Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
ChaosInc
Enthusiast
ChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: iPaq 3800 series
Question How can i use Calibre wto convert without using the internet at all?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...add1/help.gifI recently downloaded Calibre, had problems, updated to the newest version, still have the same problem. Why is it that I have to be connected to the net to convert a book? Reading is no problem at all, but converting one is. The program keeps saying it is waiting. Waiting for what-- it seems to be waiting to connect to the net so it can do what I have asked it to do.

I have been disconnected from the net, started a conversation, came back 20 minutes later, and it is still 'waiting' if you click the spinning hourglass. If I connect to the internet (with or without all those alarms, anti-viral software, etc my son keeps put in, or updating for me, going,) it converts in just a few seconds!https://www.mobileread.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif

I have tried to search the forums and have not found anything useful yet, .py? files, 'terminal'? command prompt?. In fact, please assume I am a senior citizen that doesn't know much about computers, and explain in normal everyday english if you can. I know that sometimes that is difficult to do when talking compterese. Please have patience with me.

thank you
ChaosInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you dont need to be connected to the net. You do need to add an exception for calibre in your firewall as calibre uses worker processes to do the conversion and communicates with these worker processes over the "net". The simplest way to check if this is your problem is to first disconnect your computer from the net, then tturn off your fireall and then start calibre and try the conversion.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if the site these worker processes is run from is down or gone for good, does this mean that Calibre is useless?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The "site" in your case is your own PC. It is just that Calibre uses networking technology to communicate between its own internal processes.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
ChaosInc
Enthusiast
ChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: iPaq 3800 series
Thank you so much for answering what to you could be a stupid question.

So.. if I understand this correctly, even if I am not physically connected to the net, sometimes saying allow will make programs like yours work properly. hmm... maybe I still am of this universe yet...

I am very smart in some areas, please don't get me wrong, I can tell anyone why one type of driver will not work with another in different programs, and how to get around it. But this had me stumped, and I never have learned 'Zone' thing at all, maybe I should investigate further as I'm always clicking allow or deny for different things.

Watch out books, here I come!

Thank you young man.

Now I can get some 'real' work done.
ChaosInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad to have helped, and it's always a good idea to learn more about the tools you use
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote