Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
Kobo Glo Freezes Constantly

I just inherited my wife's Kobo Glo that she hadn't been using for a year, and after doing a factory reset and upgrading the firmware, I'm finding that it's freezing multiple times per day, requiring a pin to reboot it. It's happened fairly often, sometimes within minutes of a previous crash.

I only have 10 books on the device, through I did use a Calibre plugin to convert the books to kepub. Is it possible that's what's causing it to crash, or is it more likely that I just need a new device?
Wasgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Within Calibre, run each of those books through "Edit book" and see if there is anything wrong with them.

Another thing you can do is remove all but the one you are reading, and see if it keeps happening.

I'm sure the experts here will have more ideas.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Within Calibre, run each of those books through "Edit book" and see if there is anything wrong with them.
Is that a manual process or can Calibre check for me?
Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Edit book is integrated in recent editions of Calibre. (If you are running it on WinXP, you may not have it). Mine is on my tool bar, or you can right click a book and select it from the menu. Once the window opens, there is a box in the upper right that says "Check has not been run." Run the check and see what errors come up.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Wasgo
Connoisseur

No luck, the book had no errors.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Does it happen with all books or just the one? I'd try deleting all books, then load a different book onto the reader and see if it still happens.

While I love Calibre for some things, I'd open up the book in Sigil and do a check there. And just as another thing to check, make sure it's divided up into smaller html pages and it's not one huge html file for the entire book (yes, I've actually purchased books like that). Most readers will choke on one huge file. Once they're divided up properly, response on the reader is back to what it should be.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote