Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #1366
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
awesome, thanks I didn't know how much I missed, until I missed it!
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #1367
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Installation/Update Notes:
Don't uninstall previous versions before updating. Just install the new version on top of the older one (but read all of the following notes).
If you are upgrading from any version lower than 4.0.0: While this isn't absolutely required, I strongly recommend to uninstall, then reinstall JBPatch.
Thanks ixtab!!!

I guess I'm still waiting for my latte....but here goes --> aren't ALL the other versions lower than 4.0.0? Or are you future proofing your installation notes (you anticipate more battles with Amazon? )
I used the patches you posted while you worked on the entire package, will they uninstall the standard way?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #1368
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
They will, at least they did on my PW. If you have localisation, you have to install after the uninstall - install update, which is not necessary but necessary, or better recommended. ;-)
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #1369
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
They will, at least they did on my PW. If you have localisation, you have to install after the uninstall - install update, which is not necessary but necessary, or better recommended. ;-)
Thanks! I think I actually understood that! Of course I do work in the Department of Redundancy Department.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #1370
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Thanks ixtab!!!

I guess I'm still waiting for my latte....but here goes --> aren't ALL the other versions lower than 4.0.0? Or are you future proofing your installation notes (you anticipate more battles with Amazon? )
I used the patches you posted while you worked on the entire package, will they uninstall the standard way?
Yeah, I realized that it looks somewhat odd even while writing it. It's essentially meant for the future. In general, you don't have to uninstall (and even shouldn't, because it also removes the configuration) - but when making the jump to 4.0.0, it's better to do so.

The reason is that JBPatch 4.0.0 (and the patches) are essentially incompatible with previous versions/patches - which is indicated in the system log (old patches are ignored). But it might leave people wondering ("but... the files are there, so why don't the patches show up?") - and to prevent this, I recommend a clean reinstall.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1371
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thx for your work! Again!

I have a question. When I make a clean install, after I copy the localized txt files the /opt/jbpatch next to the .jar files and reboot. The localization isn't work. The framework localized but the patches not.
What changed?
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #1372
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
For me (german) the localisation is working perfect, try a restart of framework and recheck if the *.txt files are present.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #1373
qrti
qrti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
The reason is that JBPatch 4.0.0 (and the patches) are essentially incompatible with previous versions/patches - which is indicated in the system log (old patches are ignored). But it might leave people wondering ("but... the files are there, so why don't the patches show up?") - and to prevent this, I recommend a clean reinstall.
I was on firmware 5.3.1 and JBPatch 3.2.1, I first updated to firmware 5.3.4, then tried to clean JBPatch with uninstall.bin from 3.2.1 but it failed with an error message, something like 'uninstall failed'. After that I installed new JBPatch 4.0 and Kindlet Jailbreak and all works fine. When I start JBPatch 4.0 now, the margin patch shows up in the patchlist and it is greyed out. Is there a chance to get rid of it?
qrti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #1374
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanog View Post
Thx for your work! Again!

I have a question. When I make a clean install, after I copy the localized txt files the /opt/jbpatch next to the .jar files and reboot. The localization isn't work. The framework localized but the patches not.
What changed?
Nothing changed. It sounds like you didn't restart after copying the localization files. (The UI picks up changed localizations without a restart, but the patches don't). Do what diba said. If the problem persists, report back with more information (which files did you put where, what does the JBPatch log say, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrti View Post
I was on firmware 5.3.1 and JBPatch 3.2.1, I first updated to firmware 5.3.4, then tried to clean JBPatch with uninstall.bin from 3.2.1 but it failed with an error message, something like 'uninstall failed'. After that I installed new JBPatch 4.0 and Kindlet Jailbreak and all works fine. When I start JBPatch 4.0 now, the margin patch shows up in the patchlist and it is greyed out. Is there a chance to get rid of it?
It's greyed out because it is disabled. Tick the checkbox to enable it. Otherwise, read the documentation. It's in the Wiki and linked from the first post.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #1375
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So.

This is the full story:
I was on 5.3.4, I installed the 3.2.1 JBPatch and copied the standalone .jar's (Hyphenation, marignes). It worked and localized.
After I upgraded to 4.0.0. Then all settings localized, but greyed out.
Make an Uninstall_Update with 4.0.0 then reinstall 4.0.0 then copied the four txts (Framework, Hyph., margin, dic) Restart.
Only just Framework localized, so I write this board for help.
Then, I think the issue is: not uninstalled 3.2.1 just upgrade 4.0.0 and after uninstall 4.0.0 so I make some effort.
1. Uninstall with 4.0.0
2. Install 3.2.1.
3. Uninstall with 3.2.1
4. Install 4.0.0
5. Copy the 4 txt files /opt/jbpatch next to jar-s
6. Menu-Settings-Menu-Restart
7. Run the jbpatch 4.0.0 azw2 but nothing localized. Previously was localized the framework but now is nothing. English all things and framework too.
I'am on GB_EN locale but use an USA device and I want use Hungarian localization. So I don't know whats next...maybe full factory reset or I use in english.
The log is seems like ok. No warnings.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #1376
ixtab
(offline)

@hanog:

Try the following in this order.

Solution a)
Perform a "cleanup", then a restart of the framework.

Solution b)
Perform a "Sync", then copy the localization files again, then perform a "cleanup", from the system tab, and restart the framework.

Solution c)
Touch the localization files on the USB drive so that their modification timestamp is updated.

On Linux: touch /media/Kindle/opt/jbpatch/*.txt
On Windows, I have no idea about how to do this, except for editing and saving each file.

Then, check the log file. It should say "synchronized ..." for each file.
Then restart the framework from the JBPatch system tab.

Last edited by ixtab; 04-14-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #1377
hanog
Enthusiast

@ixtab:

Thank You!

I touched the loc files on usb, then cleanup & restart the framework. It is worked. Everything's fine!

Thanks again!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #1378
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
I note that an unistall of JBPatch 3.x followed by a reinstall of JBPatch 4.0.0 triggers something like four automatic reboot-like things (three framework restarts followed by a full reboot). For the last couple of those reboots I was worrying rather a lot that I might have stuck the thing in a reboot loop... but thankfully not. The restarts and reboots eventually ended and I had a working JBPatch 4.0.0.

As an aside, until I went into the newly-re-added jbpatch.azw2 for the first time, it was appearing with the wrong name (the name of the next item in the list, also the first on a new page, an emailed-in Calibre-generated personal document). I suspect this is a perfectly normal firmware bug, nothing to do with JBPatch, but it has never happened before...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #1379
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I note that an unistall of JBPatch 3.x followed by a reinstall of JBPatch 4.0.0 triggers something like four automatic reboot-like things (three framework restarts followed by a full reboot). For the last couple of those reboots I was worrying rather a lot that I might have stuck the thing in a reboot loop... but thankfully not. The restarts and reboots eventually ended and I had a working JBPatch 4.0.0.

As an aside, until I went into the newly-re-added jbpatch.azw2 for the first time, it was appearing with the wrong name (the name of the next item in the list, also the first on a new page, an emailed-in Calibre-generated personal document). I suspect this is a perfectly normal firmware bug, nothing to do with JBPatch, but it has never happened before...
Yeah, the Kindles sometimes act really strange. Here's another post of mine with speculations about what *might* cause such weird behavior.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #1380
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Solution c)
Touch the localization files on the USB drive so that their modification timestamp is updated.

On Linux: touch /media/Kindle/opt/jbpatch/*.txt
On Windows, I have no idea about how to do this, except for editing and saving each file.
On Windows - SetFileDate:
http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/ (screenshot)

Last edited by kaznelson; 04-15-2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Screenshot added.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks