Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
AAA Member 10% Discount at Barnes & Noble

I was just paying my insurance and noticed the link for AAA member discounts so I thought I would peek at what might be there...well I found this link:

http://ww2.aaa.com/scripts/WebObject....0.9.13.30.4.1

According to the info the AAA Member discount is on top of any online discounts. Also, it's possible the discount my apply to the Nook as well. Only way to know for sure is to try it out. I am not going to be buying a Nook as far as I can tell but someone might...also given the confusion about using things like B&N gift cards, etc, it's hard to know if the AAA will be honored for ebooks. If not I would complain to AAA as it's their reputation at stake and their pretty good about companies sticking to these sort of agreements.

Anyway, maybe this will save a person some spare change over the course of a year...hope it works.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot that AAA members get the discount. I may give it a try to see if it will work on the nook.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried to order the nook and get the discount but was unable to do so. Consequently, I have sent the following e-mail to B&N customer service. When I get a reply, I will post it.

Quote:
I am a AAA member and according to your website, "AAA members receive a 10% discount on all orders*" except that "*Discounts do not apply to the purchase of gift cards, gift wrapping or B&N membership".

I tried to preorder the nook and apply the discount but there does not seem to be a way to do it from the AAA-B&N website, although the nook is shown on the website. Please advise me how to preorder the nook and get my 10% discount.

Also, I note that the AAA-B&N website doesn't seem to have a link for ebooks. How do I go about buying ebooks with my AAA 10% discount?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'd sure like to know the answer to your questions too!
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
oh. thanks for this infO!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Here it is, 2 days after sending my query and still no response. I renewed my queries yesterday. B&N does acknowledge receipt of the questions (automated response) but alas has not responded. Time to ask AAA, I think.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Well I finally got my response. Here it is:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for inquiring about nook, the world's most advanced eReader!

We value our Members, however, we believe nook is competitively priced and we are not offering any discounts on the purchase of the product.

However, Barnes & Noble Members can get FREE Expedited Air Shipping if they pre-order today! This is a limited time offer, so for more information about this promotion, please visit:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/offers/index.asp

Sincerely,

Lionel
Customer Service Representative
Barnes and Noble
http://www.bn.com/
Note that it is exactly the same response -- word for word -- that I received as regards the B&N club membership and from the same rep (or a second rep named Lionel).

Time to complain to AAA.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Well I finally got my response. Here it is:

Note that it is exactly the same response -- word for word -- that I received as regards the B&N club membership and from the same rep (or a second rep named Lionel).

Time to complain to AAA.
good info...and yup, I would shoot an note off to AAA as well. As a rule AAA is not too fond of such things, but in this day and age nothing surprises me anymore.

I have been a AAA member since I could drive, now that is only about 33yrs now but still, they have always been good about looking into such things where a hotel, restaurant or whatever failed to honor the AAA discount. Every time with a hotel they got me my refund and in one instance, because it was a month long stay, I got a free week stay anywhere anytime just for failing to properly honor the AAA rate when they should have. Not only did AAA take care of me, the hotel also went well beyond what needed done and earned me as a lifelong customer.

I never understand why companies do try and exclude some items or whatever as the discount simply works out to a marketing/advertising tax write-off anyway. I mean they are talking about only about $26 anyway. If that were the difference between grabbing a new customer and losing one, I say that cost is well worth it as a business.

Look forward to read what comes up...and BTW, thanks for running with this one. I am not intending on buying a Nook but had hoped people would like the discount if they were considering buying one..

brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

To tell the truth, I don't understand B&N's thinking. Let's assume that the $259 pricepoint is breakeven on the nook. If I had been head of B&N when the pricing was set, I would have set pricing at $289 and said all B&N club members (and AAA members) can get a 10% discount plus free shipping. I would have priced the device so that I could give my members a discount and encourage nonmembers to become a member.

I do not believe that someone would choose to order a Kindle instead of a nook simply because the Kindle was $30 cheaper. Well, perhaps a few would but think how many more club members would have been happy. Similarly, I would enact a special club program for ebooks. Buy 1, get 5%; buy 2 get 10%; buy 5 get 20% off the total order.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that B&N's most valuable asset is its club members. They are the ones who do less price shopping, because if they were strictly price shoppers, they wouldn't buy at B&N.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
To tell the truth, I don't understand B&N's thinking. Let's assume that the $259 pricepoint is breakeven on the nook. If I had been head of B&N when the pricing was set, I would have set pricing at $289 and said all B&N club members (and AAA members) can get a 10% discount plus free shipping. I would have priced the device so that I could give my members a discount and encourage nonmembers to become a member.

I do not believe that someone would choose to order a Kindle instead of a nook simply because the Kindle was $30 cheaper. Well, perhaps a few would but think how many more club members would have been happy. Similarly, I would enact a special club program for ebooks. Buy 1, get 5%; buy 2 get 10%; buy 5 get 20% off the total order.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that B&N's most valuable asset is its club members. They are the ones who do less price shopping, because if they were strictly price shoppers, they wouldn't buy at B&N.
What you are suggesting is called "creative marketing" and makes great sense.

I'm thinking BN needs a new marketing director. Someone who actually understands retail and customer needs.

And do you know, you can still get a refurbished K1 for $149....cheaper books, more selection, free two day shipping, 30 day return with no restocking fee (you just pay return shipping), you still get the sd card slot and replaceable battery.

Now.......you can't loan you books, but you sure as heck can strip the drm on those you buy and loan them out!

But.......the nook is prettier.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
And do you know, you can still get a refurbished K1 for $149....cheaper books, more selection, free two day shipping, 30 day return with no restocking fee (you just pay return shipping), you still get the sd card slot and replaceable battery.
If money were my only consideration, I would probably buy the refurbished K1; but it isn't.

I won't buy a Kindle regardless of price for several reasons. First, I don't approve of Amazon's tactics vis-a-vis publishers (and I'm not suggesting that publishers are angels). Amazon's approach hurts more than just the publishers.

Second, I don't approve of Amazon's closed formats and apparent unwillingness to offer ePub. Yes, I know I can buy mobi books elsewhere and load them onto the Kindle, or I can buy other formats, strip the DRM, convert them using calibre, and load them. But Amazon owns mobi and who knows what its future plans are (I certainly do not approve of its requiring mobi-only if another device maker wants to offer mobi-drm capabilities) and I see no reason why I should have to go through the strip-convert (which is illegal here in the U.S.) process just so I can say I own a Kindle.

Third, I'm concerned about Amazon's TOS and ability to invade my privacy at will. Yes, I realize that I can keep the wireless off and thwart Amazon, but once you take away the wireless, which is your access to the Amazon bookstore and low prices, what is the reason to own a Kindle? I see none for me.

Fourth, and last for today, is that I don't like the ergonomics or the looks.

I spend many hours every day reading, so I'm willing to spend money on a device to satisfy my peculiar sense of aesthetics and on books that do not support the Amazon-centric world that Jeff Bezos promotes.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Fourth, and last for today, is that I don't like the ergonomics or the looks.

I spend many hours every day reading, so I'm willing to spend money on a device to satisfy my peculiar sense of aesthetics and on books that do not support the Amazon-centric world that Jeff Bezos promotes.
Well, I realize how it sounded, but when I said "you" in my previous post, I wasn't referring to "You". Does that make sense?

I imagine we'd see the second coming before we'd see you with a Kindle.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I imagine we'd see the second coming before we'd see you with a Kindle.
Maybe not. It is always possible that Bezos will get religion, have an epiphany, see the light, give me a big, fat consulting contract regarding ebooks and ebook device design, and actually take my advice. In which case, you might see me with a Kindle sooner than the second coming.

Actually, if he just gave me a big fat contract -- say $20 million (after taxes, of course) over the next 5 years -- I'm not sure I'd care about the rest but I'd sure be happy to buy a Kindle.

I'm willing to admit that like most politicians, I can readily be bought and I'm willing to compromise my principles and my morals. Its just that I think too much of my principles and morals to let them be bought for a paltry $149 when I know the Jeff B will eventually come through and pay me what I deserve (I did mention $20 million didn't I?).

And in that vein, let me say to Desertgrandma for distinguishing You and you. I'm proud to say that I'm just you (unlike my local city councilperson who truly is weaselish and neither a You or a you!).
Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Well, I just got AAA's response and B&N refuses to honor the discount. However, AAA says it will continue to pursue the matter. Here is the response from AAA:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Adin-
Thank you for your message regarding the Nook and Barnes & Noble eBooks. Unfortunately, at this time, Barnes & Noble has decided not to offer these items at a discount. We will continue to pursue the discount and we hope to be able to offer it to members in the near future.
We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced.
We appreciate your AAA membership and look forward to serving your future motoring and travel needs.
Sincerely,
Perhaps if other AAA members also wrote and complained, the process might move a little faster and get resolved in our favor.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-13-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Removed personal contact info as requested
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's similar to Amazon not giving their affiliate commissions for ebooks. They price them so low that there isn't a margin for commissions.

I bet the nook is priced just above manufacturing costs + advertising costs for B&N. They just want to get these into as many hands as possible.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aaa, barnes, discount, noble