Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 04:52 AM   #1
Woodssi
Enthusiast
Woodssi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2)
Converted Files won't show on Paperwhite

Hi all,

I converted 472 EPUB files into MOBI format, in order to transfer onto my new Paperwhite.

All went fine, using the latest version (2.48) and all transferred successfully, but only 8 titles will show in the List View.

I tried converting to AZW3 also, but same happens.

Having read other similar posts, I realise there must be a corrupted file in there somewhere, but I'd like to know how to FIND & REPAIR whichever one is causing the issue.

Is there some sort of checker (or other utility) in Calibre, or anywhere else for that matter, that I can use?

Any help, or info, would be appreciated
Woodssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Until an expert can point you to the correct tool, you could try sending 50 books at a time and see at what point you get problems. Then start again with the 50 containing the corrupt file and send 10 at a time, etc. etc. until you pinpoint the offending book.

P.S. I'd use AZW3 rather than MOBI as it supports more features and you can tweak the final output with calibre's built in editor.

Last edited by Agama; 01-07-2016 at 07:42 AM. Reason: P.S.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Woodssi
Enthusiast

Despite trying to send the files in small groups, the same thing happens... Only 1 book out of 33 attempts actually showed up.

As for the file type, changing did not affect the outcome.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Is your Kindle set to show just books or all documents? By default, calibre converts to MOBI and AZW3 that show up on Kindles as Personal Documents, not books
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Is your Kindle set to show just books or all documents? By default, calibre converts to MOBI and AZW3 that show up on Kindles as Personal Documents, not books
What works for me... Install QualityCheck plugin->click on QualityCheck->Fix->Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire->Ok

Since I've started regularly doing this, books always end up in Books.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
Woodssi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sir, I take my hat off to you. That was the problem.

What threw me was that some titles show as actual Books, I wonder why this is?

The rest appeared when I changed the settings on the Paperwhite (I'm used to the older Kindle that just showed everything that was in the Documents folder appearing automatically).

Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
Woodssi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
What works for me... Install QualityCheck plugin->click on QualityCheck->Fix->Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire->Ok

Since I've started regularly doing this, books always end up in Books.
Normally I delete the Tags, but I will definitely try this and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodssi View Post
Sir, I take my hat off to you. That was the problem.

It depends on whether the book has a cdetype, and if it is set to EBOK or PDOC, or if the book has an ASIN.

In other words, Quality Check contains magic pixie dust, use it and be happy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:00 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodssi View Post
Some books will already have a cdetype of EBOK. For conversions to MOBI/AZW3, calibre by default sets this to PDOC. This is a calibre preference in (I think) one of the conversion options. If you find this and change it to EBOK, future conversions will appear as books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:21 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Actually, it is a saved conversion setting but it doesn't require reconverting.

Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Otput Options ==> MOBI Output (tab) ==> Personal Doc tag: set to [EBOK]
Bulk Edit Metadata ==> Remove stored conversion settings for the selected books
Then resend.

The book will have the cdetype set to EBOK.

The Quality Check plugin on the other hand embeds an ASIN, which forces it to show up as a Book regardless. No need for setting the cdetype.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-08-2016 at 03:24 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote