Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #106
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
And I forgot to mention that the Kindle and Nook 7" can play 720p native and their big brothers, 9", can play 1080p native. The mini, on the other hand, has to scale down 720p and then letterbox it.
But no cameras and won't run iPad apps at all.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #107
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Right, though the Amazon and the N7 have front facing cameras for video conferencing. But if you must have a rear camera (I guess some people like to look like fools taking pictures with tablets), you'll have to look elsewhere.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #108
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Right, though the Amazon and the N7 have front facing cameras for video conferencing. But if you must have a rear camera (I guess some people like to look like fools taking pictures with tablets), you'll have to look elsewhere.
No pooh! I cannot even imagine using the back camera on my iPad3! The most important part of a camera is the lens, and regardless of what Apple, Samsung, Motorola, et cetera claim, the lenses on phones and tablets are nothing more than gimmicky toys. Even the cheap consumer grade pocket cameras have much greater lenses than anything found on phones and tablets. If you want to post a family or pet photo on Facebook they are okay. If you want a quality photo then buy a good camera.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #109
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
This reminds me of the story "The Emperor's New Clothes" and how everyone admired and exclaimed how wonderful he looked and yet he was naked. Maybe I'm missing something but I just keep thinking theres something missing and the jokes on us.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #110
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
This reminds me of the story "The Emperor's New Clothes" and how everyone admired and exclaimed how wonderful he looked and yet he was naked. Maybe I'm missing something but I just keep thinking theres something missing and the jokes on us.

Yes, that's kind of how I feel, too.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #111
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:

Dale
Pardon? Are you saying the iPad Mini wont run iPad apps? It does, and it has front and rear cameras.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #112
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Pardon? Are you saying the iPad Mini wont run iPad apps? It does, and it has front and rear cameras.
He was saying that the Kindle and the Nook don't run iPad apps.

It's definitely the strongest argument for the iPad mini, though perhaps we need to be a little cautious until we see just how good the overall experience is on the smaller screen.

Bear in mind that the mini will be displaying the iPad tablet apps in the same resolution, but on a screen that's about 3/4 the size. The buttons and text will shrink accordingly. This is one of the reasons why commentators are disappointed that the mini wasn't released with a retina class screen.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 10-25-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #113
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Here's why I can't wait to get my hands on an iPad Mini - I presently carry both the Kindle Fire HD and my iPad 3 around with me wherever I go. I can't read for any extended period of time on the iPad - it's just too heavy. That said, there are some key pieces of software that are on the iPad that do not have versions that will run on the Kindle, so I have to have the iPad with me. If the Mini is small enough for hour+ long reading, and can run all my iPad apps - that would be the only device I'd need to have with me 24/7.

One more thing - I still use the iPad for magazine reading. The Kindle is just too small for a good experience. If the slightly larger screen on the Mini is enough to tip that scale, that would be awesome. We'll see...
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #114
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
He was saying that the Kindle and the Nook don't run iPad apps.

It's definitely the strongest argument for the iPad mini, though perhaps we need to be a little cautious until we see just how good the overall experience is on the smaller screen.

Bear in mind that the mini will be displaying the iPad tablet apps in the same resolution, but on a screen that's about 3/4 the size. The buttons and text will shrink accordingly. This is one of the reasons why commentators are disappointed that the mini wasn't released with a retina class screen.

Graham
That is exactly what I was saying. I do not understand the connection of size to the retina screen. It would seem that the buttons would be just as hard to hit and a resolution of 163 ppi is like indistinguishable to the 167 of E Ink devices. I think the extra processing required for retina class is not justified on this size screen. We will have to wait to see what people's experience are but I suspect they will be positive. It is half the weight of a full size iPad and still substantially larger than 7" devices. I can live with my iPad 2 with 134 ppi but 163 would be much better.

Dale
Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #115
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
That is exactly what I was saying. I do not understand the connection of size to the retina screen. It would seem that the buttons would be just as hard to hit and a resolution of 163 ppi is like indistinguishable to the 167 of E Ink devices.
Yes, the buttons would still be as hard to hit, but the text would be sharper so easier to read in the smaller size.

I see what you're saying with regard to the sharpness of the text compared to eInk; it's more the text on buttons, settings, lists and notifications that I'm referring to, rather than displayed text where you have control over the font size.

Bear in mind when comparing to eInk that the interface there is designed for the screen size (around 6"). The iPad mini will be using the tablet versions of the iPad apps, designed for a screen about another 2" larger on the diagonal.

It may well be fine, but probably worth checking in the shops before purchase to see if it suits you.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 10-25-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #116
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
That is exactly what I was saying. I do not understand the connection of size to the retina screen. It would seem that the buttons would be just as hard to hit and a resolution of 163 ppi is like indistinguishable to the 167 of E Ink devices. I think the extra processing required for retina class is not justified on this size screen....[< my bolding]
I don't see the logic of that last sentence, Dale.

The retina screen makes a dramatic difference on the iPhone 4, so why not on an iPad Mini? Its absence from the Mini is the reason why I am now in two minds about buying one. I suspect Retina will be the big feature of the next release.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #117
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I don't see the logic of that last sentence, Dale.

The retina screen makes a dramatic difference on the iPhone 4, so why not on an iPad Mini? Its absence from the Mini is the reason why I am now in two minds about buying one. I suspect Retina will be the big feature of the next release.
Yes, retina makes a big different on iPhone 4 which you hold much closer to your face but what does retina mean? It is high resolution usually 4x what you get on the older screen. 4x is used to avoid dithering the pixels to achieve the higher resolution you just dup the bits resulting in 2x height and 2x width. When you have only 134 ppi at the ipad 1 and 2 then it makes sense but when you start with over 160 ppi it makes much less sense particularly when you have to have a huge battery drain and screen draw time to achieve it and you aren't likely to hold an 8" screen close to your face anyway. YMMV

Dale
Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #118
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes, retina makes a big different on iPhone 4 which you hold much closer to your face but what does retina mean? It is high resolution usually 4x what you get on the older screen. 4x is used to avoid dithering the pixels to achieve the higher resolution you just dup the bits resulting in 2x height and 2x width. When you have only 134 ppi at the ipad 1 and 2 then it makes sense but when you start with over 160 ppi it makes much less sense particularly when you have to have a huge battery drain and screen draw time to achieve it and you aren't likely to hold an 8" screen close to your face anyway. YMMV

Dale
It depends on what you are using the iPad for and on the individual's eyes. If for reading then the higher resolution is justifiable. I had a 132 ppi iPad 1 and I could not read very long on it because of fuzzy text. I now have an iPad 3 and I can read for hours without any eyestrain. I just bought a Kindle Fire HD with 216 ppi for reading because it is much smaller and less heavy than the iPad 3. The lower resolution while readable does cause some eyestrain, and since the iPad mini has only 162 ppi I'm quite sure it would cause even more eyestrain during prolonged reading. As far as reading, the smaller the text the greater the issue when it comes to lower resolution screens. Illustrations can also be fuzzy at lower resolutions.

I waited until the iPad mini was announced before deciding against it for the Fire HD. I like the apps and OS much better on the iPad mini, but the lower resolution on a device I was primarily going to use to read coupled with the high price made my choice an easy one. For those with better eyes than mine and/or with a different use for the mini, the resolution might not matter.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #119
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

Dale
My personal minimum so as to not be annoyed by pixelation is around 200ppi. Sure, I wouldn't need 2048x1536 on the iPad Mini but I'd certainly appreciate something in between that and the Mini's current res. I'm actually quite content with the Nexus 7's 216 PPI pixel density.

You're right, though, either the CPU/GPU and LCD panel need to consume much less power or battery tech needs to get better. More likely, it'll be a combination of both as time goes by and tech improves. Right now, having to power 4x the number of pixels (assuming it would use the same res as the iPad 3/4) while keeping the same 10-hour battery life would require too big a battery and a significant increase in thickness and weight.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #120
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I spent some time reading on a friends Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 today - which has a ppi of 169. I found the text to be absolutely fine for reading and did not experience any eye strain issues. I'm not worried about the 163 ppi of the iPad mini.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote