Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
mpresley
mpresley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Validation Errors

I am getting the following errors when I validate and I cant figure out why. This image is in my content.opf file like all my other images and is used in the appropriate place the same way. So, what would be causing this error?

OEBPS/Text/Chapter 5.xhtml(243): hyperlink to non-standard resource 'OEBPS/Images/np1_p05_011_final_1019_fmt.jpeg' of type 'image/jpeg'

OEBPS/Text/Chapter 5.xhtml(243): hyperlink to resource outside spine 'OEBPS/Images/np1_p05_011_final_1019_fmt.jpeg'

Also, here is my spine from my content.opf file. If I change the reference to index to be index.xhtml I get a whole list of errors. However, if I leave it as just index it functions and validates...any ideas why that is? I built in Indesign then tweaked in Sigil if that helps at all. Index is a hand built index not an index made by indesign.

Code:
 <spine toc="ncx">
    <itemref idref="tableofcontents" />
    <itemref idref="acknowledgements" />
    <itemref idref="Chapter1.xhtml" />
    <itemref idref="Chapter2.xhtml" />
    <itemref idref="Chapter3.xhtml" />
    <itemref idref="Chapter4.xhtml" />
    <itemref idref="Chapter5.xhtml" />
    <itemref idref="Chapter6.xhtml" />
    <itemref idref="index" />
    <itemref idref="titlepage.xhtml" />
  </spine>
Thank you,

Matt
mpresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Maybe the tool does not recognize "jpeg", since it is usually spelled "jpg"?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
mpresley

I thought that as well...but all of my images are brought in as .jpeg and that is the only one giving me an error.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
amyg
Enthusiast
amyg is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad
Do you get the problem before Sigil? Just asking because Sigil reorganizes your files and maybe that messed things up somehow. A reason I don't like to use it. I just unzip and edit the code directly or with dreamweaver.
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Are the cases of the filenames correct? Also, it should not be a problem to change the index. However, if you use Sigil, you can easily recreate your opf by regenerating the TOC. It should be fine then.
Also, try the validation in Sigil. It usually gives better errors.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
mpresley

My workflow went like this.

Had an existing document created in Indesign. I then took that file and made all the images anchored objects so they would come in in place. I then created the tags and links for the index page. I then export from Indesign to Epub. At this point I open it in Sigil and begin to edit the css and the xhtml to further suit my needs by adding borders, bolds, etc. I then add some pictures that were in the indesign file but I had go back and change something about them so then I exported them for dreamweaver. At that point I then add that image into Sigil. However, I do not believe the file in question was one of those files. I have validated with Sigil the only things it found were files in my content.opf file that were no longer being used. So, I have since deleted those files and tried to validate again at epubconversion.com and I am getting the same errors. Sigil tells me "No problems found!" I cant use epub check online because my file is 10.5mb. Any ideas where I am going wrong here?

Also while I have everyone here I am also having a problem getting my images to scale. I have my images inside a div that is set at width:100%; I then have my images set at 100% however, the images get no larger then the actual file. This happens in calibre on mac and on Ipad using Ibooks. However, on Adobe Digital Editions on the Mac the images scale. Where am I going wrong on that one?

Thank You. If you need to see any code let me know what you need to see and I will send it your way.

Matt

ps. The cases on the filenames are correct. Will it be a problem to leave the reference to the index file the way it is? It works everywhere I have tested it.

Last edited by mpresley; 10-26-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
mpresley

Disregard the stuff about the index file. I get that now. It is pulling on the ID not on the actual file name. That was the source of my confusion because on the other files the File name was the same as the id. So, I can leave it as index and it is fine. If I want to change it to index.xhtml then I need to change the Id of the index file to match.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If the validation within Sigil reports no errors, I will believe that. Did you try the latest version of epubcheck?
The handling of images can differ. ADE uses its own rendering engine and iBooks and Calibre are using a HTML kit to render the books (a different one of course). Since an ePUB is based on XHTML and CSS, it might be a good idea to use a webkit. However, there are some distinctive differences in the ePUB specifications which will be ignored in a webkit. Unfortunatly also ADE has not implemented the complete specifications, but do follow it better.
A lot of companies are lazy (or cheap) and don't want to program a rendering kit specific for ePUB. Hence all the differences in rendering across readers.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote