Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
iPad wireless woes?

So there seem to be quite a few complaints about wireless networking on the iPad. I certainly have problems - I'm finding it really hard to get content on the device because of network timeouts. Not very good given that I want to use it as an eReader - I've managed to transfer only about 5 comics and 4 books these past two days.

OTOH I have friends at work who bought iPads too and they say they have had no issues. So I'm wondering if perhaps there are just a bunch of bad devices out there and I should try for an exchange (otherwise it might be a return). I'm interested in hearing from others. If you respond, include what kind of wireless router you have, what kind of case, and how much flash memory (I have 16GB, my friends with no issues have 16GB - so if it is a bad batch it may be correlated with amount of flash).

Last edited by geekraver; 04-07-2010 at 02:25 AM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I did notice it dropping out sometimes at my girlfriends. Seemed ok when I was in the same room as the router (didn't drop out streaming videos on ABC app etc.).

But did a few times while in another room, but not that often, maybe once or twice in 4 hours or so of playing around with it the other day.

It could be an issue with certain routers as well, which would explain why some have issues and others don't.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
In my case I've had issues with both a Netgear 802.11g/n router and my Verizon FIOS 802.11g router, and had issues at work too (where my other iPad owning friends had none). I can have full bars on the signal indicator and still get timeouts. I'm sitting about 20 feet from my router.

Interestingly my limited use of ABC and Netflix apps has been fine. It has been HTTP and WebDAV transfers that have had issues.

Last edited by geekraver; 04-07-2010 at 01:34 AM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
No problems here, but the iPad does seem to notice if the wireless has not been used for a period of time, and drops the connection. Not really a bad thing, as it keeps the battery from depleting, and connects quickly when a new request for connectivity is made.

I've been streaming a lot of netflix with no interruption in service.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i haven't had any problems with wireless in my house, at a few airports and at a few hotels..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
So there seem to be quite a few complaints about wireless networking on the iPad. I certainly have problems - I'm finding it really hard to get content on the device because of network timeouts. Not very good given that I want to use it as an eReader - I've managed to transfer only about 5 comics and 4 books these past two days.
Can you not copy files to the iPad via a cable, like you can with the iPod Touch, etc?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you not copy files to the iPad via a cable, like you can with the iPod Touch, etc?
it depends on the application and the file type.

some applications appear in itunes and allow you to transfer supported (by the app) file types in and out. keynote, numbers, and pages are all like this. goodreader also allows you to import files into it via itunes, or via network or internet.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
mine's working fine

it refuses to auto connect when the brightness is at min though. I just turned it up a bit.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I saw this article on MSNBC about Wifi complaints: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36223698...h_and_gadgets/

I'm not surprised. There are a lot of different providers, routers, modems, and combinations thereof so there are bound to be some that don't work well with new hardware.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

It could have just been a bad lot if WiFi cards. The big question is how is apple going to fix this. They must do something before they release the 3Gs
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There seems to be a fix but you'll have to be patient and knowledgeable with router settings.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/...fi-issues.html
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Another solution from an iPadforums.net user.

Quote:
iPad and dual band routers

I was having problems with weakening signal and dropped connections with my DLINK DIR 655 N router. I changed the settings in my router setup so it only broadcasts in b/g mode (since I couldn't rename the SSID's as Apple suggested).
This seemed to fix my problem and my connection has been full bars and no loss in connection.
This won't help if you are in a public place and defeats the purpose of N mode routers. It prob will work to set mode to N mode only if all your devices use N mode but I have some that can only connect to g mode.

I hope this makes sense and helps someone out.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

The fix shouldn't be to reconfigure your router. What if you are using one is someone elses business or a Panera Breads? Are you going to go to the IT manager and and tell him to reconfigure his router for your iPad?

If you have 3 other devices that work fine on your router than the iPad should as well. Wirless has been around for almost 10 years and this isn't the first wireless device that Apple has made.

Seeing how it is only affecting a portion of the iPad users, I would think that it is a hardware issue. Perhaps a batch of bad wireless radios.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It does seem to vary by router etc.

Had it drop out twice in 5 hours or so of using it (reading, watching TV shows) at my girlfriends last night with her d-link router. Has never dropped out at my place when she's brought it over with my Linksys. Her dlink sucks though, our laptops drop out there as well, especially if you're more than a room away from it.

Also didn't drop out in our office, nor in the restaurant we went for brunch.

So I'm not sure if it's bad radios, or some people are just having bad luck with certain routers etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I haven't had any issues either at home or at Starbucks.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote