Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Fossil
Fossil began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
version 4.129 problem

Upgraded to v4.129 and imported & converted html file to epub.

Nothing appeared different from previous version until I opened the file in the viewer. The <br> went from single spacing to double. I naturally thought it was me as I had added a line between paragraphs as I find this easier to read. Went back to the html file to check, appeared OK. Did the import and conversion again - same thing, <br><br>looked like 4 line spacings between paragraphs.

Opened up v4.127 and converted same html file - perfect.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with v4.129? I am using an IMAC running OSX 10.5.6.

Love this program, just figured out how to do TOC....
Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Attach a sample HTML file showing this problem
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
Upgraded to v4.129 and imported & converted html file to epub.

Nothing appeared different from previous version until I opened the file in the viewer. The <br> went from single spacing to double. I naturally thought it was me as I had added a line between paragraphs as I find this easier to read. Went back to the html file to check, appeared OK. Did the import and conversion again - same thing, <br><br>looked like 4 line spacings between paragraphs.

Opened up v4.127 and converted same html file - perfect.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with v4.129? I am using an IMAC running OSX 10.5.6.
Yes, I noticed the same thing with one of my HTML to epub conversions. The multiple-spaced text was in the <body> portion of the html. I solved the spacing problem by placing the text within paragraph tags <p></p> and the result was single spacing in the epub.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Fossil

Here's a sample of the html
Attached Files
File Type: txt book.txt (516.7 KB, 336 views)
Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will be fixed in next release
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Fossil

Unhappy Spacing problem still with v4.130

downloaded v4.130 - problem still appears to be there.

Quote:
Yes, I noticed the same thing with one of my HTML to epub conversions. The multiple-spaced text was in the <body> portion of the html. I solved the spacing problem by placing the text within paragraph tags <p></p> and the result was single spacing in the epub.
Yekim54 - followed your advice and worked fine. Found this in the ePub Best Practices documentation:

Quote:
Use <br /> element only when it’s appropriate (poems, addresses, etc.)
The <br /> element is for introducing line breaks where those breaks are part of the content. The breaks within verses of a poem are part of the content and so that use is helpful. Other use of the <br />element should be avoided. Paragraphs will already have breaks between them because of the paragraph elements and you’ll be able to control the space around them with CSS styling.
I shall be putting this into practice from now on...
Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Works for me, see attached
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (217.5 KB, 253 views)
Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Fossil

Thanks Kovid - helps if I choose the right file....