Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
New updates don't overwrite?

I've been noticing that when a new Calibre update gets released and I install the new version, it doesn't overwrite with the old one like all other softwares do. Instead, when I install the new update, I get two Calibre icons; icon of previous version and that of the new one. I have to then delete the old one so that I don't get confused about which Calibre is the latest. Is it because I'm using a Mac? Or is it the same with everyone?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm using a Mac and I don't see that behavior. When a new release becomes available, I exit calibre before double-clicking the .DMG file. I drag the calibre icon to the Applications folder icon. I get a dialog asking if I want to replace the existing file, and I say yes, I want to replace the existing file.

Following those steps, I only have one copy (the most current) on my Mac.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I open Calibre, I see a message that says a new update is available, I click on update now, the web page opens and I download the new version. After the installation, I get two Calibre icons. I'll try the steps you suggested next time a new version becomes available.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
this happens to me on a PC as well. I've just figured it is the "cost of doing business". And I keep the old icon, as I've renamed it and have it where I want it on my desktop. And it still goes to the updated version.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Where are you folk getting your downloads? The standard ones have never done this on XP or W7 for a default install.

Windows: you MUST shutdown Calibre before updating

The Linux update will run, but I really believe in shutting down Calibre FIRST.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Where are you folk getting your downloads? The standard ones have never done this on XP or W7 for a default install.
When I choose to update it automatically directs me to the Calibre download page. I'm using a Macbook but I never shutdown Calibre before updating. I'll make sure to keep that in mind in the next update.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
When I choose to update it automatically directs me to the Calibre download page. I'm using a Macbook but I never shutdown Calibre before updating. I'll make sure to keep that in mind in the next update.
Glad to hear you were not getting one of the repackaged updates.

Having (program) files in use can block a normal update for many programs (some updaters kill the program long enough to do the update. this is tricky to have work on all the different platforms that calibre runs on so it does not try )
Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I've always just clicked on the update button to get my updates. So whereever Calibre sends me.
I'll see if making sure Calibre is completely shutdown [kill task in taskmanager] makes a difference.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I've always just clicked on the update button to get my updates. So whereever Calibre sends me.
I'll see if making sure Calibre is completely shutdown [kill task in taskmanager] makes a difference.
Ctrl-Q in the Calibre window is the usual way.
(checking does not hurt )
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Another thing to keep in mind about shutting down calibre. Some folks have set calibre to minimize to the System Tray in Windows. Not sure if their is an equivalent for Macs, but this might be part of the issue as well.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Since I am always working in Calibre I just save the updated download file rather than installing right away. I check out what is new and if I want to update, when I get to a good stopping point in Calibre, I will quit and install the update.

I am on Windows XP and always make sure Calibre is not in the System tray first.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote