Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #736
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
There seem to be lots of stories with that kind of topic. Anyone remember The Genesis Tub from the Simpsons, Treehouse of Horror VII? I loved that one...

(Not really helping, of course, but I was glad to be reminded of it by this thread.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #737
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Thanks for the great suggestions by all. Perhaps at some point it will come to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Microcosmic God by Theodore Sturgeon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcosmic_God
The best suggestion yet, even if it is not the story I'm thinking of. A good enough suggestion that I will have to find and read that one! The story I am thinking of is told in the omniscient third party voice and ends with the observation that the ants are building that tower to try and find out what happened to "ant god" and speak to him. The author concludes that the thought of that scares him. It's a bitch that I can recall so much about the story, but not a clue as to title or author.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #738
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I thought of that(Microcosmic God) but it's not about ants.

Last edited by BenG; 01-06-2014 at 10:09 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #739
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
The closest thing I could find was "Ant God" by James Lovegrove.

Quote:
One day though Jason starts to create an earthquake for a nest of ants and then using a magnifying glass he starts to kill them. From doing this he starts to think that the ants see him as some sort of god that control events on their lives. This leads him into one of his long though processes which he eventually emerges from with a new creation.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 AM   #740
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Microcosmic God by Theodore Sturgeon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcosmic_God
I know it wasn't what the OP was looking for, but thank you for that suggestion, excellent read!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #741
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
The book I want find the name of is a fantasy book, with a roman type sword down the spine on the hard-cover edition, and a woman in armour raising a sword into the air, while mounted in a rearing horse, and has two men behind her. There is a major plot twist at the the end, when the prince or hero dies when you aren't expecting them too. because they are some sort of saviour. If anyone could help that would be great, as this has been bugging me since 2011! It's not Oath of Gold by Elizabeth Moon, though. It is also part of a trilogy (I think).
I've been meaning to respond to this for a while, intending to search cover art sites to see if my suspicions lined up. Unfortunately, I've been too lazy to do even that much, so I have nothing to offer on the cover art. BUT, plot-wise, this reminds me of Paul Edwin Zimmer's "Dark Border" series. My memory is that the second book ends with the death of the major hero, and the damsel in distress being literally eaten alive. What's weird is that everyone insists that this is it--the series ended exactly where the author intended, and there is no third book.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #742
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Help Identifying Ebook

Hope this is in right section, I'm sure I downloaded in last couple of months,an amazon uk daily deal set in the west of Ireland about 4 killings in a single house over a 24 hour period.

I've double checked my library and can't seem to find it, I did go on a bit of a spree over the Christmas period though.

Any assistance appreciated.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #743
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Might help if you mentioned if it was fiction or true crime or biography. But also, you can go to amazon and look over the list of your "purchases" free and otherwise. Compare that list to your library and you can re-download it.

Last edited by LadyKate; 02-09-2014 at 01:29 PM.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #744
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry its fiction, I've been working through my library this afternoon with no luck. I think when browsing on amazon, I saw it again in a link, found I had already purchased it but can't remember neither title nor author now.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #745
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
The book I want find the name of is a fantasy book, with a roman type sword down the spine on the hard-cover edition, and a woman in armour raising a sword into the air, while mounted in a rearing horse, and has two men behind her. There is a major plot twist at the the end, when the prince or hero dies when you aren't expecting them too. because they are some sort of saviour. If anyone could help that would be great, as this has been bugging me since 2011! It's not Oath of Gold by Elizabeth Moon, though. It is also part of a trilogy (I think).
No idea plot-wise, but I have seen a book where the cover seemed to match the description, that was "Xanth" by Piers Anthony. Did not read it, however.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 AM   #746
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Did this thread get moved to here recently?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #747
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
No idea plot-wise, but I have seen a book where the cover seemed to match the description, that was "Xanth" by Piers Anthony. Did not read it, however.

Best regards,
Andy
Xanth is a series some 20+ books long.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #748
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Okay, so now it's been moved back to Reading Recommendations (from General Discussions )
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #749
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, so now it's been moved back to Reading Recommendations (from General Discussions )
According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, it's impossible to know simultaneously both the exact location and speed of any one thread at MobileRead.

Honestly, we don't know what happened, but it's fixed now.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #750
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Xanth is a series some 20+ books long.
OK, that sounds interesting. Is it any good?

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths