Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Drowsy Emperor
Drowsy Emperor began at the beginning.

Device: MSI Netbook
Unhappy Cannot edit metadata

Hello everyone,

I have a huge problem with Calbre on Windows 7. I recently upgraded my MSi U160 netbook to Win 7 and since then I can't edit book metadata, like titles or tags, individually or in groups. This happens on books I could edit on Win XP. I get the following error message:

calibre, version 0.9.11
ERROR: Failed to set data: Could not set data, click Show Details to see why.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 909, in setData
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 983, in _set_data
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2224, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2558, in set_title
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2494, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 290, in __init__
error: (123, 'CreateFile', 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.')

Oddly enough I managed to edit a few but since then this error always shows up.
I reinstalled Calibre but that didn't change anything. I transferred my library from the standard Documents folder to my Google Drive folder but that didn't change anything.

I Googled extensively for this error but no one else seems to get it...
Drowsy Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates that calibre is unable to open the ebook files to check if they are in use. I've never seen it before so I dont know what could cause it, but most likely culprit is the path to the file in question is too long. Try moving your library to some place with a short path, like c:\library or c:\users\shortname\library
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Drowsy Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That error indicates that calibre is unable to open the ebook files to check if they are in use. I've never seen it before so I dont know what could cause it, but most likely culprit is the path to the file in question is too long. Try moving your library to some place with a short path, like c:\library or c:\users\shortname\library
Thank you for your help. You were right, moving the library to C:\ enabled metadata editing.

Strange that it would not work with the default folder...
Old 12-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I've seen a similar problem with other applications. Often, the root of the problem is that the user's files (the Calibre library in this case) are in a directory below the Program Files directory. Windows Vista and above by default disallow programs to write in Program Files. I suspect that is what was happening in this case, which explains why moving the library somewhere else solved it. It also explain why the problem didn't arise in XP.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Drowsy Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I've seen a similar problem with other applications. Often, the root of the problem is that the user's files (the Calibre library in this case) are in a directory below the Program Files directory. Windows Vista and above by default disallow programs to write in Program Files. I suspect that is what was happening in this case, which explains why moving the library somewhere else solved it. It also explain why the problem didn't arise in XP.

Mike
I thought it was something pertaining to the permission to modify files, just wasn't aware of the exact cause.

However, even the C:\Google Drive\Library format didn't work. Currently,
only C:\Library works. A minor disappointment since I wanted my library up on Google Drive as well, but I guess I have no choice.
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowsy Emperor View Post
However, even the C:\Google Drive\Library format didn't work. Currently, only C:\Library works. A minor disappointment since I wanted my library up on Google Drive as well, but I guess I have no choice.
Google Drive is not compatible with calibre. See this thread and several others for more details.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
You might try using Dropbox instead of Google Drive, as suggested in the thread that Chaley referenced. There is a clearly a problem with using Google Drive for any situation where you are sharing files under software control on different computers.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Drowsy Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Google Drive is not compatible with calibre. See this thread and several others for more details.
Ah I had that happen yesterday, but I didn't know Google Drive was to blame.

Good thing I have a Dropbox account. Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
BTW, Windows has a limit of about 250 characters for a file's path and filename. So that is why Kovid mentioned moving the Library's location. Keep that in mind when placing your Libraries.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote