Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
djprescott
Enthusiast
djprescott began at the beginning.

Device: None
Custom font will not show on device

Hi all

I wonder if I could get some advice again. The problem is driving me crazy.

It is to do with custom fonts in my file not displaying on the Kindle Fire.

I have created an epub file (for later conversion to Kindle). Custom fonts work fine as an epub.

When I run the epub into the desktop Kindle Previewer, again the custom fonts display fine. However, when I load the mobi file that is churned out by the previewer, onto my Kindle Fire, it has reverted to default fonts.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should check for, or what might be the reason for this?

Thanks in advance
Dan
djprescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Kindle Fire actively tries to thwart any attempts to dictate the font used for the normal text of a book. Because dictating that font has the side-effect of disabling a reader's ability to choose their own preferred reading font. An ability Amazon's research indicates their customers value.

So if you used the normal epub method of assigning the font-family to the "body" element using css, the Fire (at least the newer HDs) will ignore it. Regardless of how it looks in the previewer.

You can jump through hoops and assign the font-face attribute to different elements/classes to achieve what you want, but as mentioned, you then thwart the user's ability to choose for themselves. You really should consider not doing it all. Nothing wrong with including fonts for headings and other special text; that will still work fine, but unless it's just for your own personal use, you should probably accept the fact that readers like being able to choose their own font for reading.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best solution is to install Aldiko on your Fire and read the ePub as is and the embedded fonts will work and then you won't have to convert.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
djprescott
Enthusiast

Many thanks both

It is just the headers that I really want to use custom fonts for. I'm happy to leave the choice of body font up to the user.

I just wondered if you knew of any technical reason why they wouldn't be showing up?
To explain further, I have one file that works fine on the Fire when converted and displays custom fonts, and I have another that doesn't. I can't find any difference between the two in terms of coding or the internal structure of the file.

One obvious difference is that the one that works uses Truetype, and the one that doesn't uses Opentype. Could this be anything to do with it?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's possible there's an issue with the fonts themselves, but not likely if they work in the epub. Not really much use in speculating without seeing the html and the css ... or better yet, a small sample epub that exhibits the behavior when converted (as long as the font-license allows free distribution).
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
djprescott
Enthusiast

Cheers!
Here is a sample file which displays the problem.
Is is the font Brandon Grotesque, that is not working.

Any advice would be gratefully received!
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: epub test_fonts.epub (747.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It may be later this afternoon (Eastern), but I'll be happy to give it a looksee.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I would guess that you have Adobe font obfuscation turned on. Try turning that off and you should get a file that will work. However, expect Kindlegen to complain about the font being a type 1 Postscript font.
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Indeed. As William guessed, those fonts are obfuscated in the epub. You can't feed obfuscated fonts to Kindlegen/Previewer. They must be unobfuscated (Amazon will add their own font obfuscation to all embedded fonts). You must either tell InDesign not to obfuscate the fonts (if that's what you're using), or use Sigil to right click on the font files and remove the obfuscation. Just make sure that you're legally ALLOWED to distribute those fonts before-hand.