Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #1
Symm1
Symm1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Preserve aspect ratio for images in Calibre

I have converted my Word file to ePub in Calibre successfully, but when the new epub file is expanded or shrunk for various devices the images distort and do not maintain their aspect ratio. I fixed the cover, but I have jpeg images for each chapter heading and they squash down width wise to tall and skinny when the file is reduced in width for smaller devices. Could someone please provide some HTML code to keep the images at their correct aspect ration of 16:9 ?
Thanks
Symm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Foozle
Connoisseur
Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Use the svg image tag. I recently learned how to use this myself:

<svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" viewBox="0 0 [HEIGHT WIDTH]" height="100%" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image height="[HEIGHT]" width="[WIDTH]" xlink:href="../images/[IMAGE FILE HERE]"/>
</svg>

Input your image height and width in the [HEIGHT WIDTH] section. So if your image is 1920x1280, viewbox="0 0 1920 1280" and height="1920" width="1280".

You can also adjust the height and width percentages to fill your size needs. If you want the image just 75%, just change the percentage in the svg tag.

Note: svg does not work for every format or every reader, but it's a great format to use.
Foozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
Foozle
Connoisseur
Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Sorry, quick correction: swap the height and width in the svg tag. It should be [WIDTH HEIGHT]. My apologies. I typed in backwards. So with my example, it should be viewBox="0 0 1280 1920".

Hope this helps!
Foozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:49 AM   #4
Symm1
Symm1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, Foozle. Very good advice!
Symm1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspect ration, calibre, images