Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Apple Gets Touchscreen Patent

This is getting interesting now. It looks like a CBS soap, hahahaha...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23089...or_rivals.html

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
like a bunch of kids in a playground D:
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Patents always look more like a Three Stooges sketch to me, except not funny. Will the patent and copyright system ever come to grips with the high-octane XXI century digital world?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
like a bunch of kids in a playground D:
Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. In a few years someone will patent the way we walk and we will have to pay royalties for that (or our moms)

[disclaimer: this comment was posted from my iPad 2 ]
Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
The patent system in this country is an absolute joke. We need a major overhaul of the entire system.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline

By the way, someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm still a young man, lol, not too old to confirm some data) but I believe 1st touchscreen was a Palm, wasn't it?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I think this deals with multitouch.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
By the way, someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm still a young man, lol, not too old to confirm some data) but I believe 1st touchscreen was a Palm, wasn't it?
Naa it was HP or IBM back in the early 80's. In the development stage I think they actually go back to the late 50's or early 60's but but not in use by the general public.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
To me, this shows that Apple is afraid of the competition. I have an android phone and from what I've seen on iphones that friends have android is way better.

They can't believe that I get Angry Birds for free, I can arrange my homescreen anyway I want, I can install any apps I want from any source, I can load any files from my computer, etc.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The patent system in this country is an absolute joke. We need a major overhaul of the entire system.
<Semi-off-topic rant>

We well may need an overhaul of the entire system. It's interesting, though, to consider the history of the patent system and how it has dealt with new fields in the past.

(Short summary for those in the tl;dr camp: Modern patent systems have always sucked at dealing with new technical fields. Every new technical domain has suffered from 20-50 years of atrociously awful patents, after which things settle down to a more reasonable state.)

Some examples from history:

Steam engines: The British patent office granted one of the early steam engine designers (Newcomen? Watt? I forget which...) a patent on the crank, completely ignoring a few thousand years of prior art. Rather than being stymied by this, his main rival (the other one of the two above) invented the Sun-and-planet gear to work around the patent. This is a fine example of an egregiously horrible patent that should never have been granted in the first place.

Aircraft: The US patent office (and those of a number of other countries) granted a patent on "the wing" to the Wright brothers. The Wrights really did invent a crap-load of important new stuff: wing-warping (now implemented as ailerons), the wind tunnel, and tons more. And they deserved their patents on those things. But "the wing" had plenty of prior art, from early gliders back to da Vinci and even earlier. The patent office(s) gave them an absurdly broad patent -- another patent that should never have been granted.

Computer Displays: The "cursor XOR patent" covered using the exclusive-or operation to mix in a cursor on a display. It was innovative and useful, but clearly failed the obviousness test. See, there're only 32 logical operators total. Choosing from a total space of 32 choices is hardly innovative.

There are similar examples from early automobiles, steamships, railroads, radio, electronics, micro-electronics, chemistry, etc. As far as I can see, what happens is that the various patent offices are initially unable to hire examiners who have adequate knowledge of a new subject domain. So they grant bunches of bad patents. After a few decades, when the field is more mature, the early stupid patents have all expired and the patent office can afford to hire examiners who are well educated in the field. So the percentage of really stupid patents goes way down.

In the software and computer world I hear lots of folks argue that "we're different" and that things are changing so fast that these dumb patents are holding everything back. My usual response is to point out that this is a phase that every new field goes through. It sucks, but it ends. After that, the patent system appears to work quite well.

It sometimes works in the early stages, too. Here are two examples:

Adobe attempted to patent the idea of a "tool palette" where you select a tool and then apply it to your drawing. In the early 1980s. I sent a quick note to the named inventors, with a copy to their legal department and a couple of Adobe's founders pointing out that they had no excuse for being "unaware" that this technology was publicly demonstrated in 1964 in my Dad's Ph.D. thesis. After all, one of the founders in question had been one of my Dad's grad students and the other was an early employee at my Dad's company; both of them were certainly aware of the prior art. Adobe abandoned that patent application. One bad patent squashed!

I spent 14 years doing R&D at a start-up company that built optimizing compilers. Nearly everything I did for the first 10 years was considered a trade secret, and went unpublished. But then software patents came along. Thereafter, my discussions with management about publishing went like this:
Sr. VP: You cant publish that! It's too important to our products!
Me: Are we going to file for a patent on it?
SVP: No, too expensive.
Me: Then we'd better publish quickly, before someone else patents it out from under us and prevents us from using it in our products.
SVP: Right -- publish fast.
Just the possibility of patenting a software innovation made the difference between "hide it from everyone" and "publish as fast as you can!"

</semi-off-topic rant>

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23089...or_rivals.html

I feel...sick...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
this is ridiculous patent award and i disagree with pc worlds

Quote:
"More likely, though, Apple and other companies will deal with the new patent out-of-court by essentially licensing the technology--every company that wants to use a setup like the iPhone and iPad would pay Apple a cash sum to lease the rights."
Those companies are going to go to court in lockstep against this patent. along with other companies who are actually in the business of creating multi-touch enabled resistive and capacitive displays.

apple did not create resistive or capacitive touch displays . apple did not create multitouch displays, apple was not the first with a multitouch UI and yet we're expected to believe the patent would stand in court and every one will just take out their check books and start paying Apple?

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 06-23-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

I just keep digging and reading online. Found other articles and comments about it that say all this is for the capacitive touch screen and multi touch capabilities. Not so sure if that's more speculation about the same topic. But I'm almost sure, we already had resistive touch screen prior iPad era.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
This is ridiculous. And whoever thought it was a good idea to issue this patent should be kicked in the groin. Repeatedly. By a prime Mirko Filipović.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
we should patent everything so people can pay us stuff x.x
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote