recall being bugged enough by anything when reading the Wool Omnibus that I needed to change anything in order to successfully read the piss right out of it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote