Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #166
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Might it be that your, say, power button (I'm not very familiar with K4NT, so guessing based on my KT) is somehow short-circuited and thus constantly seems to be pressed to your Kindle?
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #167
skirs
skirs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Seems that no, I checked "power up" and four lines "home" buttons. There are no any problems with them. I am totally disassembled my Kindle to be able to check everythiing...
skirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #168
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Right after "Welcome to Kindle!" there is a login:, hard to see because of status messages. You have a very short amount of time to type "root" <enter> and then it will ask for your password. You can type that quickly, and then paste a clipboard full of commands that you already copied from a script.

The minimum you need to do is "touch /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS". Then it should reboot to diagnostics mode, where there is more that can be done. On a k4, you can export an SSH shell. On a touch, you can either run /mnt/us/runme.sh or push a reverse shell using netcat (nc).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #169
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
greetings.
I have a very simple question regarding jailbreaking Kindle Touch. I have 5.0.3 firmware update installed.

Is it possible to completely revert the jailbreak afterwards?
I am paranoid, so I have to be sure I will be able to turn back everything some sunny day if the things go wrong.

thank you.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #170
skirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Right after "Welcome to Kindle!" there is a login:, hard to see because of status messages. You have a very short amount of time to type "root" <enter> and then it will ask for your password. You can type that quickly, and then paste a clipboard full of commands that you already copied from a script.

The minimum you need to do is "touch /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS". Then it should reboot to diagnostics mode, where there is more that can be done. On a k4, you can export an SSH shell. On a touch, you can either run /mnt/us/runme.sh or push a reverse shell using netcat (nc).
I cannot do login because my Kindle does not react on my keyboard input from Putty or RealTerm programs.

I put ENABLE_DIAGS file on USB disk (when Kindle exports this for few seconds) but Kindle does not react on this also. It is still constantly rebooting.

Unfortunately, I have no digital oscilloscope here to check what kind of signal is on the TxD line when I am trying to send something. But, just before I have started to build 5V->1.8V adaptation scheme, I checked with analog oscilloscope what is the signal on the TxD line. I used simple batch file for this with only two command inside: echo "1234567890" > COM4 and 1.bat after. 1.bat is the same file.

So, now, I cannot understand what kind of problem I have. Probably, by some reason, my USB->RS232 adapter does not send any signal to Kindle, or probably, Kindle currently is in some "do not receive anything from Serial line" mode.

Did you or probably your friends ever meet the same problem?

Last edited by skirs; 02-07-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #171
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
greetings.
I have a very simple question regarding jailbreaking Kindle Touch. I have 5.0.3 firmware update installed.

Is it possible to completely revert the jailbreak afterwards?
I am paranoid, so I have to be sure I will be able to turn back everything some sunny day if the things go wrong.

thank you.
I would like to know this too.

Is there some unroot/unjailbreak procedure? Just in case...

Thanks.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #172
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirs View Post
I cannot do login because my Kindle does not react on my keyboard input from Putty or RealTerm programs.

I put ENABLE_DIAGS file on USB disk (when Kindle exports this for few seconds) but Kindle does not react on this also. It is still constantly rebooting.

Unfortunately, I have no digital oscilloscope here to check what kind of signal is on the TxD line when I am trying to send something. But, just before I have started to build 5V->1.8V adaptation scheme, I checked with analog oscilloscope what is the signal on the TxD line. I used simple batch file for this with only two command inside: echo "1234567890" > COM4 and 1.bat after. 1.bat is the same file.

So, now, I cannot understand what kind of problem I have. Probably, by some reason, my USB->RS232 adapter does not send any signal to Kindle, or probably, Kindle currently is in some "do not receive anything from Serial line" mode.

Did you or probably your friends ever meet the same problem?
For my 3.3v USB adapter TxD to be seen by the kindle RxD, I had to limit the voltage. Some adapters do not need that, but mine certainly did. You can look up the "level shifter circuit" on these forums for how I did that. Whether you need it depends on your particular adapter. I sounds like you do not need to shift the levels from the kindle TxD to the adapter RxD.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #173
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamana View Post
I would like to know this too.

Is there some unroot/unjailbreak procedure? Just in case...

Thanks.
The jailbreak only installed a key file. This key file ALLOWS you to install signed "update" packages which may include apps, hacks, kindlets, etc.. You can just delete that keyfile to "un-jailbreak" (but AFTER you run other app uninstallers). It is OTHER hacks that make deeper changes to your system, which SHOULD come with uninstaller instructions and/or signed update uninstaller packages.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #174
geekmaster

I can repeatedly (mostly) debrick my k4 (and touch should be the same) using USB (HID) Recovery and fastboot:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=29

This is even with my serial port RxD line no longer working, so I cannot type u-boot or bist commands (which I now force in custom u-boot images, mostly to get to fastboot mode).

I can reflash my partitions from here. ;-)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #175
skirs

Quote:
For my 3.3v USB adapter TxD to be seen by the kindle RxD, I had to limit the voltage. Some adapters do not need that, but mine certainly did. You can look up the "level shifter circuit" on these forums for how I did that. Whether you need it depends on your particular adapter. I sounds like you do not need to shift the levels from the kindle TxD to the adapter RxD.
Hello,

It is now in diags mode. I just kept it for whole day charging and ENABLE_DIAGS file was on the USB drive all the time. I found very useful option for me when I discovered what is available from the diags menu. I may see also everything that I am doing on the serial console output:

Spoiler:

WHITNEY - Misc individual diagnostics
~~~~~~ 1.0.6.215 ~~~ -1095382360 ~~~~~~~~~~~~
C) Certification Test Mode
I) Wifi Test
L) LED Test
K) Key test
V) Video Test
W) WAN
M) Accelerometer
P) Proximity Sensor
T) Touch Sensor
F) FCT Test
A) Accessory Port
~ U ~ Utilities
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
X) Exit

(763, 2809) line: 26, Utilities
Command: U
system_diags[Utilities] 3 INFO : Start test
WHITNEY - Utilities
~~~~~~ 1.0.6.215 ~~~ -1095382624 ~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ E ~ 511 with wan and device info
D) WAN Desense Test
Z) Enable USBnet
M) Mount nfs
S) Stress Tests
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
X) Exit

The most interesting option for me is Enable USBnet. Probably, it would be enough for me to just download all system's startup scripts and compare them with my backup version.

BTW: The Kindle does not react on my serial console output even in this mode. So, it seems that my problem is hardware problem. I will check my adapter's and lever shifter's TxD line when I will get an access to digital or at least to analogue oscilloscope.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #176
aliar
aliar began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505, Kindle DXG, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 1
Thanks Yifanlu.

Which uninstall file I can use to uninstall ixtab's jailbreak? Thanks again.
aliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #177
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
@aliar

From Yifanlu´s site (first post on this thread):

Quote:
Uninstallation

If you wish to uninstall the jailbreak, it is recommended that you first uninstall all packages first because you cannot run any other uninstallers after removing the jailbreak.

Plug in the Kindle and copy the uninstaller .bin for your device to the Kindle’s USB drive’s root (update_jailbreak_X.Y_k4_uninstall.bin = Kindle 4, update_jailbreak_X.Y_k5_uninstall.bin = Kindle Touch)
Safely remove the USB cable
On the device, go to Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #178
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'd be very grateful, geekmaster, if you would write a little more about how you used USB HID mode to eventually launch ssh. I can get my bricked KT into USB HID mode (with the wiki information), but then you talk about two things that are beyond my technical knowledge, using a custom u-boot image and flashing the kernel. Once it's at the Diags menu it looks easy to start usbnet. Then I can fix mine, which probably is bricked by a problem others are also dealing with, judging by the notice at the top of the wiki, of /var/local filling up.

Quote:
I can repeatedly (mostly) debrick my k4 (and touch should be the same) using USB (HID) Recovery and fastboot:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=29

This is even with my serial port RxD line no longer working, so I cannot type u-boot or bist commands (which I now force in custom u-boot images, mostly to get to fastboot mode).

I can reflash my partitions from here. ;-)
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #179
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetcop View Post
I'd be very grateful, geekmaster, if you would write a little more about how you used USB HID mode to eventually launch ssh. I can get my bricked KT into USB HID mode (with the wiki information), but then you talk about two things that are beyond my technical knowledge, using a custom u-boot image and flashing the kernel. Once it's at the Diags menu it looks easy to start usbnet. Then I can fix mine, which probably is bricked by a problem others are also dealing with, judging by the notice at the top of the wiki, of /var/local filling up.
Most bricked kindles do not need reflashing. It is just the root partition that is damaged, so you should still be able to boot to diags mode if you can just get it there. You should not need to go into fastboot mode or use the fastboot tool.

I will provide a custom u-boot that forces diag mode. Then the next reboot should enter the diagnostics menu. In diagnostics mode you can also run a runme.sh script using a variation of the ixtab jailbreak.

I will provide a package to do these things very soon.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #180
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I hope your tool is properly coded and does not depend on sb_loader/mfgtool. USB hid is a powerful and dangerous tool. I lead you step by step into fixing your device. You sure you can make a tool to do it again without help?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote