Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #16
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
What I've seen on another forum I visit is a separate section for international posts, where each thread is marked with an ISO language tag: [ru], [jp], [zh], [it] etc. Something like that might work here too.
Could you put up the link so we can visit and have a look? Thanks.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
http://maayas.net/viewforum.php?f=4
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #18
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm! Interesting but confusing to some extent.
I think something more discrete to each language would be better. I've seen many examples of frustration non speakers have expressed so far towards other cultures. If we could get out of their faces they wouldn't object to our creating space for ourselves.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

To help sum up the confusion that reigns on the French thread. There were about 20 subjects being discussed that could have had their own threads. There are at this time 318 posts. Can you imagine having to read through this? Personnally I would skip off to something else, or some other site as I'm sure others do.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
To help sum up the confusion that reigns on the French thread. There were about 20 subjects being discussed that could have had their own threads. There are at this time 318 posts. Can you imagine having to read through this? Personnally I would skip off to something else, or some other site as I'm sure others do.
I would find it much better to have an International Forum with language subsections and then they could have whatever topic they wished.

The system we have today triggers new messages every time one of the foreign language folks post and this means I have to clear it or check it since you can't tell from the top that it is a foreign language post.

So, for both of these reasons it is a win-win for everybody. We also need to find a way to have foreign language pages in the wiki. Today you might click on something only to find you can't read it depending on what language is was written in.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #21
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Why haven't the administrators already done it? It's not so hard and it doesn't seem to need too much of a discussion.

In the main page, just create below
"Book Recommendations
Books you are reading right now, books that e-book worms could enjoy"

just add something like

«Mobileread International
Deutsch, Español, Français, Italiano, Nederlands, Português, Русский»

Then create the subforums:
Deutsch
Español
Français
Italiano
Nederlands
Português
Русский

In any of these subforums, just ask someone to moderate it and create a sticky post written in the given language with a welcome message and the forum rules.

When it comes to special devices, people should add a special tag in their language subforum:

[Cybook Gen3]Será o dispositivo indicado para mim?
[Sony PRS505]Versão em azul ou cinzenta?
[iLiad]É muito caro, será que compensa?
[Cybook Gen3]Bloqueia ao virar as páginas :/

I can write the Portuguese message.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would find it much better to have an International Forum with language subsections and then they could have whatever topic they wished.

The system we have today triggers new messages every time one of the foreign language folks post and this means I have to clear it or check it since you can't tell from the top that it is a foreign language post.

So, for both of these reasons it is a win-win for everybody. We also need to find a way to have foreign language pages in the wiki. Today you might click on something only to find you can't read it depending on what language is was written in.

Dale
To help filter what you read just look at the forum name at the right. For instance, I skip those from the Kindle forum. There is so much there that I don't have time to read it all.

We could have a forum for other languages that we could call "International" and one subcategory for each language and then categories for devices, books and general talk. That would mean 3 for each language, more than enough.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
What I've seen on another forum I visit is a separate section for international posts, where each thread is marked with an ISO language tag: [ru], [jp], [zh], [it] etc. Something like that might work here too.
This is something we've been considering for a while. Not only with languages, but also in other areas (for instance, pre-defined thread prefixes could indicate a book format, or a type of device (PRS-500 vs. PRS-505), or the type of thread (question vs. review vs. notice), etc). These prefixes could then even be used for specifying searches.

Until now, this was not possible without some serious code hacking (which we usually try to avoid). The developers of our forum software gave us a glimpse of the next forum update, and fortunately, it'll include those prefixes! So once the next update is released, we'll have the tools to define different thread prefixes for different forum sections.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thread-prefixes.png
Views:	375
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	7487

Click image for larger version

Name:	thread-prefixes-forumdisplay.png
Views:	369
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	7488

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiogo View Post
Why haven't the administrators already done it? It's not so hard and it doesn't seem to need too much of a discussion.
Heh, we are following this thread very closely and thinking about the best solution. I like your suggestions a lot. My only concern is that it'll always have someone who'd rightly feel discriminated because his or her language was not included. But perhaps this is not so much a problem as I think it could be.

The nice aspect about your suggestion is that we could combine it with igorsk's previous suggestion above. We could add pre-defined tags in each of the language sections, and these tags would basically include all the devices that we've dedicated English sections for.

How does this sound?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #24
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Sounds cool.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 AM   #25
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
So once the next update is released, we'll have the tools to define different thread prefixes for different forum sections.

How does this sound?
Sounds perfect!

When is this next update expected?

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 AM   #26
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
When is this next update expected? L.
The first public beta will be released shortly (I guess in 1-2 weeks). Usually we refrain from using MobileRead as a beta test platform though. Hence we'll have to decide whether we should go ahead without the thread prefixes, and add them later once the beta turns gold.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #27
dantea
dantea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Great, its perfect
dantea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 AM   #28
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I think it would be really cool.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #29
anuski
anuski began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Thumbs up

:
anuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #30
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
German thread closed?

Hi guys,

does anybody know, why the german thread in the Sony forum was closed?

Maybe somebody can re-open it?

StDo
StDo is offline   Reply With Quote