Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
madman
madman has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: ipad
why I bought an ipad to use as an e-reader

So I lurked here for a long time, trying to figure out which device would best meet my needs - which were at the time, I thought, big screen, e-ink, technical pdf's with annotations etc., etc.,.

Being from Canada, I'm somewhat limited in my choices and so I waffled back and forth between getting someone to pick up a Sony PRS900 from the states, and flirted with the idea of an iREX DR800. But over and over what I saw was many "sort-of" solutions that didn't really fill all my wants.

I had previously dismissed the ipad as a viable solution due to the glossy display (no e-ink! - I have a (real) book collection of around 4K volumes, so I'm an "avid reader") because I had it in my mind that this would cause eye-strain and be hard to read and all that.

So I bought one, which may have been a rash decision at the time, but after playing with it in the store I wanted to give it a chance.

1) The Screen - I did buy an anti-glare protector from Nu-Shield, which seems to help quite a bit. I have read my ipad for up to 5 hours in one sitting and have had no problems, just turn down the brightness if you're indoors, it's really not uncomfortable at all to hold or to read for extended periods of time. Outdoors well, that's a different matter, if you are in the shade, there's no problem with reading the device - bright sunlight however is pretty bad, although not impossible - but I don't like to read in the direct sun for long periods of time anyway, so this is not an issue for me.

2) Pdf's - between iAnnotate and Goodreader, there is no issue with pdf reading, highlighting, etc., in fact it's quite enjoyable. There's supposed to be an update coming for iBooks that will incorporate pdf functionality, so we'll see what happens.

3) Battery - So when I read, *I'm reading* which means I don't need wireless or bluetooth to be on - turn those off and turn down your brightness (I keep mine around 25-35%) this extends the life to, for sure around 10 hours with just reading. I know you get tonnes of battery life from an e-ink reader but really, it's no big deal to plug it in overnight when the battery dips below 20%

Overall, if the ipad was just an ebook reader, it'd be great - but add all the other features, and it's awesome. The glossy screen is the biggest fear for people, I understand that, but honestly... I've had no issues.

Sorry for the length, just my two cents...

Last edited by madman; 06-08-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: adding battery info; grammar :)
madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad makes an excellent bookreader; I think you've made a very good choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Harry,

If you had to choose just one device to be your ebook reading device, which device would you choose?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Harry,

If you had to choose just one device to be your ebook reading device, which device would you choose?
As a dedicated bookreader, I'd choose the BeBook Neo. But if I had to only have one "gadget" in my life it would be the iPad, because it's a completely general-purpose device, and can realistically replace a laptop for most things, at a fraction of the weight, and many times the battery life.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
LevAizik
LevAizik is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Reflections, fingerprints and backlight make iPad a horrible ebook reader. What the difference between iPad and LCD screen? None. Why should I pay 650$ for this useless toy? If you want PDF reader just buy netbook for 300$.
LevAizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Have you actually used one, Lev?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevAizik View Post
Reflections, fingerprints and backlight make iPad a horrible ebook reader. What the difference between iPad and LCD screen? None. Why should I pay 650$ for this useless toy? If you want PDF reader just buy netbook for 300$.
Well, I use a stylus on my ipad, so fingerprints are not an issue (and similar issues would exist with a netbook/tablet), and the reflection/backlight are personal choices for sure...

As for it being a "useless toy" that's completely incorrect. I can use it to manage our large network, there are IT-type apps for every conceivable situation I encounter (ssh, x-forwarding, remote login, vnc, etc.,). Productivity apps, art, and games are excellent - I often use it (connected to a projector) for classroom instruction using the PaperDesk app. So that's a bit of a troll-type comment
Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Well, I use a stylus on my ipad, so fingerprints are not an issue (and similar issues would exist with a netbook/tablet), and the reflection/backlight are personal choices for sure...
Because the screen is backlit, I find that fingerprints completely disappear when the iPad is switched on. When it's off, it looks a mess, but in use, the fingerprints are completely invisible.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
LezAizik, do you even own an iPad or have used one for hours or days on end to make that judgment? I and several other skeptics I know of are all convinced our iPad makes a decent reader. Not perfect but it has advantages over dedicated readers as well as some disadvantages. Th OP hit it on the head. I read books on my iPad for many hours and I have had no issues, except in bright sunlight. But then I don't spend too much time in direct sunlight because I sunburn easily so it's not an issue for me. The reflections are minimal in most settings. Backlighting actually is a plus in some situations where light is a problem. Yeah, it is a fingerprint magnet. Usually not noticeable when you're doing stuff on it....mostly only when screen is off or darkened. Solution? Wipe it with a microfibre cloth once in a while. Once in a while I have to wipe the dust off of my Astak EZ reader too so really it's no big thing with either device.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Bookem
Bookem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I checked out the new iPad to at my local Best buy store I really liked it a lot. The thing that put me off was the price. I am sure that in a few months the price will drop.
The Kindle gets some great reviews and Amazon claimed that it is their biggest selling product.
I see as well that quite a few kindles are starting to pop up on the used market.
As I already have a laptop I am leaning towards buying a used kindle.
I will continue to read the comments here and elsewhere before I make my decision.
Bookem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Oh by the way, let me address "useless toy".

"toy"- why, yes it is. Doing computer stuff, games, applications and yes, even reading, on the iPad is FUN! Why the need to be all so serious? I've used PCs, Tablet PCs, net books, ebook readers, etc for a long time but have never had this much FUN with a related device. Just enjoyable all the way around.

"useless"-uh, no. How many ereaders do you know of that can have full wireless access to the iBook store, Amazon and B&N (more to come, I'm sure), handle PDFs nicely, as well as fetch email, surf the web, take notes and a whole lot more?
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Access to the iBooks store is the biggest flaw of the iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is a weak spot, especially for Canadians, that will be addressed soon I hope - there are many other options of course, so not something that is a deal breaker for me anyway.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Forgive the stupidity of the question, but is the iPad locked into using ibooks store for its books ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Forgive the stupidity of the question, but is the iPad locked into using ibooks store for its books ?
Not at all. Every company makes an ipad app for their stores (Kindle, B&N, Kobo, probably others). If you have non-drm epub's laying around, you can just add them to itunes and sync with ibooks and away you go. And of course for pdf's the possibilities are endless...