Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #31
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
George RR Martin's "Wildcard" series....on which I cut my e-reading teeth..... Don't know if they are free or not though
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #32
Fanas
Fanas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well Asimov is an obvious choice, "the Last Question" is absolute favorite of mine. It's only a short story no more than 20page long, but I still liked it immensely.
Neal Stephenson is also a great author, I really liked "Snow Crash"
And one more for starters "Code of the lifemaker" by James P. Hogan.
Fanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Actually, the topic states Beginner's Sci Fi recommendations... And discworld doesn't really qualify.
Yes, the topic states Sci Fi, but the OP did say fantasy as well. So in that case, Discworld fits fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:15 AM   #34
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, the topic states Sci Fi, but the OP did say fantasy as well. So in that case, Discworld fits fine.
Ooops, missed that, you are so right.

Then I would recommend either Spellsinger by Alan Dean Foster, or Myth series by Robert Asprin as far as fantasy on the "lighter" side goes

Or Phule series by Asprin as well if you want SF on the "lighter" side.

Neither of these are however free....

Last edited by Slite; 08-19-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #35
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopanda View Post
George RR Martin's "Wildcard" series....on which I cut my e-reading teeth..... Don't know if they are free or not though
Nope, theyre not "free", still copyrighted etc etc.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #36
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Two shorts by Asimov:
The Last Question
The Feeling of Power
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #37
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks folks. Nabbed the Asimov shorts and put them into rtf for ereader.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #38
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
There were a few more things on that page that looked interesting.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #39
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is not really primarily a fantasy series. It is a humorous series first.
Going for humorous stuff would be an obvious was for them to ease into the genres though, which makes the likes of discworld, phule (also myth series) or something like hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and ideal introduction.

For something a bit less light, add another vote for both dune and ender's game both are excellent standalone reads in their own right and both have the rest of their respective series if you enjoy the first one, which is a welcome change compared with quite a lot of fantasy authors where the books only hold together as part of a series.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #40
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I also am a big fan of Anne McCaffery, especially the earlier Pern/dragon books. I probably have them all, paperback books, plus I have them all on my Sony.
I'm in the process of re-reading Red Mars (originally read it about 5 or 6 years ago) on my Sony; by Kim Stanley Robinson. Plus I highly recommend the Foundation Trilogy by Asimov; I think they pretty much have to be read in sequence, as does Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #41
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #42
dapedius
dapedius began at the beginning.

Device: None
Just general recommendations from me ....

For me the best Fantasy I have read is George RR Martin's Fire and Ice series with A Game of Thrones the first in the series and is absolutely fantastic.

For Sci-Fi I am reading Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained in the Confederation Saga by Peter Hamilton which are really good and the best Sci-Fi I have read in years.

I can highly recommend both of these but I am not reading this as ebooks (??) as I still have to buy a reader and am scouting around the forum on the hunt for information. I will be getting these as ebooks if they are available when I get a reader :-)
dapedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #43
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
I also am a big fan of Anne McCaffery, especially the earlier Pern/dragon books. I probably have them all, paperback books, plus I have them all on my Sony.
I'm in the process of re-reading Red Mars (originally read it about 5 or 6 years ago) on my Sony; by Kim Stanley Robinson. Plus I highly recommend the Foundation Trilogy by Asimov; I think they pretty much have to be read in sequence, as does Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books.
I loved the Foundation Trilogy when I was a kid (still do actually)... I would say read yes, Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation have to be read in order. In his later years Asimov wrote a number of additional Foundation Novels... of them, I can only recommend Foundation's Edge. The Rest of the Series is an attempt (Not quite successful in my opinion) by Asimov to tie his Foundation Series with his Robot stories. I also highly recommend his Elijah Bailey stories (Which are 3 novels and one short story that are part of his Robot stories). Also recommended by him are the stand alone novels, Ends of Eternity and The Gods Themselves.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #44
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I can't believe no one has recommended Frank Herbert's Dune series yet. For fantasy, I echo the recommendation for Stephen Lawhead.
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #45
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks for all the help, it's very useful. I'll be reading sci fi and fantasy for months. I hope this thread also helps others.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy books, recommendation, sci-fi