Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't know when fiction was invented, but for untold ages, fiction has been central to humanity. It is at least as old as cave paintings: no one without fiction could have painted them. You must imagine what is not in order to paint them. To plan requires imagination, which is the root of fiction. We don't hunt by instinct, we learn, imagine and plan.

Non-fiction is good, it gives us information. Fiction exercises the imagination. It shows us other possibilities. Some people deride the reading of fiction, but they probably get their fiction from TV.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I like fiction because it is a great art form. A great way to make a parable. It kind of illustrates how, while we are obviously all different, we are also all the same. Even in stories I don't like, I sometimes find a hint of personality quietly slip into a character that I can relate to.

My tastes in what I like, in fiction are hard to nail down, but there is so much on line to read and broaden my horizons.

I like tv shows and movies etc, but sometimes I want to turn off the cacophony and just let my imagination quietly be exercised.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some people are mystified when a story that doesn't have the best prose becomes popular. It's because the story is always what people have been after. Great prose can enhance a story, but great prose without a great story falls flat.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I like my life, but I can only take so much of it at any given time.

Karma to you good sir.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
DarnellSaki
The Boy With 1000 Stories
DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexuz 7
Part escapism, part feeding my imagination, creativity (If I started playing with action figures in public people would think I was nuts. Reading fiction is one of the only socially acceptable ways to nurture your imagination)
DarnellSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Short answer: because there's no need to read reality;
We're deeply stuck in it. (except people knowing a very generous drug dealer or pharmacist )
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

We're stuck in *a* reality. But each of us has only a worms-eye view of the world. Non-fiction gives us facts, fiction gives us perspectives.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
In answer to the OP.

Because we dream.

We're wired for fiction.

Because we are sentient and use it to survive.

We're wired for fiction.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #24
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I'll never actually have a chance to live in the worlds and times of the characters I read about, but it's as close as I can get. And I like it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #25
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Well said. Sums up my reasons as well.
Mine too -- plus it gives me extended time with people (characters) I find fascinating.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Many of the reasons given but I also like to absorb some of the best authors' non-fiction research, as fed through narrative. I'm thinking of locations around the world, scientific theories, historical figures, etcetera. I do read non-fiction but I enjoy fiction more.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I read fiction mainly because I really like to read fiction. I sometimes get a huge endorphin rush when I start a book by an author I like. I seem to recall my mouth watering on more than one occasion just in anticipation. Bizarre I know.

I particularly enjoy series with characters I find interesting and/or likeable even if they are evil villains.

Like Penforhire said, I also like to accidentally learn something or gain insight into other cultures.

I occasionly watch TV, play video games and read non-fiction but could survive okay without them. I could survive without reading fiction, but would I want to?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Because I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
What the heck else are you going to do with it?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Short answer: because there's no need to read reality;
We're deeply stuck in it. (except people knowing a very generous drug dealer or pharmacist )
This. Because it's different than us (at least, the stuff I read is).

There was a comedian years ago (don't remember who) who did part of his routine about movies (I'm sure I am not going to even come close to an exact quote, so go easy on me if you're familiar). He said that he had no desire to watch movies about relationships, because he had relationships. He wanted to watch movies like "The People Under the Stairs", which was about people that live in the basement that eat people, because he didn't have anyone that lived in his basement that ate people.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote