Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
txoof
txoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Welcome back. I will have to see the instructions. But the measurements worked reasonably well? And connection is solid?
The measurements were perfect. I imported the images into Google SketchUp, traced out the shapes, and then used the scale you included to adjust the image size. I ended up shaving a little bit too much off of my top clip while I was shaping it; if I shake the cover the kindle moves out just enough to turn the light off. It's not a problem unless I REALLY shake the book.
txoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
txoof
txoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with otherstxoof plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by naypalm View Post
Cool! I was just thinking about doing something like this the other day.

To the Laboratory!
Post your designs! I'm not entirely happy with my light arrangement. If you come up with a better plan, I'd like to see it!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #18
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
What I would absolutely love to try is what Motorola did for their Moto F3 phone. The F3 uses an E-Ink display like the kindle but as you can see from the pic, it is also lighted from the sides of the screen.

I am thinking about a custom case with a piece of sturdy clear plastic to cover the screen and deflect light from the top or sides onto the screen. I've got spring break this week so I'll draw something up and maybe start building.
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #19
txoof

Check out these two sets of instructions; it looks like you could probably do something pretty easily with a little acrylic or polyester sheets and a few diodes.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Edge-Lit-Displays/

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/edgelit2
Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
ron0909
Enthusiast
ron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with others

Device: K-3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite
Txoof,

Congrats on your successful design! I've been endlessly contemplating something like this since I got my K3 but never had the fortitude to take on the project. I'm going to follow your lead! Last week I bought a Amazon leather cover from a guy locally that just sold his Kindle. The pins on this cover look to be identical to the ones in the photos of the lighted cover but painted black (They're metal btw and might actually be brass from what I can see from a scratch through the paint). I'm going to scale the photos here of the pins to what I have and if it checks out, I'm going to perform surgery on my cover.
I bought the cover for 20.00 in like-new condition and for a couple bucks and a bit of time, I think I can emulate the Amazon lighted cover or do better
In regard to side lighting via a sheet etc, I'd think twice about it. At one point I owned
a Sony with the built in side lighting and the added layer over the e-ink really messed up the contrast and added extra glare

Thanks again for your pathfinding! Any opinions on modding the Amazon cover are really welcome

All the best!
Ron
ron0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
I really like that my kindle fits in my pocket, so I'd be keen to see an internal light, hooked to the green power led (which has software controllable brightness - 16-32 levels... : )
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
txoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0909 View Post
Txoof,

Last week I bought a Amazon leather cover from a guy locally that just sold his Kindle. The pins on this cover look to be identical to the ones in the photos of the lighted cover but painted black (They're metal btw and might actually be brass from what I can see from a scratch through the paint). I'm going to scale the photos here of the pins to what I have and if it checks out, I'm going to perform surgery on my cover.
I bought the cover for 20.00 in like-new condition and for a couple bucks and a bit of time, I think I can emulate the Amazon lighted cover or do better
From what I've read, the clips in the older stock kindle non-lit cover are indeed brass, and are connected to each other. I think you'll just need to break that connection and attach some wires to it. You can probably just punch some holes and solder directly to the brass.
I made my clips out of stainless and without a torch, there was no way to heat up the stainless stock enough to actually solder anything to it. I just went with a mechanical connection as you can see in the instructable.
Keep me posted as to what you turn out. I'm curious to see how you actually add the light.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #23
ron0909
Enthusiast
ron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with othersron0909 plays well with others

Device: K-3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite
I finally got off my behind and made a start of my light. I've been thinking
that instead of a system such as Amazon's I'd follow your lead and use 3
LED's. I'm going to make a hinged telescoping arm from some fine brass tubing I have. So far what I have is the light body (made from a thin sheet of brass
and soldered together) and a 3 LED circuit I scrounged from a book light. The pics are kind of meaningless but show a bit of progress. The 25 cent piece will give you an idea of the size of it... The arms and wiring through the arms are going to be a pain!

ron0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #24
txoof

Wow! That looks fantastic! I'm going to have to learn how to solder brass! Your design looks great. I can't wait to see how you sling that all together with the kindle.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by txoof View Post
Ok, here it be! My DIY Lighted K3 Cover.
Check out the instructable over here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Kindle-3-DIY-Light/...humongous image removed...
Cool. Right AFTER I bumped your karma to 2600 (geekmaster noobie award for providing useful content), I noticed that you had a photo with 2600 magazine displayed. As you may know, 2600 was famous from being the frequency used by hackers to place free long-distance phone calls on analog telephone systems (using a "BlueBox"). Apple founders (Woz and Jobs) started out by building, testing (illegally), and selling BlueBox hacking tools, before they sold computers. Strange but true...

Thanks for the posting, and now you have "big boy" karma too.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Thread has been here for more than a year, author last posted here Aug. 2011.
Guess it is about time he got some recognition, its a good article.

It is now indexed {K3,Hardware} -> Reading Light.
Hmm... I guess it should also be in HowTo -> Reading Light.

( "HowTo" is a proposed new prefix - not yet approved or added to the prefix dropdown, but it has supporting section headings ready. )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thread has been here for more than a year, author last posted here Aug. 2011.
Guess it is about time he got some recognition, its a good article. ...
Back when I first saw it, I was only able to give tiny noob karma. Now that it was brought back to my attention, I have the power! I use it to encourage innovation in the kindle community.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, hack, kindle 3, light