Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #121
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm in the US and my Glo is still stuck on 2.8.1 also. Customer chat told me to do a factory reset. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the nuisance.

Does 2.10 play well with Calibre? If my Calibre tags will shelve my books as they do on my Sonys, I'd go ahead.
What I would like to say about this advice from Kobo CS would get me banned from the forums . That is completely ridiculous advice that won't get you anywhere in terms of getting 2.10 so save yourself the hassle and DON'T DO IT!! But when you do 2.10 rest assured that Calibre will work fine with it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #122
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I just synced both my Aura and Aura HD to see if they would get the 2.10.0 update, neither one got it; the HD is still on 2.8.1 and the 6" Aura is running 2.9.0. I wish there was some other way to find out if it's available to download (I don't use the desktop).

Last edited by MarciaCat; 11-03-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Typo
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #123
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
In my experience I usually get firmware updates approx. a month after folks first announce them here so I'm not planing to worry about it until the end of this month.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #124
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In my experience I usually get firmware updates approx. a month after folks first announce them here so I'm not planing to worry about it until the end of this month.
Normally I find out about the update long after it comes out because I either sync because I bought a book or want to continue reading on the tablet or phone (on the Glo I kept the WiFi off the rest of the time to save battery). Or I would come on here and see a thread for the new firmware and try syncing.

But with the Aura I'll use WiFi a bit more thanks to Pocket (though I don't use it daily by any means at the moment). So theoretically I am patient but that's patience through ignorance. As soon as I find out about them I get antsy and want me the shiniest new toy available.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #125
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Wouldn't it be nice if the Kobo had a setting to turn off the wifi automatically after a sync?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #126
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if the Kobo had a setting to turn off the wifi automatically after a sync?
I would love that. Have the option to have WiFi turned off but if you manually press Sync it will then turn on WiFi, sync, and turn it off again.

We should add this to the firmware feature request thread...
Old 11-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
I would love that. Have the option to have WiFi turned off but if you manually press Sync it will then turn on WiFi, sync, and turn it off again.

We should add this to the firmware feature request thread...
That's sort of what it does. A while after the sync finishes, the WiFi is disconnected. It isn't immediately, but I'm pretty sure it is less than 15 minutes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #128
Nightyume
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's sort of what it does. A while after the sync finishes, the WiFi is disconnected. It isn't immediately, but I'm pretty sure it is less than 15 minutes.
Not quite, WiFi goes to sleep, but it still syncs regularly. When you turn it on/off (not sure what it's set to in the Aura). What I'm talking about is for it to turn off completely and only sync when I want it to.

Although I have to admit that its behaviour has drastically improved since my Glo days.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #129
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Hm. Can I ask what firmware that is in? I just ensured wifi was marked "Disabled", told it to sync, and when the sync was done, set a timer for 16 minutes. At the end of that, Wifi still said "Enabled". It's my understanding that in "Enabled" mode there is increased battery suck over "Disabled" mode, not to mention that it will go on syncing periodically whether I want it to or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #130
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Regarding the roll out, usually a new release hits my devices between one and two weeks after it started in Canada.
Today is the one week mark so it shouldn't take too long now
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #131
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
What I would like to say about this advice from Kobo CS would get me banned from the forums . That is completely ridiculous advice that won't get you anywhere in terms of getting 2.10 so save yourself the hassle and DON'T DO IT!! But when you do 2.10 rest assured that Calibre will work fine with it.
Not necessarily, I once had to do a factory reset on my mini before it would update to the latest firmware. It's possible they have different timings between synch updates and reset updates so people buying new machines get the latest firmware - Although, I'll admit, it's probably more likely that sometimes the Kobo update mechanism goes kaphooey and needs a reset
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #132
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not quite, WiFi goes to sleep, but it still syncs regularly. When you turn it on/off (not sure what it's set to in the Aura). What I'm talking about is for it to turn off completely and only sync when I want it to.

Although I have to admit that its behaviour has drastically improved since my Glo days.
If you are reading purchased kepubs, then it will sync the book status a particular points. I don't see this happening when reading sideloaded books. In those cases, the WiFi turns itself off after a while.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #133
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Hm. Can I ask what firmware that is in? I just ensured wifi was marked "Disabled", told it to sync, and when the sync was done, set a timer for 16 minutes. At the end of that, Wifi still said "Enabled". It's my understanding that in "Enabled" mode there is increased battery suck over "Disabled" mode, not to mention that it will go on syncing periodically whether I want it to or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
It doesn't get disabled, it disconnects and should be turn off. When this happens, the WiFi icon will disappear from the top menu bar.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #134
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Wait, does that mean when I switch on the Wifi (which I occasionally do, perhaps once a fortnight) my reader might sync without asking?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #135
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Does anyone know if with 2.10 the Glo can wake up after sleeping and bring the light on, even at 1%?

Since 2.8.1, if I use the light and put my Kobo on sleep, light does not come back when waking up if set at 1%. I need a minimum of 2%, which is far too much for me.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote